Point of view - but with an exception - would you?

Afternoon all

A hotel in Paris is willing to give me access to a particular point of view from their property. However, they have asked if I would give them a copy to use in their own promotional material and communications.

Having images that show a different view of Paris are always more marketable than the norm but what would you do?

They do no want a fee for the access, which is rare in Paris.

Jools

Offer them a very specific license to use in exchange for access, maybe one use in a brochure or website, and explain that if they want to do more then they have to negotiate a new licence.

You need to keep it simple, if you try to add too many conditions to the usage, you may scare them off. 

If the viewpoint they are offering is a good one that would give you a few images that have a competitive edge, I would suggest that you let them have one or two on an non exclusive RF basis, only stipulating that they can only be used on their own promotional material and not passed on to others.   

You could then add the same images to your own collection.   Get them to sign a PR for the whole shoot.   Get them to allow you to shoot a few times - different times of day/ weather conditions.....  

You need to keep it simple, if you try to add too many conditions to the usage, you may scare them off. 

If the viewpoint they are offering is a good one that would give you a few images that have a competitive edge, I would suggest that you let them have one or two on an non exclusive RF basis, only stipulating that they can only be used on their own promotional material and not passed on to others.   

You could then add the same images to your own collection.   Get them to sign a PR for the whole shoot.   Get them to allow you to shoot a few times - different times of day/ weather conditions.....  

Thanks Peter. Sounds sensible.

I doubt a PR will come into it as it's the view that interests me rather than images including the property itself.

It's pretty standard in commercial stock to offer images to a property owner for their own promotional material in exchange for access/no fee. Even if they use it heavily for their own site, that's only one site of many potential uses for fairly unique access.

Get a PR, make sure the person who signs it has the authority to do so. A simple license then for their own promotional use.

Thanks Geoff, appreciate it.

Curiosity, why would I need a PR though? If I'm not including anything of their own property/ premises I don't see why it's needed. Please enlighten me :)

Even if you don't include their property, being France you will be better off. However main reason is that if a client uses a PR filter - your image is in that search. I certainly would include their property, I would also (if a balcony or guest accessible area) bring along a model.... even a shot as simple as a guest shooting an image of the view you are shooting is potentially very valuable.

If you go to the trouble of getting access, you really need to maximise the income potential. I know MRs are not your comfort zone but worth going the extra mile.

And you also will need something, given they will have copies of your images, to prove you had the rights to take them. Mangement of buildings change, policies change. You need something to say at that moment, your images were fine and dandy with the folks that mattered. That might as well be a PR.

Thanks for that Geoff. very informative and I appreciate the response :D

I see that Alamy offer up both model and property releases. Aside from these, are there any others without a logo on them that tie me down to specific libraries?

Thanks for that Geoff. very informative and I appreciate the response :D

I see that Alamy offer up both model and property releases. Aside from these, are there any others without a logo on them that tie me down to specific libraries?

You're welcome.

I always advise people to use Getty releases - in this cases Alamy don't do one in French and if you went the route of a MR, you need to have one which covers French employment law (it used to be three times the length of a normal MR). GI releases are welcomed everywhere....and they don't have any mention of the company or any logos.

I would suggest a letter of agreement that clarifies that you have been granted access to photograph and the specifics of the image(s) you will make available to them after. I think their request for using within hotel communications and marketing materials is reasonable and expected.  

Just come back from Paris.

Well, they threw me a blinder as they asked for 1000€ to do some photos! Hah, was the response to them.

The lady I spoke to said it can be negotiated so I said my terms were:

1) You let me do the shoot for free in exchange for the images

2) Sign the property release please

I looked at her and said that my work is sold across the world and if I couldn't get the access under my terms then so be it. This afternoon another hotel gave me access to a vantage point. The cost? A very lovely 0€ :D

In addition, I have been access to other places but I won't go into detail on those. What has helped during my time in Paris was my press card. That is thanks to Malcolm telling mea while aho that it would be VERY useful. It was indeed :D

Yes Martin. I do speak French and it comes in handy a lot. people open up a lot more to you.

Yesterday morning I got permission from SNCF (French railways) to photograph in one of their stations. It came in handy when the police tried stopping me from photographing there.

Recently, I have started to get the basics down on Italian as well as starting to try and learn the language so that when I go there it makes things easier rather than the old "parla inglese".

Archived