The Fuji X-T1

Hi Duncan

I have ordered an XT1 and I am currently tracking the delivery driver now :-)

I brought it from Cambrian Photo, excellent service very willing to go the extra mile. I dealt with Sarah, she really knows her cameras

www.cambrianphoto.co.uk

Hi Duncan

I brought it from Cambrian Photo, excellent service very willing to go the extra mile. I dealt with Sarah, she really knows her cameras

www.cambrianphoto.co.uk

I popped in and bought mine from there on Monday. They are my local camera shop and give a really good service. Love the camera and can't wait to put it to use.

Pearl

Hi Duncan

www.cambrianphoto.co.uk

Hi Duncan

www.cambrianphoto.co.uk

I popped in and bought mine from there on Monday. They are my local camera shop and give a really good service. Love the camera and can't wait to put it to use.

Pearl

Flippin eck.... everyones getting one  :o  the good news is........ mines coming home. Spoke to them this morning and apparently it will be here today!! That would be 9 days from posting to getting it back. Not too bad. 

For those looking for Radio Triggers. I just received my Yongnuo RF 603CII Trigger/receiver set (£24) and they work perfectly with the X Trans cameras without any modifications, taping of pins etc.

Initial testing shows they sync perfectly up to 1/200 sec and even at 250 occasionally (x-Pro1). I've heard it manages 250 most of the time on the X-T1. Nicely above the specified 180 sync speed.

Hi Duncan

Will the Yongnuo trigger my canon speedlights. I also have the canon at-e2 but I am unsure what I can use on an xt1 without frying my new camera?

Mark

Yes. Make sure you buy the Yongnuo RF 603CII. The "C" stands for Canon and the II is the version number. The "II" version doesn't require any modifications where as the first version did. Your Canon flashes should would either via a Canon Cord or directly attached onto the Fuji as well. I had an old Nissin flash for my Canon and that worked on the Fuji. They basically work off the centre pin only, no TTL.

Not sure what the Yongnuo(s) cost, but if you want to order from Dallas, Texas, USA, CheetahStand.com has the Rook Wireless Remote for Canon for $69.95.  An extra receiver will cost you $37.95.  I got a set and extra receiver for my Nikon flashes.  30 minutes after placing the order, they were shipped. Got them the next morning, in all about 18 hours after placing the order.

Also, have a look at the Lumopro 180 flash, there's a lot of very good reviews and some of the build features make a lot of sense>  I don't have one but lookig to buy one here in the UK.  Finding a supplier is proving a touch more tricky that I would have hoped.

Not sure what the Yongnuo(s) cost, but if you want to order from Dallas, Texas, USA, CheetahStand.com has the Rook Wireless Remote for Canon for $69.95.  An extra receiver will cost you $37.95.  I got a set and extra receiver for my Nikon flashes.  30 minutes after placing the order, they were shipped. Got them the next morning, in all about 18 hours after placing the order.

Shame he isn't in the UK..... it's nice to have photography outlets with excellent service :-)

My X-T1 is back and the light leak is sorted!! 

Shame he isn't in the UK..... it's nice to have photography outlets with excellent service :-)

It truly is nice, Duncan.  I got onto Edward there who owns or runs the place from the Fuji X forum.  They said the customer service was top notch. I actually sent an email posisng the question and he called me 19 minutes later, and told me eactly what I needed.

Lots of good tips on the Fuji X forum, questions asked and answered, from no one but Fuji owners.  Some of the people own Canon and Nikon, have the flashes, and were where I am, wanting to use what I have.  I have 3 SB800s that I should use instead of buying another kind of flash.

It truly is nice, Duncan.  I got onto Edward there who owns or runs the place from the Fuji X forum.  They said the customer service was top notch. I actually sent an email posisng the question and he called me 19 minutes later, and told me eactly what I needed.

Lots of good tips on the Fuji X forum, questions asked and answered, from no one but Fuji owners.  Some of the people own Canon and Nikon, have the flashes, and were where I am, wanting to use what I have.  I have 3 SB800s that I should use instead of buying another kind of flash.

Exactly, if it ain't broke, no need to fix it. If you have any remote release/timers, try them out on the Fuji. I know my Canon Giga Pro remote timer release for my old Canon works perfectly with the Fuji cameras!

I receive excellent service from my local dealer, Campkins of Cambridge in Rose Crescent.

Good to hear the light leak is sorted. Don't have that problem in my later model.

I have the "hahnel" electronic remote release which I bought for my Canon which works well on my X-E2. Not tried yet on my X-T1.

It came with a couple of adaptors which are interchangeable including one which fits the Fuji socket.

Allan

Hi Betty, with 3 SB800 flash guns I'd be inclined either to get a 30m flash cable from Syl Arena or two radio triggers and have two of the flash guns operate in SU4 mode rather than buy more gear.

