The $-£ is now 1.67. It reduces our sterling income as the rate rises. I guess if you are paid in US$ it makes no difference, but  I wonder what % of suppliers are UK based.  ??

Do Alamys US$ prices change with the xchange rate..?. I think not.

Here in Canada, the current US$ / Loonie (CAN$) exchange rate is working in our favour. The Loonie, which sometimes soars above the Eagle, is currently taking a nosedive and is worth about 10% less than its American counterpart. I can actually remember when the Loonie was 40% less, which was really helpful. Exchange rates are a bit of a roller coaster. I guess you just have to hang on for the ride.

Well, spare a thought for those of us in Australia. A decade or so ago, one GBP bought nearly three of our dollars. Six months ago, that had fallen by half, to just AUD1.5. The USD:GBP exchange is very stable in comparison!

I get Alamy money put into a USD Paypal account, and pull money out when the exchange rate is looking relatively good - but of course that only works if you don't need the money immediately.

Historically the USD/GBP exchange rate has been much higher than it is now, hovering around the $1.80 to $2 mark back  around 2008, compared with as low as $1.50 in early 2013. With UK interest rates likely to rise in the next year or two, it seems more likely we will see the exchange rate creeping higher than we'll see it falling lower; therefore we might expect Alamy income to be effectively  reducing for UK contributors as the months go by.

It would be nice to be paid in GBP and not have to cope with either  the vagaries of exchange fluctuations or the effects of the strengthening pound, but I doubt if Alamy will want to introduce further complications  into their accounting systems just to help a proportion of their contributors, even if it is us Brits.

Archived