Panasonic FZ100 - Competitor for RX10

Don't know about the RX10 but the new Panasonic only uses sRGB colour space, Adobe not being available apparently?

Allan

Allan,

Well spotted!   The RX10 does, of course, have AdobeRGB.  I did have a Panasonic G2 at one time and that did Adobe RGB too.

For most cameras you can find one, often many, users forums which are a valuable source of information, but I have not found one yet for the RX10.

Although there has been a good exchange of information among the RX10 users on this forum I have not found another.  This has led me to think the RX10 is not at all popular out in the wide world of photography, so I am interested that Panasonic have produced a look-alike.

Maybe the specification will be updated to include aRGB, but if not I doubt if it will get on to the Alamy recommended camera list.

The Panasonic will shoot raw and that means Adobe/etc will provide ARGB conversion. I use the RX10 but really very rarely. It comes down to this - do I just chuck all my other cameras out, because it removes the need for them, and stop writing about cameras? Not an option for me, but I should. The RX10 is one answer to nearly all that I need. The Panasonic might be ever better!

The Panasonic will shoot raw and that means Adobe/etc will provide ARGB conversion. I use the RX10 but really very rarely. It comes down to this - do I just chuck all my other cameras out, because it removes the need for them, and stop writing about cameras? Not an option for me, but I should. The RX10 is one answer to nearly all that I need. The Panasonic might be ever better!

I can understand that!

I have the RX100 which goes with me whenever I am not specifically "doing photography".  Other than that, my choice is between the RX10 and an Olympus OM-D E-M5 and a range of lenses.  

When I try any wildlife photograhy the M5 and the 75-300 lens (150-600 EFL) outguns the RX10.  Other than that the RX10 can do anything else and is less to carry than the M5 and an equivalent range of lenses.

I often take the M5 with 12-50 lens just because I like the way it handles, the IQ is better than the RX10 but not much.

I could really do away with everything except the RX100 and the RX10 and not suffer much, only sentiment prevents me from doing so.

As to wildlife, my M5 justifier,  I am really not very good at it.  

Probably my best wildlife picture in my Alamy Collection is DE9D8W and that was shot with the RX100!

If I had to live with only one camera, I would pick the RX100.

I can understand that!

I have the RX100 which goes with me whenever I am not specifically "doing photography".  Other than that, my choice is between the RX10 and an Olympus OM-D E-M5 and a range of lenses.  

When I try any wildlife photograhy the M5 and the 75-300 lens (150-600 EFL) outguns the RX10.  Other than that the RX10 can do anything else and is less to carry than the M5 and an equivalent range of lenses.

I often take the M5 with 12-50 lens just because I like the way it handles, the IQ is better than the RX10 but not much.

I could really do away with everything except the RX100 and the RX10 and not suffer much, only sentiment prevents me from doing so.

Probably my best wildlife picture in my Alamy Collection is DE9D8W and that was shot with the RX100!

Peter, will you be interested in the latest offering, the RX3?  You lose a bit off the long end, but gain in other areas. EVF, anyone?

RX3? I get no Google hits on that, nothing on DPReview or at Sony.

For me, less reach on the long side, one more level on the wide side would work, especially if the lens was smaller. 

I'm not yet 100% comfortable with the RX10. That's probably due to the fact that in the year before getting mine I was shooting almost everything with my NEX-6 and the Sony/Zeiss prime 24mm. I do think I'm the problem with this, rather than the camera (or zoom?) itself. I've been almost surprised by the fact that I can once again change my frame by zooming. 

For me, less reach on the long side, one more level on the wide side would work, especially if the lens was smaller. 

I'm not yet 100% comfortable with the RX10. That's probably due to the fact that in the year before getting mine I was shooting almost everything with my NEX-6 and the Sony/Zeiss prime 24mm. I do think I'm the problem with this, rather than the camera (or zoom?) itself. I've been almost surprised by the fact that I can once again change my frame by zooming. 

I think Betty is referring to the new RX100 MKIII with EVF but shorter range zoom than the MKI and MKII

Allan

Sorry, Ed. I knew the RX100 users would know what I was talking about, and I forgot to realize I should be specific for those not in the know. :)

My bad.

I like everything about the MK111 except losing some zoom on the long end.  I suppose Sony felt the need to tweak enough features to make people want to upgrade.  I'd have been happy to have everything the same, but to get the EVF and the ND.  My RX100 is fast enough to suit me.  I used every bit of that 100mm reach in St. Croix.

Betty

I can understand that!

Peter, will you be interested in the latest offering, the RX3?  You lose a bit off the long end, but gain in other areas. EVF, anyone?

Hi Betty,

I would certainly not trade in my RX100 Mk 1 for either the Mk2 or Mk3.    If it gets lost or irreparably broken I would buy another Mk1, or if that was no longer available a Mk2.

When I first got the RX100, it was with great concern as it was the first camera I owned that had no kind of VF at all. 

In practice, the rear screen is so good it works for me even in bright sunshine.  I have really got used to this modern way of taking pictures.   Having said that, the EVF on the Mk 3 seems to be not worth having for the extra money.  It seems out of place on such a small camera.  

The 24-70 EFL lens on the Mk3 has some advantage at the wide end, but a bigger disadvantage at the long end.   For what I do with this camera I now find 28-100 EFL a better range.   I think the Mk3 is f2.8 at the 70mm end, but in the mark 1 you get f4 at 70mm, and it only drops to f4.9 at 100mm.  

I think the Mk2 has the same sensor and processor as the RX10, a bit better than the Mk1 but only marginally, and not a difference worth paying much for.

I can appreciate what Sony are doing to extend the RX100 line, but for me they got it right first time.

I can understand that!

