Search results have changed...

I don't know why I am doing this at 10PM New York time --- about 3AM in the UK, I think, but I've started searching subjects and am not getting the mouse-over zoom. When I zoom on an image I'm getting the sort of page that many have noted in Google search results. Like this below.... a real change or some abnormality I am seeing????

Paulette

Buy this Hi Res stock photo for:

Presentation

Use in presentations, worldwide for 5 years.

US$25

Buy now 
(No subscription necessary!)

The results I noted above happen when I use more than one search term. If I only use one word I do get the mouseover zoom and a zoom gives me a more "normal" result.

Paulette

Edit: Things are changing as I write. The number of search words doesn't matter. Mouse-over zooms seem to be back. I'll be interested to see what happens in the AM. I am going to sleep now.

First thought is that the 'Edit' button has disappeared again from a zoomed image.

On the plus side, at least the 'Chat' button has moved.

I see there's now a 'curated' collection - or had I just missed that before?

Steve

Well spotted, Paulette.

Alamy have obviously been trialling this for some time for their search engine results and have now implemented it into their sales plans.  I think that the simplification is probably a good thing.  For me, the search engine results always default to the cheapest sales option (Presentation: £15.00) as the selected option, whereas the new 'zooms' default to the 'Marketing package:Large business', £149.00 option.

On the whole, I think that this is a positive move, enabling those who want a quick sale being able to get it, while those who require more guidance will get in touch, as before.

First thought is that the 'Edit' button has disappeared again from a zoomed image.

On the plus side, at least the 'Chat' button has moved.

I see there's now a 'curated' collection - or had I just missed that before?

Steve

"Curated" has been there for a while. I'm not sure what it really means as opposed to "Creative".

Paulette

I just noticed that the keywords are now in alphabetical order. Useful, I think, in finding whether I have forgotten a keyword. I have recently started putting my name in the keywords in quotes and that does appear correctly in the right order without the quotes. So maybe those of you who have continued to use quotes in keywords are going to find it pays off -- at least in terms of how they show up in the zooms. I wonder if they will now affect search results. Now I'm sorry I stopped doing it. Maybe Alamy can let us know????

Paulette

Curated means it looks good, but never sells. It is however very good to promote a stock agency. So in that sense it maybe helps selling all the rest of the images.

But when it's slightly outdated, it makes you look out of fashion.

The description is still not visible in the frame. Something the competitors would never do. And something a buyer does not want: Show important information as close to the image as possible.

A client wants to make a decision quickly. No guessing or scrolling. Yikes. What was the title of that book again? Don't Make Me Think!

Please read it before you design a page. Read it before you have someone design a page for you.

wim

edit: typo

(too much steam coming out of my ears)

Just noticed something else. "Stock photo" appears as the first couple of words in the caption. I wonder what has happened if we already used up all our allotted characters in the caption?

Paulette

Edit: Just checked and it is just added even if we have used up all the allotted characters. So the caption becomes longer.

Interesting that it is no longer a pop-up. Mine defaults to Marketing Package - Large Business - $239.00.

I noticed that all the keywords in Comprehensive run together and aren't separated alphabetically except for the first one.

Jill

On advice from Alamy (in the past) I often paid much attention to the word order of certain keywords. Now it appears they're automatically ordered alphabetically, does word order of keywords no longer have any effect on search results?

dd

On advice from Alamy (in the past) I often paid much attention to the word order of certain keywords. Now it appears they're automatically ordered alphabetically, does word order of keywords no longer have any effect on search results?

dd

This was a question also when they started showing the keywords as links. They did respond that the search function hadn't changed. Words that we put next to each other do work in searches as before.

Paulette

Interesting that it is no longer a pop-up. Mine defaults to Marketing Package - Large Business - $239.00.

I noticed that all the keywords in Comprehensive run together and aren't separated alphabetically except for the first one.

Jill

That is not happening for me, Jill. Is it possible that you keyworded in Lightroom and did them as one long keyword instead of separating them by commas? I have been keywording mostly in Alamy and by individual image. Too time consuming. I must find a way to do some batch work adding quotation marks where necessary. I wonder if the brackets are working now too. I'm hoping Alamy will give us some information.

