Food photos banned

It is not often that I agree with the French, besides working with a French news photo agency for years, my grandfather was also a French citizen, 

but I do like the idea of proper restaurants stopping people from taking photos with their iPhones ect. of the food they are served.  Over the years

I've done lots of food shots in restaurants with the help of the chef, the restaurant, a couple of assistants and cases of lighting equipment. 

I find it really annoying when the people that I am dining with or people dining close to me start snapping pictures of their plates, specially

when they ask me to move out of their way while my food is getting cold.

If I take one of a particularly florid dish it takes me all of 10 seconds.

At Sarran's in Toulouse last year not only didn't they stop me but Michel Sarran himself came out to see who was ordering all the wine. I took his picture too but unfortunately he missed his mark.

"

Restaurants and food pictures have always been a part of travel photography, the overall travel experience. Doing a full-menu shoot, where the restaurant is closed and you have a lot of control, with the restaurant itself as the client, is something else entirely. I've done both. 

I used to eat out a lot and in the past was a restaurant reviewer. When I decided to get back into (digital) stock part-time I've tried to shoot in restaurants when I could. That is I would shoot if I could get a table where the light was good . . . and I could snap away without causing a distraction to the other dinners. This meant no flash and no standing up and moving around. For the past few years I've been using the NEX-6 and NEX-7 with their 24mm Sony Zeiss (36mm view) that focuses down to 6.5".  As with all things, this is a compromise.  But I have been happy with this combo. I have been asked not to take pictures on occasion.  DFMCTW - RM

There are a lot of things I don't like about the modern restaurant experience: the prices are way too high; the places are purposely noisy to give the effect of 'party time.'

It's entirely possible that the general public will get past all this pointless, endless online communications, showing every minute of their lives. "Remember when we used to. . . ."

While I'm out eating or drinking, I don't even want to see or hear a smartphone (or whatever phone). I like to eat/drink/talk undisturbed. I simply HATE those annoying little cursed boxes, especially when they go off in the middle of a good conversation and ruin a good atmosphere  :angry:

Cheers,

Philippe, yeah, a grumpy old fuddy-duddy (learned a new word today: "fuddy-duddy"  :))

I think social media can probably take much of the blame for this trend. A lot of people love to post pictures of what they had for breakfast, lunch and dinner on sites like Facebook. I'm amazed that they don't post shots of their b_ _ _ l  movements as well. Guess I also fit into the fuddy-duddy Luddite category.

While I'm out eating or drinking, I don't even want to see or hear a smartphone (or whatever phone). I like to eat/drink/talk undisturbed. I simply HATE those annoying little cursed boxes, especially when they go off in the middle of a good conversation and ruin a good atmosphere  :angry:

Cheers,

Philippe, yeah, a grumpy old fuddy-duddy (learned a new word today: "fuddy-duddy"  :))

I think social media can probably take much of the blame for this trend. A lot of people love to post pictures of what they had for breakfast, lunch and dinner on sites like Facebook. I'm amazed that they don't post shots of their b_ _ _ l  movements as well. Guess I also fit into the fuddy-duddy Luddite category.

The thing is everyone expects you to post them regardless, every time i reload any social-media page i see so so many.  what selfies i have and continue to see, i shall not say. what they are doing in the same image is another thing altogether....  you will even get asked to comment that's the most annoying thing ever.  Just makes me want to become a panda.  

Archived