Software info please

Since i have purchased the RX100 every time i try to save changes in cs2 i get the message (could not complete the close command because of a program error) the only way it will close is if i do not save the chages, this doe's not happen when i process images from my Nikon.

do i need software for the RX100.

Hi Liam

Assuming that you are shooting raw, I very much doubt that CS2 will include raw converter for the RX100, I decided to buy Lightroom in order to process NEX 6 files, as CS4 would not handle those. 

I see no reason why it shouldn't handle JPGs however, while the bundled Sony software will do a job with raws.

Adobe only started supporting RX100 raws from August 2012 (in LR 4.2 - I assume would be same for ACR) so there's no(?) chance that ACR from CS2 would support RX100 raws. You would need CS6 (I would guess or later) or use the dng route maybe.

Since i have purchased the RX100 every time i try to save changes in cs2 i get the message (could not complete the close command because of a program error) the only way it will close is if i do not save the chages, this doe's not happen when i process images from my Nikon.

do i need software for the RX100.

Are these the jpgs you are working on?  I use CS5 to work on my RX100 files and there's no problem working with or saving the jpgs.    

However I can't seem to find an update to by ACR to be able to read the RAW files.  Currently using DNG converter but it is cumbersome.

Sorry to divert from OP.

Maria I am wondering if you found any differences between the RAW files and the DNG files after conversion?

Allan

Hi Allan,

I can't open the RAW files with ACR in my Photoshop CS5, so I can't compare them to the DNG files.  I'm a bit confused as to the nature of DNG files, as I've never used them before.  Once I've converted the RAW to DNG, do I discard the RAW files?  At the moment I'm keeping both because I'm not sure.

Hi Maria,

I cannot really help with your query as I do not use DNG. My query with you was because I am thinking of converting my Canon RAW files to DNG so they could be adjusted if necessary at a later date, having finished with Canon and foolishly removed their processing software when I swapped to iMac from Windows.

Until you are absolutely sure about DNG conversion I think you are right to keep both.

Allan

Have you tried to export the files from LR into a desktop folder, as a tiff and then open those in CS2 to finish off and save as a jpeg? Since LR is using a database for the changes to the raw, I would wonder if CS2 can read the file properly when trying to save as a jpeg.

Maybe a step in between will enable it to do so.

DNG is just a type of RAW file, just a non camera specific RAW. Its been around long enough that  think its here to stay. I convert to DNG's and delete the camera RAW's. I don't know if the RX100 is in the latest version of ACR, but they regularly update the supported formats. Install the latest version of ACR (FREE) and see if its in there.

I convert to DNG's and delete the camera RAW's.

It depends what you want to use the RAW/DNG files for.

I recently read the rules for a competition, in which permitted digital alterations are limited and photographers must prove that the picture submitted has not been altered in a non-permissible way, by sending the original RAW file.  The competition rules specifically state:

RAW files (eg .CR2, .NEF, .ORF, .PEF etc), original untouched JPEGs, and original transparencies or negatives, will be required for authentication.  DNG files are only permitted if this is the native RAW format of the camera

So, if you need to be able to prove the authenticity of your original image, you should keep your original RAW files. 

I have never used DNG, but I believe there is an option to embed the original RAW file in the DNG file.  The price is, of course, a significantly greater file size, but maybe this is the better option for some people if they want to be able to get back to the original RAW data at a later date.

Graham

Archived