Gott my X-T1 and grip today and I love the viewfinder.

Question though: Whatever setting I have for IOS (Continuous or shooting only) or even with the IOS switched off on the lens I have the sound of a motor running continuously in the lens, no shutter pressure. Happens with both my 18-55 and 55-200. Any idea what is happening while I plough through the manual and experiment with settings. It does not seem to be continuous AF. I am on single shot, S, af mode.

Question though: Whatever setting I have for IOS (Continuous or shooting only) or even with the IOS switched off on the lens I have the sound of a motor running continuously in the lens, no shutter pressure. Happens with both my 18-55 and 55-200. Any idea what is happening while I plough through the manual and experiment with settings. It does not seem to be continuous AF. I am on single shot, S, af mode.

Not noticed the motor running before. Just tried out the same variety of settings and, in a quiet environment, I can hear the sound of what seems to be a motor running in both lenses mentioned too.

Just a thought, back in a mo.

Allan

EDIT: Back in the room.  The same is happening with the 10-24 as well.

I like the viewfinder too, but found out today that if the sun is coming from the side or slightly behind it blanks out the image in the viewfinder unless you have your eye pressed hard up to the camera. Maybe an eyecup would be a good idea?

Allan

Thanks Allan, so at least it is not just me. I thought it might be Pre-AF but that was switched off. I have just checked my X-E1 does it but I had never noticed.

The sun thing might be a slight concern as I wear glasses which presumably increases the risk. Did not notice a problem when I was out this lunchtime or with the X-E1 in the past.

The current eye cup can be removed. From what I heard, this was to allow additional different designed eyecups in the future. I haven't experienced this myself yet but I do know it was a problem with the X-Pro1. What you can do is select EVF only and it won't switch over to the screen. I hope they bring out an eyecup similar to that of the Nex 6/7.

Thanks Allan, so at least it is not just me. I thought it might be Pre-AF but that was switched off. I have just checked my X-E1 does it but I had never noticed.

The sun thing might be a slight concern as I wear glasses which presumably increases the risk. Did not notice a problem when I was out this lunchtime or with the X-E1 in the past.

Try switching off "Quick start mode". As far as I can establish this is designed to keep the AF hunting and the lens motor constantly running.

I now have my trigger/receivers set, a UV filter for the 10-24, but am still awaiting the camera and lenses.  When I called a week or two ago, I got "probably mid April" answer.

Here it is mid-April, and B&H is closed for the week leading up to Easter, so I know I won't be getting any shipping notification until the last week of April, probably. If I am very, very lucky.

I feel by the time I get it, I shall be in an old folks home, using a walker, nearly blind, toothless, and saying, "What's that black thing in this box?"  That is, if I can figure out how to open the box. 

Photography will only be a flicker of a memory in a brain forgetting everything else.

Do I sound frustrated?  He**, yes!

On another note, I use quick release plates on my Nikons.  I'm told I can use the same plate on the Fuji, but it will block the battery compartment. I guess one can order expensive Swiss Arca stuff (can't remember the name of all the parts) that won't block it, but I have already spent enough. 

So I guess if I want to do portraits or product, things I use a tripod for, I'm stuck with putting the plate on, then off.  Unless you all have an answer to that that doesn't cost a lot?  Somebody on the Fuji forum talked about ordering some Chinese plate, but found it ill-fitting on the camera, and causing scratches and wear.  I most assuredly don't want that!

I like the viewfinder too, but found out today that if the sun is coming from the side or slightly behind it blanks out the image in the viewfinder unless you have your eye pressed hard up to the camera. Maybe an eyecup would be a good idea?

Allan

Allan, Fuji have just announced a number of new X-T1 accessories and one of them is a new Eye Cup. If you scroll down this linked page you will see it. I think I'll be getting one of these when they are out!!

We had a harshly bright day yesterday so I tried to cause the light in the viewfinder problem, fortunately with no success. I am loving the X-T; looking forward to trying it on sport in next few days.

Unfortunately the neck strap lug on the body is too far forward so it creates an awkward angle for the shutter finger if I fit a (Canon E1) handstrap to it and the fitting on the vertical grip; a bit of a disappointment. Will have to see what I can design myself.

I don't quite understand the part about quick release.  What do you all take from the info?  A dovetail quick release as part of the hand grip?  To fit into what? I don't see them listing the part that goes on the tripod.

I don't quite understand the part about quick release.  What do you all take from the info?  A dovetail quick release as part of the hand grip?  To fit into what? I don't see them listing the part that goes on the tripod.

It fits into the Arca Swiss type tripod heads and works a treat.

Pearl

Hi Duncan

www.cambrianphoto.co.uk

Pearl

Sarah is a real Gem, excellent service

Archived