Can anyone recommend a good cloud storage backup please?

I currently store my files on various external hard drives and jpegs on smugmug(and of course some on Alamy).  I take the back up drives with me when I go away for more than a few days.  But they fill up fast and  I am considering moving over to cloud backup.  Having looked at various reviews, I am trialling Backblaze (but that says it will take me 286 days to do my initial backup - even with cable broadband).  Reviews of other suppliers are mixed and are not specifically aimed at photographers.

Just wondered if any photographers out there could recommend a good service. especially for the mass of data that is in all my raw files.

Thanks

I second Crashplan. Very good value. But I'd highly recommend that your main backups remain as hard drives, because uploading and downloading any more than a few photos from cloud storage will take a very, very long time. Possibly months, depending on how much you have and how fast your broadband connection is. And check what the limits are on your broadband service as well. 

My sister and I each share a cloud with each other. We each have a 3 TB network drive and I upload to her drive and she uploads to mine. That way if my house burns down I have my important shots on her drive and if her house burns down I have hers.  I don't upload everything I have taken to her drive, but the jpgs I have on Alamy and elsewhere and family stuff and important documents. Works well. The rest I keep on a couple of drives at home.

Jill

I use Justcloud at $5 a month.Pretty much unlimited. It's for MAC and PC. Bitcasa is good too;same price and I liked it better because it's file structure was more 'Mac like' and I could search for my files. Just Cloud I can't.

I also back up on several sites for jpegs use the Amazon cloud storage for certain things and have 8 external hard drives keeping a few offsite.

If you have a big hard drive it can take a month or more to backup so you might want to clear some unused junk off first.

L

I was evaluating all these cloud based offers and then came upon Zenfolio. It provides a way for you to display your photos easily in different templates (although I have never managed to reach some of the incredibly beautifully looking sites that other people have created). For $30 per year, you can store 4 GB, and for $60 per year, you can store apparently unlimited storage (of photos and video), and can easily download. There are other features, most of which I have for now, left unexplored :-). The idea of being able to save and also display at the same time was something that appealed to me.

Dropbox.  The first 2.75 GB is free, then you move to the Pro at $9.99 a month or $99 a year and get 100 GB more on top of the free amount.  Uploads are fast.  Of course, what I've been uploading are jpegs for a client, but at one time I uploaded huge files.

I just uploaded a 33.8mb tiff and it took about a minute or less. A raw file took roughly the same time.

Betty

Unhappy experience with Carbonite, frankly now wouldn't trust any.

Very happy with Dropbox for sending work to clients when sftp is playing up but see above on using beyond that.....

Dropbox.  The first 2.75 GB is free, then you move to the Pro at $9.99 a month or $99 a year and get 100 GB more on top of the free amount.  Uploads are fast.  Of course, what I've been uploading are jpegs for a client, but at one time I uploaded huge files.

I just uploaded a 33.8mb tiff and it took about a minute or less. A raw file took roughly the same time.

Betty

I got a free 50gb account with the Box

$10 for 100GB and $15 for unlimited. The free account limits the size of an individual file to 250MB, but I don't have any near that size except the odd family video. Any family videos I upload I"ll split into two or three if I have to.

INow they just offer 10GB free for the personal account. I was lucky as the 50gb was a free promotion for Blackberry users when I got my Playbook.

Jill

I use Bitcasa to transfer files to clients that don't use ftp. My website (Photoshelter based) allows download with password or after paying but it seems to be one image at a time. So for someone who will download the whole batch I use dropbox, for another library for instance. I just use the free option at the moment.

I wouldn't use the cloud for permanent storage such as backups. Short term purposes only for me in the cloud unless it is synched to multiple offline copies so I can afford to lose it without losing data.

I've had a free Dropbox account for probably 5 years. It has been client based for me, a way to upload and for the client to download.  I recently upgraded to the $99 a year because I am storing all of the jewelry images I'm shooting there for the client and his web designer.  When I reached 2.2 of the free 2.75 GB, I upgraded, but the client is paying for it so no problem.  I've shot over 600 pieces now.  I can upload 15-20 jpg images at a time and it takes a minute or less to do it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Backblaze is still whirring through the files and I have got so far I may as well see how it goes.  That coupled with external hard drives (hidden or off site when I am away from home for any length of time.  I also have a smugmug account which I can archive jpegs (but not raw).  So backing it always!  Weird how I haven't worried about the thousands of negatives and slides in my loft though...they are not backed up at all!

Julian

www.ealesphotography.co.uk

Archived