Oh, I'll be safe.  All the stuff is sneaking in about 3 a.m. these days.  Darn it.  Tornado season is just about over, and there have been few this year. Maybe I'll get one some day far in the future, while driving my jet-propelled walker and using a Fuji X-Z99. :)

Oh, I'll be safe.  All the stuff is sneaking in about 3 a.m. these days.  Darn it.  Tornado season is just about over, and there have been few this year. Maybe I'll get one some day far in the future, while driving my jet-propelled walker and using a Fuji X-Z99. :)

I'm not sure that the X-Z99 will be suitable for bad weather. The spectacles that it will be embedded in will most likely fly off in the high winds.

Alan

I'm not sure that the X-Z99 will be suitable for bad weather. The spectacles that it will be embedded in will most likely fly off in the high winds.

Alan

ROFL!

Chasing storms, Betty? Here in the UK we just saunter after light drizzle...

And most of the time we don't even need to saunter after it.

Alan

Hmmm, I know for a fact that you all have gotten some high crashing waves in the past year!  Didn't a photographer or just a person with a camera get washed away or something?

Hmmm, I know for a fact that you all have gotten some high crashing waves in the past year!  Didn't a photographer or just a person with a camera get washed away or something?

We've had some pretty severe weather on a number of occasions over the last few years. I don't specifically recall a photographer being washed away but there have certainly been fatalities.

However, this week I've been on holiday in Wales and I've had the best holiday weather-wise for many a year.

Alan

I grew up in a highrise on the lakefront in Chicago and my I am at now condo is in a highrise across from the park and lake as well. I never remember having as high winds as we have had for the past 7 years.

In September of 2007 the winds here reached 80+ mph and the tornado sirens blared for the first time in the city at least to my knowledge.Quite scary when your building is surrounded by wall to wall windows and you can see your closed windows expanding and contracting from the high winds. The next morning huge trees that had been planted decades ago were uprooted and had to be destroyed. The building complex next to me had part of their roof blown off and cars were overturned,huge metal garbage dumpsters,street signs and lights also fell over and ended up a half a block away. From what I remember this came so sudden that the local weather men didn't have a handle on it until minutes before.

People were injured,though nothing fatal.

Before you'd venture out to capture one of those major storms,do some homework reading the sites of some of the professional storm chasers to know how to navigate and protect yourself.It's not your car I worry about Betty!

I know one of the better known chasers was recently killed while chasing a storm.

I use to be more adventurous when I was younger and had a car and probably would have been tempted as well. My building keeps the roof top terrace locked electronically so curious residents like me won't be venturing out in storms and high winds for photos.

L

I grew up in a highrise on the lakefront in Chicago and my I am at now condo is in a highrise across from the park and lake as well. I never remember having as high winds as we have had for the past 7 years.

In September of 2007 the winds here reached 80+ mph and the tornado sirens blared for the first time in the city at least to my knowledge.Quite scary when your building is surrounded by wall to wall windows and you can see your closed windows expanding and contracting from the high winds. The next morning huge trees that had been planted decades ago were uprooted and had to be destroyed. The building complex next to me had part of their roof blown off and cars were overturned,huge metal garbage dumpsters,street signs and lights also fell over and ended up a half a block away. From what I remember this came so sudden that the local weather men didn't have a handle on it until minutes before.

People were injured,though nothing fatal.

Before you'd venture out to capture one of those major storms,do some homework reading the sites of some of the professional storm chasers to know how to navigate and protect yourself.It's not your car I worry about Betty!

I know one of the better known chasers was recently killed while chasing a storm.

I use to be more adventurous when I was younger and had a car and probably would have been tempted as well. My building keeps the roof top terrace locked electronically so curious residents like me won't be venturing out in storms and high winds for photos.

L

Ahh, bummer.  I'd find myself a good cat burglar and have him teach me how to pick that rooftop lock. :)  What a wasted opportunity!  

My building is very high security.The cameras would know it's you and you'd need the key fob that is tied to your unit to even get up there. Security would come up and you'd probably get fined.

The wind on the 30th floor roof is fierce! It's bad that on a high gale force wind day you can't breathe very well once you step outside. I'm on the lakefront and bus drivers have said that the turn in front of my building is the hardest in the city when the winds are high.

Also,from the door to the end of the roof,nowhere to hang onto!

L

• 5 months later...

A murmuration of starlings currently mobs the Virginia creeper vines on our house going after the berries. And why are there European starlings in the States? Because some geniuses wanted to bring over all the birds mentioned by Shakespeare and did so. Starlings were the only ones that "took."

When the weather turns severe, how many of you rush out to capture it?

I can see doing snow, ice, flooding, but here in Oklahoma, our storms are something else.  I so want to get shots of some of our menacing wall clouds, the kind tornadoes drop out of, but it seems most of the time when they reach my area, it is dark. Plus you can't get good ones in the city, you need to get into the countryside with a wide angle to capture the immensity against farm fields, and not be blocked by trees and houses.

I've thought about driving west to meet storms, but then one can get caught in hail anywhere from ping pong ball to baseball size.

Nebraska had a big one the other day.  A young businesswoman got caught in her car. She curled in a ball, put her briefcase over her head while all the windows were knocked out. I'll bet she had to shake out her britches after that.

I am fascinated by storm cloud images.  I want some.  I'm just not willing to lose my car to get them.  Speaking of storms, tonight and the next few days will be dicey here.  Like last night, it'll probably roll in 3 a.m. or after.

Betty

I agree with you Betty.  The storms here in Alabama can be fierce.  For me it's not worth the risk when there are tornado watches going up.

Archived