Hi Betty,

I would certainly not trade in my RX100 Mk 1 for either the Mk2 or Mk3.    If it gets lost or irreparably broken I would buy another Mk1, or if that was no longer available a Mk2.

When I first got the RX100, it was with great concern as it was the first camera I owned that had no kind of VF at all. 

In practice, the rear screen is so good it works for me even in bright sunshine.  I have really got used to this modern way of taking pictures.   Having said that, the EVF on the Mk 3 seems to be not worth having for the extra money.  It seems out of place on such a small camera.  

The 24-70 EFL lens on the Mk3 has some advantage at the wide end, but a bigger disadvantage at the long end.   For what I do with this camera I now find 28-100 EFL a better range.   I think the Mk3 is f2.8 at the 70mm end, but in the mark 1 you get f4 at 70mm, and it only drops to f4.9 at 100mm.  

I think the Mk2 has the same sensor and processor as the RX10, a bit better than the Mk1 but only marginally, and not a difference worth paying much for.

I can appreciate what Sony are doing to extend the RX100 line, but for me they got it right first time.

Ed,

I have made about 1800 exposures with the RX10, and I too am not yet 100% comfortable with it.   The main problem is getting the zoom to do what I want it to do.   Part of the problem is that the direction of the zoom contol ring is the opposite to my Olympus cameras (which I hae been using for 10 years) and lacks the positiveness of a direct mechanical contol.  To be 100% comfortable with a camera you need to be able to work the controls without thinking about it and I am not there yet with the RX10.  

Before I had the RX100 as a pocket camera for casual use, I used an Olympus E-P3 with a 17mm f2.8 lens (34mm EFL).  It was a good solution although neither as compact nor versatile as the RX100.  When I used that 34mm EFL lens a lot, I got used to it and rarely missed having a zoom.   Logic tells me that zoom lenses are better, but in my experience that is not reflected either in the number of images, or sales, made.

If I see a bargain used RX1 I could be very tempted.

Yeah, I used to have that problem when using Nikon Fs and Leica M rang finders together---infinity is in the opposite direction on those two systems.  I value your opinion, Peter. You seem to have a cool head and get the point of things.  :) I should be shooting more, but I've lost my inspiration. 

Yeah, I used to have that problem when using Nikon Fs and Leica M rang finders together---infinity is in the opposite direction on those two systems.  I value your opinion, Peter. You seem to have a cool head and get the point of things.  :) I should be shooting more, but I've lost my inspiration. 

I can change the focus ring direction on the Olympus, but that is not the problem as I use AF almost always now.  I need to be able to reverse the direction of the zoom ring, on the RX10, but have not found a way to do it yet.  

Loss of inspiration happens.  Why not put the RX10 on the shelf for a while and take the NEX/24mm for walk (I presume you still have them).

I used the RX100 when skiing in sunshine and I couldn't see a thing on the screen so it was pretty much guesswork. Fortunately some shots came out ok but I am not that impressed with the IQ. They did pass QC but I wasn't 100% confident they would. It's now on EBay. I need to find another walkabout camera to replace it. Any suggestions?

Pearl

Pearl,

I think one advantage of the RX100 as awalkabout camera is its small size.   If you want something on the recommended camera list, there is not much choice by way of fixed lens cameras, maybe Canon G15 or G16.  Otherwise you have to look at nterhangeable lens cameras and have to beware of getting sucked into a whole new system.  Olympus PM3 is very small and you can get a slim zoom lens, or the 17mm (EFL 34mm), it is not very expensive and IQ beats the RX100.   Sony NEX have small bodies, but the lenses are big, except the 16-50, but I understand it is not very sharp.

Pearl,

I think one advantage of the RX100 as awalkabout camera is its small size.   If you want something on the recommended camera list, there is not much choice by way of fixed lens cameras, maybe Canon G15 or G16.  Otherwise you have to look at nterhangeable lens cameras and have to beware of getting sucked into a whole new system.  Olympus PM3 is very small and you can get a slim zoom lens, or the 17mm (EFL 34mm), it is not very expensive and IQ beats the RX100.   Sony NEX have small bodies, but the lenses are big, except the 16-50, but I understand it is not very sharp.

Thank you for your suggestions Peter.  I do have the Canon G1X which is not as compact as RX100 but the IQ is very good.  It's not the most user friendly camera around but I might just go back to using it more as a walkabout.  I also have the Fuji XT1 which is lovely. It doesn't quite fit in the handbag so doesn't go everywhere but it does go to lots of places if there is any intention of getting some shots.

Pearl

I must say that describes my recent efforts (and lack of), David. I have the RX10 in a small bag and it goes with me everywhere. I can't think of any situation I can't cover with this camera and zoom . . . there's a close-up available at every zoom point, and I love the old film detail of being able to use my ancient cable releases, so much I'm using a tripod and table pod again. The quality I get with the NEX-6 and the Sony-Zeiss 24mm is better, but I'm limited to just that one prime frame. When I bought the RX10 I was really looking for a quality zoom for the NEX-6. 

Ed,

I have been using the OM-D E-M5 for a few days, but today I took out the RX10.  Amongst other things I photographed a special steam train for anniversary of the line closure (see todays news feed)  and I am delighted with the quality of the images.  

I have now managed to solve my problem with the zoom - just changed it from step zoom to  continuous.  Now if I give it a slight turn the wrong way it does not jump somewhere I don't want to be.   Gradually learning how to use the RX10 and it gets better all the time.

David,

When you are writing about cameras again, one of your reviews of the RX10 would be much appreciated, you usually come up with things I never discovered.   If you already did it, and I missed it, please let me know where to find it.

Hi David,

Are you thinking about the RX100 III/

the 24-70 f2.8 seams more interesting than the previous version...

Archived