The patent is specific to a certain light setup.  While many of us use a similar setup, we don't necessarily use the EXACT same setup.  Quite frankly, it's just a bunch of noise that makes no difference to 99.9% of us.

What utter nonsense.

I agree totally with the quote in the article:

"Sometimes I feel that the patent system is a common sense–free zone"

What next, patenting naturally occuring organisms-or-part-thereof? . . . oh . . . ummm . . .

dd

Patents used to have to be "non obvious" and novel to someone "skilled in the art" - there seems little attention paid to "prior art" these days until it comes up in court at least.

And they have patented the genome for various natural life forms and I think disocvered creatures/ plants/bacteria. Patents also used to be for invention not discovery.

It's no concern. It exists to stop former employees replicating Amazon's standard studio if they want to set up a rival warehouse/online sales system. It is so specific you would have to be a very bad photographer, or still using Fuji S5 cameras, to copy it by mistake.

Righty-o - don't know what happened but I thought I had posted a response to Martin (quoting parts) but it doesn't seem to have shown up....hmmm.  Upshot was that, yes, patents still do have to be novel and inventive (non-obvious) but that the changes over the prior art can often be quite nuanced.  Claim 1, which is usually the broadest claim, is very specific, no doubt to distinguish it from any prior art that was considered.   The more specific the claim, the harder it is to find prior art right on point. But the flip side is, the easier it is to avoid the claim (i.e. not infringe) because generally only one feature needs to be different to avoid infringement.  I think the intriguing thing is, as others have noted, why bother? The only commercial benefit would be asserting against other online retailers, not individual photographers.  Silly patent though.

Archived