From today's email:

"Hopefully Stockimo will be a great success on iPhone and it will make sense to follow up with an Android version. We’ll honour the same % split for any Alamy contributors registered with Alamy at the launch of Stockimo (Feb 4th) if they join Stockimo at any time in the future."

Why would anyone using Android have signed up for Stockimo, unless they were going to change their phone instantly?

From today's email:

"Hopefully Stockimo will be a great success on iPhone and it will make sense to follow up with an Android version. We’ll honour the same % split for any Alamy contributors registered with Alamy at the launch of Stockimo (Feb 4th) if they join Stockimo at any time in the future."

Why would anyone using Android have signed up for Stockimo, unless they were going to change their phone instantly?

I did by borrowing an iPhone to try it out. The Stockimo rejection rate is very high compared to some competitors who have already got an Android version. I've also successfully loaded up my RX100 images previously rejected by Alamy QC via the Android app.

From today's email:

That's not what we're saying.

If you were a member of Alamy when Stockimo was launched, then you will be able to still get the special Stockimo rate for Android that iPhone users took advantage of. Basically, you won't be missing out on the introductory rate if you have to wait for the Android version.

From today's email:

That's not what we're saying.

If you were a member of Alamy when Stockimo was launched, then you will be able to still get the special Stockimo rate for Android that iPhone users took advantage of. Basically, you won't be missing out on the introductory rate if you have to wait for the Android version.

How long will we have to wait for the Android version though? 

Still hoping.... I think we'll have to wait a while, because the Android version isn't as simple as a one and done with Apple.  Apparently, different Androids use somewhat different platforms, and a program will have to be written for each of them.

That's why, (I think) Alamy went with the iPhone.  Much more straightforward.

Betty

Writing for Android isn't simple. I wrote 4 apps a few years ago and even then it was a case of duplication of work with image files and screen sizes because of the varying amount of devices you need to support. It's a nightmare. I actually prefer Stockimo to the standard upload route. Probably because it's less demoralising. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It makes more sense to write a Stokimo app for Windows phone because a) no weird OS version and B) phones with WP8 have all good cameras

Not worth Alamy's trouble given windows phones currently have 3.5% market share, compared to 80.2% for Android and 14.8% for Apple. 

Archived