Bits and Parts and Gizmos

A5 or A6 (sits in jacket or cargo pants pocket) Oxford notebooks - inexpensive and have paper that doesn't bleed as I use a fountain pen, I dabbled with a mini tape recorder but it was just to slow to transcribe; I keep being tempted by a digital recorder, might try John's Ebay approach.

Sometimes carry a 13inch Samsung laptop with my Fuji kit for immediate upload of news using my 4G phone. Still lighter than my Canon outfit!

Take notes? Used to, with paper and pencil, but now I'll just pick up a pamphlet if I'm visiting a site that has them, and if it's something like a specific plant in a garden with labels, I'll shoot the label. But otherwise, I just google afterwards. And if it's a multi-day trip, I'll load the images onto a laptop with descriptive directory names. What gizmo am I talking about here? Mostly about how digital and computers and the internet have obviated the need for some accessories.

What on Earth are Pound Store reading glasses?  :huh:

One of my big problems with those pocket recorders, John, is I have to transcribe the notes or transfer them to a digital file on my computer. And I already think too much, talk too much, and write too much.  :rolleyes:

Ed, Pound stores sell cheap goods here in the UK. (everything is a pound - or so they say)

How about using a digital pocket memo recorder then when you arrive home switch it on to play and set it in front of your iMac with sound recording on.  Walla! all details uploaded without you doing anything else.  Just a thought.

Allan

I tend to use my camera to record details of where I am and what the subject is, then rely on memory.

Least used accessory "Flash guns"

Allan

Ah so! I lived over there but don't remember hearing the phrase. We used to have Dollar Stores here, and in my childhood we had the Five and Dime, referring to five cents and ten cents.

Regarding recorders, I'm very much retired now and have no need to be that professional or efficient, so my goal is to stay with the simple and the basic.  :)

Ah so! I lived over there but don't remember hearing the phrase. We used to have Dollar Stores here, and in my childhood we had the Five and Dime, referring to five cents and ten cents.

In Vancouver, we still have Dollar Stores, even Loonie Stores. However, my favourites are the Loonie-Plus Stores (more bang for your Loonie).

What on Earth are Pound Store reading glasses?  :huh:

D51EX9.jpg

The transformation of the UK high street Ed. Many of the previous players have gone to be replaced by charity shops, pound shops, coffee shops, not to mention estate agents, hair dressing salons and pay day loan companies. Combination of supermarkets and the Internet killing off small traders and less efficient brands.

Fave bit is my Plamp - have been using it for years and best value 'cheap' bit of kit I ever got.

My fave would be the Plamp too, not only great for holding flowers/branches etc still outside but I also use it in the studio for holding small reflectors in place.

Least fave would be any camera bag that isn't also big enough to hold food too.

Fave bit is my Plamp - have been using it for years and best value 'cheap' bit of kit I ever got.

My fave would be the Plamp too, not only great for holding flowers/branches etc still outside but I also use it in the studio for holding small reflectors in place.

Least fave would be any camera bag that isn't also big enough to hold food too.

Other than the original use, mine has really come into it's own to hold a black card for when I use my 17mm TS-E outdoors to shield against glare. It's not ideal but I can't find a matte box setup that will work with a 17mm with shift applied.

Worst thing light tent.... ( I am happier with just a roll of white paper and reflectors) best for me plain beige canvas bag big enough to put my D 700 and a couple of primes in without it shouting camera.

Me, sadly gone past the pound saver ready readers....vari focals all the time now.... ( well for the past year any way, realised when I could see everything when riding my motorbike.... apart from the speedo, it appears to be too close to my eyes now :) )

I heard that a laser pointer would be a very useful accessory for helping autofocus at night. I have a series of slightly out of focus photos of the Ruins at Tulum taken by moonlight at a once-in-a-lifetime visit.  So now I carry a small pointer in my bag. But I've never used it in the field.  I find that now that I've basically switched to a micro four thirds kit, auto focus or, in the dark, magnified focus works perfectly.  Of course the pointer is still taking up space in my now small bag and I probably will never be visiting any Mayan ruins at midnight again.

Archived