Paulette

I always add Latin names for animals and I will have to put quotation marks in order to keep the words together now. I don't want to do that in the caption. I wonder if the words will stay together if I just do it in the Main section. I guess I will try that and see what it looks like tomorrow.

Paulette

Jill

That is not happening for me, Jill. Is it possible that you keyworded in Lightroom and did them as one long keyword instead of separating them by commas? I have been keywording mostly in Alamy and by individual image. Too time consuming. I must find a way to do some batch work adding quotation marks where necessary. I wonder if the brackets are working now too. I'm hoping Alamy will give us some information.

Paulette

I keyworded in PS but its only the ones in the comprehensive box that run together. Keywords in Essential and Main are alphabetized in order.

I don't use the comprehensive box often, except for keywords I don't want coming up on main pages but might be relevant to a specific multi-word search.

I have Lightroom and don't know about PS but if you keyword in Lightroom those keywords go automatically into the Comprehensive field. Also, if you keyword in Lightroom and put them in as a group without using commas they go in as one long keyword. If your PS work goes into Alamy in the Comprehensive field and you move them into Main from there it might account for what is happening.

Paulette

I have Lightroom and don't know about PS but if you keyword in Lightroom those keywords go automatically into the Comprehensive field. Also, if you keyword in Lightroom and put them in as a group without using commas they go in as one long keyword. If your PS work goes into Alamy in the Comprehensive field and you move them into Main from there it might account for what is happening.

Paulette

I make up my templates in Bridge them import into PS, adding any more specific keywords for that particular photo. When I do them in Manage Images, all the keywords are in the Comprehensive field and I cut and paste from there into Essential and Main, rarely using Comprehensive. I never put any commas in my keywords when adding them. Not a big deal of course

Jill

Well I have found that if I put Latin names in quotes they do appear correctly (together) in the new zooms. That is true even if I don't put them in quotes in the caption. For some reason my bears don't have their Latin names showing up at all. I don't know what difference that makes in searches but I'm going to write Alamy about it and I will ask if the quotes and brackets are now implemented in searches.

Paulette

I got a very quick reply from Alamy. They wanted reference numbers for my bears and when I started going through them I realized that the ones that weren't showing the Latin name in the new Zoom window were the ones where I had only put the Latin name in the Caption -- not in the Keywords. So now i need to correct that I guess. I asked about the quotes and brackets... This is their response..

"It is not a mandatory to complete as they’re additional annotation "options".

Some parts are already live such as proximity and quotes. Our search engine will prioritise an image with keywords in order "blue car dog" when a search is made for "blue car".

It will be returned lower in a result for a search for "blue dog".

The other additional syntax annotation options are not live as not enough contributors have used them to make it worthwhile releasing.

We cannot give a realistic timeframe of when (or even if) they’ll be implemented as we’re concentrating development time to other areas of our search engine and other parts of the site."

Paulette

I got a very quick reply from Alamy. They wanted reference numbers for my bears and when I started going through them I realized that the ones that weren't showing the Latin name in the new Zoom window were the ones where I had only put the Latin name in the Caption -- not in the Keywords. So now i need to correct that I guess. I asked about the quotes and brackets... This is their response..

"It is not a mandatory to complete as they’re additional annotation "options".

Some parts are already live such as proximity and quotes. Our search engine will prioritise an image with keywords in order "blue car dog" when a search is made for "blue car".

It will be returned lower in a result for a search for "blue dog".

The other additional syntax annotation options are not live as not enough contributors have used them to make it worthwhile releasing.

We cannot give a realistic timeframe of when (or even if) they’ll be implemented as we’re concentrating development time to other areas of our search engine and other parts of the site."

Paulette

That's good to know. I have always used proximity and have been using quotes increasingly often as it is no great overhead. I will perhaps look at the others again but there is a bit of a chicken and egg problem with member services' response!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived