Czech distributors and general sales

I have just had a (second, distributor) sale to the Czech republic which is now my lowest ever and equates with microstock prices.  I only had my first distributor sale in June and I have to say...well, quite a lot actually, but suffice it to say that I am not a fan.  I deliberately held out of the newspaper scheme and NU for precisely these reasons, and now I get these kinds of sales.  I know that I'm not alone here.

After a handful of distributor sales, I am now seriously considering pulling out of the scheme in April.  In fact, I'm beginning to doubt why I continue with this agency (had a couple of really pathetic sales that weren't through distributors).

If the volume was there at low prices, well OK, but it ain't.  And if a sale won't buy me a pair of shoelaces, let alone the bus fare, then I really feel I'm wasting my time here.  Sorry, but I'm really fuming right now.  Having just got a decent payout from another agency, I feel like I'm being kicked in the teeth here.

What's your general experience?  Have you lived through this and stuck with it?  Did you drop out of the scheme?  Did your ranking suffer as a result?  Need some support here.

You really don't have any control over distributor sales. So let it be. The way I see it, it's a GREAT progress to get certain people to PAY for photographs instead of snatch them from internet, however pathetic is the price.

I've had a few distributor sales, mostly of a reasonable gross. It is frustrating to see the net at the end of the day I agree. Similarly, I had a distributor sale to the Czech Republic a couple of months ago. I think I ended up with about £1.50.

My view has always been the same, whether its distributor, NU, newspaper, a sale is a sale. I have always found that a couple of low value sales will be balanced out with a couple of higher value sales a bit later on.

I think its called "taking the rough with the smooth"  ;)

I'm in the distributor scheme to the hilt, but my distributor sales have declined considerably during the past year, while the proportion of Alamy sales has increased. Have no idea why. I now take the occasional pathetic distributor sale with the proverbial grain of salt, even with the high price of shoelaces these days. Eastern European and Russian Fed sales are especially frustrating. Still, I plan to stick with the scheme FBFW.

I had my highest gross sale ever- mid 4 figures, from a distributor earlier this year; Russia no less. So you just never know. Japan in particular brings fairly regular sales for me at typically higher prices than average.

Still I only get 30% of that so it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The odd low fee aside, I actually find that distributor sales are on average higher (gross) than Alamy direct. However, the amount that goes in my pocket can be is disappointing due to the unfavorable commission schedule. Overall, I think it's worth staying in though you may consider opting out of certain countries which bring consistently low fees.

-Jason

PS. Even if Alamy do not want to set minimum prices for direct sales, there really is NO reason they could not/should not do this with distributors!!! Many agencies have similar restrictions...

Czech Republic:

lowest: 4.91

Noc%20p%C5%99edt%C3%ADm.png

highest: 265.00 (this one)

total: $389.83

gross

Not sure which were distributor sales.

Here we say: I won't spit on that.

wim

edit: lost the link

I had a book cover - also crime fiction - in Poland and I didn't get anything like that much.

<sigh>OK, looks like the general opinion is that I should calm down and stick to Norman Stanley Fletcher's old adage (UK comedy reference).</sigh>

Looking forward to those big distributor sales.  ;)  Holding off any drastic action till April.  Thanks for your feedback, guys.

It's not just about the big sales, all sales add to the bottom line. The best returns in stock are generally from the agencies that provide the best and widest distribution networks - you can't rely on selling off just your home site any more. The commission rate you end up with means little. By far my best returns across my agencies come from those where two agencies are taking a bite - so at best for RM I get 25% but I still see far more than from agencies giving  me 50% off their home site plus a limited (as in Alamy) distribution network.

BTW, currently sitting in one cleared agency's accounting is a Corbis sale for 20 pence net.....would I ever give up Corbis as a distributor for that agency...hell no...... just add the 20p to the pot.

<sigh>OK, looks like the general opinion is that I should calm down and stick to

(UK comedy reference).</sigh>

Looking forward to those big distributor sales.  ;)  Holding off any drastic action till April.  Thanks for your feedback, guys.

Porridge was such a clever well written show

Fletch was right

Archived