Lost photos after pc crash, can I download from alamy?

Hi, last year my desktop crashed and I had to start over with it. No problem I thought, all my photos are also on my laptop. Turns out some weren't :-(

16 of the lost photos are on Alamy, so I have 2 questions for the forum:

1. Is there a way of downloading my photos from Alamy without having to pay?

2. If not, will not having the original files cause problems if any of them sell?

I've backed up everything using crashplan. Well worth $5.99 a month.

Currently have 124,055 images backed up, 1.3 TB.

Not heard of that system, sounds like cloud to me. Could be OK but what happens when they go bust etc?

I do not feel I can trust cloud because of a possible multitude of actions/inactions down the line which you/I are not in control of.

Would still want the security of my own hard drive backups of which I have five. Some would say overkill but better safe than sorry.

Allan

Like they say, if you haven't got your data in at least 2 places you haven't really got it.

That's a minimum of 3 places. You can get a corruption during back up that will wreck both so you have the third that was not part of that process. 

you keep one of your back-ups at a different location. A mate (do the same for him/her) parents/children depending on which end of the spectrum you are; anywhere but home. Cloud storage? If you are part of the cloud generation OK, but it just can't be 100% reliable or secure.

Cloud can never replace your own backups but what happens of all your backups are lost in a act of God.

It's just another layer of protection.

If God tried to mess with my 400,000+ negatives, I'd give him a black eye!

Cloud can never replace your own backups but what happens of all your backups are lost in a act of God.

Uh! Oh!  He is a bit more powerful than you or anyone.

Better watch your back for a while. :)

Allan

Was that a lightening bolt I just saw over 'wild wales'?!!!

John.

Was that a lightening bolt I just saw over 'wild wales'?!!!

John.

No, it was 'Cymruman' zooming up to take God on! (Cymruman changes into his flying suit not in phone boxes but in tin sheds).

There is very good recovery software which will recover MOST of the lost files, as long as you haven't reused the same hard disk.

1) What is your hard drive manufacturer?

2) Are you actively using the same drive (one which crashed and lost the files)?

3) How long has it been since it crashed and lost the files?

And (4) back up again.

Like they say, if you haven't got your data in at least 2 places you haven't really got it.

Very true.... data protection needs to be tackled for different reasons.

1. Drive failure = Raided NAS

2. Device failure = 2nd Raided NAS (one backing up to the other at the end of each week. Gives time for errors to be spotted in 1st system that is used on a daily basis).

3. Fire and Theft = backing up completed work on Blu-Ray / SSD and keeping 2 copies in two different locations. One at least in a firesafe safe.

When you make your living from something as delicate as data, you have to be very careful!

Archived