New developments with Flickr

Maybe I've been asleep, but was not aware that they appear to be giving everyone 1TB of free storage now. Maybe the old Pro account has gone, I was never subscribed personally. There has to be a snag........

I only ever upload small files, so gazillions of space to go at.

I think it only changed in the last few days.  I did have a Pro account but when it ran out I couldn't renew because they said my credit card had expired even though I had updated it.  I'm glad I saved my money now.

Pearl

Do you guys find Flickr worthwhile? I have always been concerned about misuse of material, very cautious of being mugged!

I put a watermark of my name right across the centre of the images so it is for viewing only.  I have had a couple of requests for print sales but otherwise people just want them for nothing or a credit in which case I send them a link to the image on Alamy.

Pearl

I used to use it as a back up and marked all my images for viewing by myself only.  Occasionally shared images of family events that were not for sale on it.  Now use smugmug instead. Sometimes there were some interesting groups. The photographer's gallery ran a street photo project with a subject a week uploaded to a flickr group.  It was quite challenging and interesting to see what other people did. As long as you understood you were making your images publicly available (and stealable) then it was fine.  I had a pro account, so not sure what happens now.

I was very active on it for a while but lost interest when I started submitting regularly to Alamy. I have had a fair number of images stolen, some of which ended up to be quite lucrative in damages, and started to watermark about 15 months ago, which largely stopped it. I have made a couple of sales through it but nothing for a few years. The Getty link seems to be a dead duck, for me at least.

The new changes mean that everyone gets 1Tb (my 1100 images take up about 35% of this) and I revoked my pro account and am expecting a pro rata refund in the next few days. I only renewed it a month ago after they gave me 3 free months at the turn of the year. Not sure why they bothered now knowing what was about to happen.

Looks like all I have lost by cashing Pro in is the ability to see how many hits I have been getting, but they also say that you can pay something like $45p.a. to go "ad free", but I have yet to see any ads on it.

I'll leave my existing stuff on there, but put very little on these days. There are only so many "wow - great image" comments you can take before wanting to bite the carpet.

I haven't uploaded anything to Flickr for months now and will probably delete my work when I get around to it.  I never belonged to any "rar rar wow wow scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" club and so received few comments.  Several times I had to contact Yahoo because of passing off of my work on fellow Flickrites photostreams.  There was much anger at the new CEO of Yahoo who stated that there were "no professional photographers any more as everyone had a camera in their phone" - that went down like a lead balloon.  

I guess the last straw for me was when I, amongst many others, were banned from the Getty/Flickr forum for our views on the nefarious Getty/Google deal.  

Sheila

Do you guys find Flickr worthwhile? I have always been concerned about misuse of material, very cautious of being mugged!

I deleted everything ( which was very little) about 12 months ago. I have not put anything up since and probably never will in the future based solely on your quote above.

For the simple fact that you can just drag an image right off to the desktop scared the life out of me, so I only use it if i want to BCC an image to a forum. I've been taking some great close up shots of birds recently but Alamy hate cropped images so up to flickr they go. 

I have a pro account which I believe will remain at the same price with similar facilities. The site has not generated any sales, although there have been enquiries, and I had been considering not renewing the subscription until these changes.

The new "homepage" is not impressive but views can come from Google searches so long as images are key worded.

I only upload small low res files and generally watermark them.

I use Flickr Pro for proofing with models and clients (Private) and displaying portfolios for agency review (Public).  Getty uses Flickr to review submissions (Artist's Picks) and then asks for a full res version if it's selected.  I always watermark everything.

I opened a Flickr account some time ago, and had quite a lot of pictures on there, for a specific purpose as it happens. I recently cleared the account out and just have a few shots that I submit to some forums.

Similarly, I'm a little nervous of theft, so I won't be uploading any of my best/commercial material. Flickr is enjoyed by a lot of people so I can't really knock it, it just serves no purpose for me.

Flickr was very good for SEO. The work I had on there was small, limited and heavily watermarked, given that theft was rife. Since the change, I have 'downgraded' to free and marked every single photograph as 'private' so I am not contributing to their ad revenue. I'd have been tempted to stay visible if they hadn't buggered up the home page and photo stream. I don't want to see other people's work and comments on the home page and I prefer to see negative space around my own work on my photo stream. There's a reason that (apart from the RA Summer Show!) galleries don't cram all work together on a wall, from floor to ceiling! I'll probably go altogether soon. Just waiting to see what happens/where to move to (if anywhere - I may just delete. My main use, after SEO, of Flickr, was to arrange seaside visits with friends). This is, evidently, what Marissa Mayer wants - she was quite clear in her speech, that Pros don't exist. They don't in her mind, or her business model, anyhow. 

Archived