Martin P Wilson

I have been trying to grapple with the decline in performance of my portfolio. If I had the information I need I would edit it hard and monitor the performance of my portfolio going forward. It would also inform my future shoots and uploads.

What I need is a way of seeing how individual images are performing. How many views, zooms, adds to lightbox has each image had since it was uploaded/ in a selected period? Happy to take it as a monthly download (after getting initial history) and maintain the database  on my own computers for detailed analysis. It would be useful to also take a download of image-keywords to extend the statistical analysis.

I suspect a good chunk of my portfolio has never even been viewed in many years and might be better deleted unless it is a strong image/message in a true niche. Measures does not give me that information. In these days of Big Data it is what I, and I suspect many others, need to refine our offering on Alamy, to make our portfolio more commercial.

As a short term alternative it would also be useful if we were able to take images off sale without deleting them. That way we could park images we suspect may not be helping, we could then delete them if appropriate  or return them to sale if they turn out not to be the problem.

Anyone else?

Agree with all you have said, Martin.

Aside from aiding contributors, this would likely help reduce the load on Alamy's servers, while at the same time time improving the quality of customer's searches search results.  It may also help improve the image quality of the library overall, benefiting contributors, customers and Alamy alike.

EDITED: to make clearer (I hope!)

+1 from me too.

I've mentioned this before that it would be a great help to see what was being viewed and how often. I think it might be the single biggest improvement to measures that would surely help everyone.

John.

+1 from me as well. 

My experience from another site proves it's difficult to know what will attract a client's eye and produce a sale.  I want to focus future image uploads and possibly even remove non performing images but so far I am not getting enough zooms and sales to effectively guide my decisions.

+1 from me too.

I too would love to see an "added to lightbox" column. I would think that there are more lightbox additions than zooms. When researching through All of Alamy in Measures, its hard to read what searches actually produced results unless they were purchased at that time of the search. 

I would think that many clients (especially calendar manufacturers) would have someone searching for photos for a particular calendar, putting about 100-200 in the lightbox, where a group of people would go over the pics and choose the final 12. It would be nice to know if any of my pics made it to the lightbox. As Lynne says, its difficult to decide where to spend the time and money if you can't really tell what images are performing, or what images have been selling well and which subjects are dead in the water.

Jill

IMO being added to a lightbox is not "performing". Being zoomed is not "performing".

Selling is the one and only measure of "performing".

dd

IMO being added to a lightbox is not "performing". Being zoomed is not "performing".

dd

True, sales are the only real measure of if our images are "performing" - but a bit of encouragement by way of details of zooms and being added to a lightbox would help us along the way to getting more sales.

John.

• 2 weeks later...

I certainly wouldn't complain about having more data available so I could see how my images were performing. While sales are the ultimate indicator, if someone zooms or adds an image to a light box, they do so because they have seen something that interests them or, maybe of use to them in the future. This is always good to know!

+1

dd

At the sort of agency where many images sell more than once, sometimes by a factor of ten, occasionally in the hundreds, then selling certainly is "performing" (by both the contrib and the agency).  Having images listed in hierarchical order of sales made / revenue earned is very helpful.  At Alamy, however, a low performance (revenue per image) agency, sales stats alone won't mean much without the additional info.

• 4 weeks later...

What I need is a way of seeing how individual images are performing. How many views, zooms, adds to lightbox has each image had since it was uploaded/ in a selected period? Happy to take it as a monthly download (after getting initial history) and maintain the database  on my own computers for detailed analysis. It would be useful to also take a download of image-keywords to extend the statistical analysis.

Anyone else?

Agreed +1

Archived