Lightroom and News photos metadada help needed

Afternoon all

On Monday, I will be in Paris as part of one of my usual trips. In addition though there just happens to be the 70th Anniversary of the Liberation of Paris celebrations going on and I am one of the accredited photographers.

Having done news before I always get a little muddled as to what should be going into each field and so would like a little help before doing this at around 230AM on Tuesday morning when I return home.

This is an example of what I did for the American Tours Festival a couple of months ago:

Title: Courses Nascar - American Tours Festival

Caption: Tours, France. 05th July, 2014. M Dasi preparing for the Tours Speedway, Tours, France.

Headline: American Tours Festival - Courses Nascar, Tours, France. 05th July, 2014.

Is that right? I do ask this because the 2nd day of the festival the news team noted that various titles came in when the images appeared. The odd thing is that the metadata in the Title and Headline was the same in each image.

Thanks

Jools

As Andrew said, Headline, which is Title in Lightroom,  groups all images together on News page. No date needed (see Alamy twitter link).

https://twitter.com/AlamyNews/status/475245898289922048

What, where, when, who, why... in Lightroom caption field. If you`re uploading weather pics to Live News, make sure the word weather

is in the caption. I read in a tweet or email from Alamy that some newspapers search Live News for weather pics using the search box.

Thanks for that. But in the Metadata for Lightroom there is both Headline and Title. Does exactly the same thing go in each one?

Could someone post a screen grab of the Lightroom metadata box showing how they have filled it in?

Jools, not sure how to do a screengrab, but here`s an example of my Live News Lightroom workflow

Title: UK weather: sunrise, Seaton Carew, England.

Caption: Monday, 4th, August, 2014, Seaton Carew near Hartlepool, north east England, UK. Weather: drilling platform being towed past Teesside Offshore Windfarm on its way to a yard in Teesmouth on a bright and clear morning on the north east coast.

I`m not sure what you mean by the Headline in Lightroom Metadata. I only see title and caption fields in Lightroom Library when i`m preparing images for Live News. Alamy`s Headline/Header

is Lightroom`s title field. I`ve never had a problem uploading Live News images this way.

Joe

Hi, Jools. I only did News once and was confused about the same thing. There is a drop down menu at the top of the Metadata section. I saw a suggestion to set it to "EXIF and IPTC". At that setting there is Title and Caption near the top. Different people probably have it set differently so it gets confusing.

Paulette

OK, this is from my latest shoot;

Label: 17th August 2014: Ascot, UK - Day 2 of the Red Bull Air Race at Ascot Racecourse

Caption: 17th August 2014: Ascot, UK - Day 2 of the Red Bull Air Race at Ascot Racecourse

Headline: 17th August 2014: Ascot, UK - Day 2 of the Red Bull Air Race at Ascot Racecourse

Title: 17th August 2014: Ascot, UK - Day 2 of the Red Bull Air Race at Ascot Racecourse

As I mention above, Headline is the grouping so for example for a festival, I would have;

Label: 23rd August 2014: Reading, UK - Band A performing at Reading Festival

Caption: 23rd August 2014: Reading, UK - Band A performing at Reading Festival

Headline: Day 1 of Reading Festival

Title: 23rd August 2014: Reading, UK - Band A performing at Reading Festival

and

Label: 23rd August 2014: Reading, UK - Band B performing at Reading Festival

Caption: 23rd August 2014: Reading, UK - Band B performing at Reading Festival

Headline: Day 1 of Reading Festival

Title: 23rd August 2014: Reading, UK - Band B performing at Reading Festival

These would be all grouped under "Day 1 of Reading Festival" on the Live News Page.

I use Lightroom 4 and get to this by going Metadata > Edit Metadata presets

I have basic templates for the various agencies I submit to. I edit a template before a shoot and create a new preset. I then apply this my right click on the film strip at the bottom and selecting Metadata Presets and choosing the appropriate preset.

I could probably improve this myself so if anyone has any better suggestions, let me know.

What Andrew does would totally confuse me. I only did the Title and Caption and that seemed to work -- with Title being the one that had to be the same for all photos. I'm sure Andrew is way beyond me. Any time I can do the simple thing I have the most success.

Paulette

Ooooops. I went into Lightroom to make sure I did what I thought I did. Noooooo! So that's my memory and it was wrong. I do have the menu set to "EXIF and IPTC" and I did put the caption in Caption near the top but I did not use Title. I went down to the IPTC section and put the headline in Headline.

From the horse's mouth:-

Captions always need the following and in this format please:

*Full location ( town and/or city, ALWAYS the country as “UK”)

* Date in words (25th September 2013 not 25/09/2013 or 09/25/2013)

*What you can see happening in each image?

*Who is in the image?

*Why is it happening? Background info

* “Credit: YOUR NAME/Alamy Live News”I got this advice from the Live news team a while ago:-

I have the Lightroom plugin for direct upload...but this doesn't seem to include 'live news'. Do I have to edit the plugin, or is there a separate one?

Morning all

Thanks for all the help offered. The images came together and went up on the news feed last night under the 70th Anniversary of the Liberation of Paris.

We had driving rain throughout and the organizers gave us just a tiny space to huddle under for protection. I was right on the edge of it under a brolly. Had two of Hollande's security detail stuck in front of me for a while which meant I had no clear shot of the President or Mayor.

had to leave before the major lightshow started otherwise I would have missed my train home.

Still, an amazing event to see in person and to be a part of!

Archived