Tom Wood - Photographer

Peter Jordan

Many thanks Peter - always interesting to watch programmes about photography and, most importantly, photographers.

BTW, Sky Atlantic's programme about David Bailey's 'Stardust' NPG exhibition is worth a look if you have the means to watch it in retrospect.

There seems to be an unwritten rule that you never ask a famous photographer what camera he uses. So, having got that out of the way, what was the digital camera that Tom Wood was using?

I may be wrong, but it looked like a Fujifilm X100s to me.

Alan

I thought his camera was an X100, but the lens was rather large, maybe the W/A convertor was on.   Surprised he used the flash so much...

Glad my wife was watching it with me, until now she thought I was the only person embarrassing enough to take pictures of people on buses.

Yes your right, think that's the wide conversion lens on the X100, as the fixed 23mm X100 lens is as flat as a pancake.

I too am surprised he used the flash as the conversion lens would have blocked the path of the flash resulting in a big dark shadow across much of the frame.

I guess the BBC just added the flash effect to make it look more obvious that he was taking picture as the X100's shutter is so darn quiet.

Parm

Have known Tom for many years and he was our external examiner for a while at Newport. Lovely, gentle guy. He and I also shared a love of real ale. Whenever we went out he would say, "I'm having whatever Pete's having". He had a 10" x 8" camera he wasn't using so I bought it and that's my main camera now.

Pete,

He certainly came across as a very nice guy that would be very good in a college environment.   I just looked on Amazon to see if he has any books on offer.  He has, but the prices are a bit daunting for me - he certainly does not undervalue his work.

Like your blog BTW.

Pete,

He certainly came across as a very nice guy that would be very good in a college environment.   I just looked on Amazon to see if he has any books on offer.  He has, but the prices are a bit daunting for me - he certainly does not undervalue his work.

Like your blog BTW.

Many thanks Peter. The blog will be added to as I have time. 

I'm lucky in that I have most of his books and signed. Not that I intend to sell them. I'm lucky to have met and worked with photographers who's books I had and treasured for years and asked them to sign. Not that I'm a groupie! I know one VERY famous Magnum member who buys multiple copies of books, gets the photographers to sign them all and then flogs all but one of them on Ebay! 

Archived