Fuji's Chrome Film Setting

The two color films I absolutely loved were Velvia and Kodachrome.  I've read that the Fuji chrome setting on the X100T is supposed to mimick Kodachrome.  I also just read that this has already been available on the X30.  Curious if anyone has used this camera setting? 

I am EXTREMELY curious (and would love to have it on my XT-1 and X100s).

Wouldn't those kind of settings be applied only when you shoot jpegs, not RAW?

No - these settings are similar to the Canon/Nikon Landscape, Portrait, Neutral, etc.  With Fuji, when you shoot in the camera, you can actually take the RAW file and apply the setting and create a new jpg IN THE CAMERA.

Loads of film packs and settings available for post production - Alien Skin Exposure etc. No need to hanker after in camera settings.

Geoff - this is not the same as Alien Skin or other pre-sets for Lightroom/Photoshop.  This is in-camera processing.  If you don't apply changes in the camera, you can apply the camera setting in Lightroom (at least currently, for what's available in the XT-1 and X100s just as you can apply landscape or portrait for Canon/Nikon files).  Alien Skin, Perfect Effects, Nik Collection, etc. doesn't come close to what Fuji has been developing.

You can read David Hobby's post on PetaPixel where he touches on the development process Fuji goes through for the camera film settings

http://petapixel.com/2014/09/10/classic-chrome-film-simulation-sleeper-feature-new-x100t/

Having both the XT1 and the X100S I can say clearly the files from each camera have a different "look".  I'm hoping the chrome setting will come out with a firmware update but I'm not sure if it will only be available with the X30 or the X100T.  There will be a slight difference in look and feel but I like the color rendition.

Here is a link to sample images from the X100T with various settings.  I really like the Classic Chrome look

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x100t/sample_images/

I'm just curious if anyone here has actually played with it.  99% of the images I pull from the Fuji's are set to Velvia.  I would easily switch to Classic Chrome if it were available.

No - these settings are similar to the Canon/Nikon Landscape, Portrait, Neutral, etc.  With Fuji, when you shoot in the camera, you can actually take the RAW file and apply the setting and create a new jpg IN THE CAMERA.

Incorrect.. the RAW is just that - and remains RAW... the preview JPG stored in the RAW matches the preset and if you bring the file into CR or LR then the software picks up on the preset and applies it but if you look at the RAW in an application that shows the basic file (such as Photomechanic), no preset is applied...

No need to hanker after in camera settings.

Unless of course you want minimal editing at the computer and send the files in straight off the camera (the Fuji JPG's are SO good ...

I agree with Geoff and Alan: the later one does effects in the workflow, the more control one has (and you can change your mind).

Kodachrome 25 (great shadow detail), I liked, but hated K64 and that faster one, ASA100? Fuji Velvia was exciting but not really good for everything. 

Incorrect.. the RAW is just that - and remains RAW... the preview JPG stored in the RAW matches the preset and if you bring the file into CR or LR then the software picks up on the preset and applies it but if you look at the RAW in an application that shows the basic file (such as Photomechanic), no preset is applied...

Julie - I'm not referring to the "preview JPG".  I am referring to applying a picture setting to a RAW file in the camera itself, and then the camera creating a separate JPG file.  When you download images from the camera, two files are downloaded.  You can review pages 63 and 64 of the Fuji X100S manual for more details.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/manuals/pdf/index/x/fujifilm_x100s_manual_en.pdf

I was also referring to the presets in Lightroom that Adobe has worked (alongside camera manufacturers) so you can apply settings to a RAW file that mimic the film simulation modes available within the camera.  This feature is available in the Develop tab of Lightroom down in the Camera Calibration section.  The options are specific to the camera you created the image in.

dhbi1.jpg

I was not stating a preference, just a fact... on the Fujis, working news or jobs i want out fast, get it right in camera, just crop and caption and I'm probably at least 50% faster than when I shoot RAW... Shooting landscapes or less time sensitive stuff I shoot RAW and JPG setting the JPG to how I picture it but giving me the option to do something else if required....

OK, 

Julie - I'm not referring to the "preview JPG".  I am referring to applying a picture setting to a RAW file in the camera itself, and then the camera creating a separate JPG file.  When you download images from the camera, two files are downloaded.  You can review pages 63 and 64 of the Fuji X100S manual for more details.

I was also referring to the presets in Lightroom that Adobe has worked (alongside camera manufacturers) so you can apply settings to a RAW file that mimic the film simulation modes available within the camera.  This feature is available in the Develop tab of Lightroom down in the Camera Calibration section.  The options are specific to the camera you created the image in.

dhbi1.jpg

Yes - thats applying the Adobe presets,,, the RAW file is still a RAW file and un altered... no matter what the preset is set to on the camera the RAW file remains the same when viewed in software such as photo mechanic.. I think thats what you are saying in your latest and therefore we agree...

I agree with Geoff and Alan: the later one does effects in the workflow, the more control one has (and you can change your mind).

Kodachrome 25 (great shadow detail), I liked, but hated K64 and that faster one, ASA100? Fuji Velvia was exciting but not really good for everything. 

Ed, if you shoot in RAW, import into Lightroom, then you change the camera preset (as I described above - I posted around the same time you did).  If you want to change pre-set you just select a different pre-set.  If you want to work with the pure RAW file, then you just select Adobe Standard (which is the default on import).

There is turning back!  You can change your mind no problem.

If Fuji releases Classic Chrome as a firmware update, then Lightroom will more than likely be updated to reflect the camera settings in a subsequent release.

Julie, I think we are agreeing :)

When I shoot news, my workflow is shoot RAW and import into Lightroom.  Thanks to others in this forum, I've learned that you can set default import settings in Lightroom so in my instance, the Velvia setting is applied during the import (adding no extra time to my workflow), then I cull and crop as needed, add captions and keywords, and upload.  If I want to later go back and change a preset, I can do that as I described above.

Given the (hopefully) new option, I would change that automatic setting from Velvia to Classic Chrome.  I don't like the other presets for news (Provia and Astia are too "soft" for what I like).

Julie, I think we are agreeing :)

When I shoot news, my workflow is shoot RAW and import into Lightroom.  Thanks to others in this forum, I've learned that you can set default import settings in Lightroom so in my instance, the Velvia setting is applied during the import (adding no extra time to my workflow), then I cull and crop as needed, add captions and keywords, and upload.  If I want to later go back and change a preset, I can do that as I described above.

Given the (hopefully) new option, I would change that automatic setting from Velvia to Classic Chrome.  I don't like the other presets for news (Provia and Astia are too "soft" for what I like).

I've used Astia a lot but my last project was shot on Pro-Neg Hi.... 

Ed, if you shoot in RAW, import into Lightroom, then you change the camera preset (as I described above - I posted around the same time you did).  If you want to change pre-set you just select a different pre-set.  If you want to work with the pure RAW file, then you just select Adobe Standard (which is the default on import).

There is turning back!  You can change your mind no problem.

If Fuji releases Classic Chrome as a firmware update, then Lightroom will more than likely be updated to reflect the camera settings in a subsequent release.

Okay, I get it, now. The fact is I don't do much (any?) of that kind of testing. Thanks.  :)

Archived