I quite like the new handy dashboard view. As it lays everything out nice and neat, The downside is I get an instant view of my sales every time I log on to add more images and I am still flat lining. When is some kind soul going to hit me with the defibrillator to keep my old carcass going . :blink:  Just a little spike would be a great tonic about now . :rolleyes:

You don't have many images up. Last I looked Alamy had 46 million images!

:)

L

Linda, that's so yesterday: 47.41 million images today. ;)

47.6 I million images I just added some more :P

I quite like the new handy dashboard view. As it lays everything out nice and neat, The downside is I get an instant view of my sales every time I log on to add more images and I am still flat lining. When is some kind soul going to hit me with the defibrillator to keep my old carcass going . :blink:  Just a little spike would be a great tonic about now . :rolleyes:

I would take a look at your keywording, James. For example, you have a picture of a Great Tit (E195DG) where the keywords that I can see are: Great, tit, parus, major, woodland, bird, garden, bird, water, droplets, nature, wildlife, nobody, in, the, woods, birds, wet, perched, on, a, branch, Europe, Britain

Searches for any of these, on their own or in combination, are going to bring up views of your image and, if not zoomed, will bring your CTR down. A search for "major woodland Britain", for example, brings up your image in the number 2 spot but it isn't going to be zoomed based on that search.

I would suggest putting keyword phrases in quotes (e.g. "Parus Major" "woodland bird" "woodland birds" "garden bird" "garden birds" bird) and leaving out words that really aren't relevant to the image (water, wet, garden).

I hope that helps, and that you don't mind me pointing this out. :) 

EDIT: Keywords in quotes don't affect searches yet. Apologies.

Unfortunately, putting keywords in quotes doesn't affect searches. If someone searches using quotes it is helpful to them in seeing what they want but the quotes and brackets for our keywording has never been implemented (though it may be in future).

Paulette

Don't despair.  I just had my first sale a couple of weeks ago when I had around 700 images up. Takes awhile. When my next lot clears QC I will hit a thousand. Be nice to finally be in the 4 digit group after a year.

Jill

Unfortunately, putting keywords in quotes doesn't affect searches. If someone searches using quotes it is helpful to them in seeing what they want but the quotes and brackets for our keywording has never been implemented (though it may be in future).

Paulette

I have just seen that, Paulette, and was about to add a correction. I thought it had been implemented but it hasn't. My general point about looking at keywords still applies though, I think.

I would take a look at your keywording, James. For example, you have a picture of a Great Tit (E195DG) where the keywords that I can see are: Great, tit, parus, major, woodland, bird, garden, bird, water, droplets, nature, wildlife, nobody, in, the, woods, birds, wet, perched, on, a, branch, Europe, Britain

Searches for any of these, on their own or in combination, are going to bring up views of your image and, if not zoomed, will bring your CTR down. A search for "major woodland Britain", for example, brings up your image in the number 2 spot but it isn't going to be zoomed based on that search.

I would suggest putting keyword phrases in quotes (e.g. "Parus Major" "woodland bird" "woodland birds" "garden bird" "garden birds" bird) and leaving out words that really aren't relevant to the image (water, wet, garden).

I hope that helps, and that you don't mind me pointing this out. :) 

EDIT: Keywords in quotes don't affect searches yet. Apologies.

Thank you all offers of help are most welcome I am useless at kewording I know I need to get better at it but it is a real pain in the nether regions. Like most I suspect I would much rather be out there making pics instead of spending relentless hours in front of this one eyed monster :blink:

Kind Regards and thank you for your input

Don't despair.  I just had my first sale a couple of weeks ago when I had around 700 images up. Takes awhile. When my next lot clears QC I will hit a thousand. Be nice to finally be in the 4 digit group after a year.

Jill

Thank you for the encouragement Jill. Well done on your first sale.  I will keep plugging away towards my first thousand :)

Kind Regards

Jim

47.6 I million images I just added some more :P

You added 200,000 images today - impressive  :rolleyes:

Just a ikel exaggeration  :rolleyes:  I am pants at maths as well as being rubbish at grammar

Kind Regards

Jim

16 sales last month for roughly $2,2k total. 8 so far this month for $900 total. Sales are certainly happening and like others have pointed out already it wouldn't hurt your chances at regular sales if you boosted the number of images you have with Alamy by a couple of thousand...

16 sales last month for roughly $2,2k total. 8 so far this month for $900 total. Sales are certainly happening and like others have pointed out already it wouldn't hurt your chances at regular sales if you boosted the number of images you have with Alamy by a couple of thousand...

Well done on your sales Mike Its nice to see that you are doing so well

Jim

Like most I suspect I would much rather be out there making pics instead of spending relentless hours in front of this one eyed monster 

this is where the money is made

km

I know km

Note to self must not call big machine on desk one eyed monster :)

Jim

Thanks Jim. I'm very specialized so for me Alamy is less of a numbers game and more about making sure the editorial content is there and being kept up to date as much as possible.

Every now and then I get an urge to completely shift gears and go out and photograph every public building, museum, public art pieces, etc in Lincoln or Omaha. Luckily I come to my senses before I actually get going. The keywording alone for something like that would be bloody murder! I'm sure it makes some sort of fiscal sense to at least try it with a few mid-sized nearby cities one of these days but up until that time I'll stick to crime scenes, forensic labs, serving search warrants, and photographing the US Correctional system...

Mike

Thanks Jim. I'm very specialized so for me Alamy is less of a numbers game and more about making sure the editorial content is there and being kept up to date as much as possible.

Every now and then I get an urge to completely shift gears and go out and photograph every public building, museum, public art pieces, etc in Lincoln or Omaha. Luckily I come to my senses before I actually get going. The keywording alone for something like that would be bloody murder! I'm sure it makes some sort of fiscal sense to at least try it with a few mid-sized nearby cities one of these days but up until that time I'll stick to crime scenes, forensic labs, serving search warrants, and photographing the US Correctional system...

Mike

I agree it makes sense to specialize in a particular field Mike anyone looking for crime scenes, forensic labs, serving search warrants, etc; You would be the man to go to as it were. I found your portfolio very interesting  and I see where you are coming from I like that notion well done and the best of luck to you.

When I started this thread I was just  taking a little light hearted poke at myself . However as it turns out I have enjoyed everyone’s helpful input I have found it all very useful and illuminating So may say thank you all for your words of advice and encouragement. I joined Alamy  in 2007 but it is only this year that I have started to add images with a little more effort as I am now retired  from my day job .

Thank You  all. Kind Regards.

Jim

Mike

I agree it makes sense to specialize in a particular field Mike anyone looking for crime scenes, forensic labs, serving search warrants, etc; You would be the man to go to as it were. I found your portfolio very interesting  and I see where you are coming from I like that notion well done and the best of luck to you.

When I started this thread I was just  taking a little light hearted poke at myself . However as it turns out I have enjoyed everyone’s helpful input I have found it all very useful and illuminating So may say thank you all for your words of advice and encouragement. I joined Alamy  in 2007 but it is only this year that I have started to add images with a little more effort as I am now retired  from my day job .

Jim

I think that Mike is trying to tell us that crime really does pay. B)

Mike

Jim

I think that Mike is trying to tell us that crime really does pay. B)

like it :P

Archived