Stockimo. . Phone or iPhone only?

Ok, so I'm left wondering after Alamy's latest blog on the stockimo project. . .. Do images have to be shot on a iPhone only, or are other phone captured images acceptable?

I don't have an iPhone but I do have an iPad, so it is possible for me to send my phone shots to the iPad and use the stockimo app there to upload. I've submitted a few to test but they haven't been rated yet. The blog post seems (to me at least) to be at cross purposes somewhat, stating only phone shot images are wanted but seeming to imply it is only possible to shoot these with an iPhone?

Alex

An update; all the shots I submitted to stockimo have been rejected, so my stuff is either sh1te / not what is being sought for stockimo / or it is iphone only. If the latter is the case I would really like to hear an explanation as to why only one brand of phone is deemed accepatble for phoneography?

An update; all the shots I submitted to stockimo have been rejected, so my stuff is either sh1te / not what is being sought for stockimo / or it is iphone only. If the latter is the case I would really like to hear an explanation as to why only one brand of phone is deemed accepatble for phoneography?

Because they're the best . . . no wait . . . ummm . . .

. . . because they're the cheapest . . . no, wait . . .

. . . because they're the most used around the world . . . no wait . . . ummm . . .

. . . because they're the most reliable . . . no wait . . . ummmm . . .

. . . because they come in nicer colours . . . possible . . .

. . . because it appears most existing contributors use them, even though this development is most likely to attract brand new contributors  . .

. . .

dd

The Apple Appstore is a tried and test platform with a vetting process behind the scenes. All apps go through vigorous testing before they are accepted. Also when writing for Iphones you're writing for a software level, not various different hardware levels and SW levels like you do on Android. 

When I wrote my 4 android apps there was constant complaints about when they were going to be available on this device and this version of android. You needed to package up about 10 different sizes of each picture so it fit on all the different screen sizes. It was a nightmare. Not just that, you need to make sure it was going to run on Sense, Touchwiz and stock android. With Apple it's much easier. You write for a software version and all the phones that have the SW version will get the app, which is why mostly everything comes out on Apple first. Not to mention all those rooted Android users just waiting in the wing to reverse engineer your APK file so see how it ticks. 

I had a developer totally rip off one of my apps. It wasn't even done right as it still had all my quoted out directions in the coded parts. I used to quote out my code to tell me what part did what. Still had my name next to it. I just gave up on it all and envied App store Apps after that. I'm sure it can still be done on Apple stuff or we wouldn't have seen a spate of Flappy Bird clones everywhere. 

I'm pretty sure Stockimo will arrive for Android. I just worry that with the differences in camera technologies between vendors it'll be a mix of quality with the HTC ONE being 4mp and some others being 20MP and others fitting in-between. 

The iPhone-only restriction is a load of phooey.

A friend nearby is taking his pictures on a Blackberry Q10, exporting to his iPod (not iPad, as I first thought he meant) and uploading via the app. He says some of his have already passed. So presumably it's possible to shoot on Android and upload by the same method?

Richard. 

Ok, interesting Richard. That is what I did with my phone pics from a Nokia windows phone (so I don't give a phooey (awesome new word, ta) about Android either). So, looks like maybe my shots were just pants after all?! It would be nice to get a definitive answer from Alamy, but maybe I'll try again. I have since realised I accidently uploaded slightly downsized versions, I think my phone may have automatically reduced them to email. So that could have been a problem too!

Alex

I hope Alamy aren't reading this . . .

dd

I might be missing something but reading the contract and the questions on the Stockimo home page, it doesn't appear to say anywhere that you actually have to use an iPhone for the photography - it simply says phone or cell phone or mobile phone as far as I can see - normal cameras are forbidden. It's the app that needs an iPhone (or iPod as the compatility criteria are the same I think for apps). I have an iPhone in any case so not relevant to me I hasten to add.   

Ok, I have it from the horses mouth via twitter;

Stockimo's for smartphone photos (not just iPhone) but only downloadable from Apple App Store at the mo. Android may come later.

So I just need to shoot better phone images!

Alex

It wouldn't hurt to email support@stockimo.com and ask them to clarify if they're accepting images shot with iPads and iPods.

I have an iPad and have uploaded 2 photos (I rarely use it for photography so they are about the only 2 I would want to load) and they have been accepted.

I do not have an iPhone but looking at comments from AlexH, MDM and Richard Baker I am going to have a look at my Nexus 4 with a fresh perspective.

Scott

• 10 months later...

heres my 2 cents worth....stockimoto tell me that the app for android is very difficult to write compared to the iphone one, they also say it will probably come later but for now they have established that the iphone is the most popular [for what they want] they say that the majority of stuff they send out gets read on one....so thats straight from the horses mouth

..so just to update....yes you need to submit via an idevice that will run the stockimo app, but the images don't have to be shot on iphone. I have now got a few images on stockimo, submitting via ipad but all shot on Lumia phones.

Yes, other phones are fine as long as they are submitted through an Apple device. I got an iPad some months back and began submitting my Android LG images through it. A certain % accepted while learning what kind of images Stockimo likes.

I since bought an iPhone 6. It is a learning process as to what type of images fly and which crashes with a thud with Stockimo. Most of your run of the mill stock-type images that work for Alamy falls with a thud. Some cross over to both platforms, but, of course, Alamy doesn't take phone images.

Betty

Archived