Choose a camera so that my pictures pass quality control at the alamy

9 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

A possibly timely little article on the 2011 Sony NEX-7:

https://www.35mmc.com/26/07/2024/sony-nex-7-from-2011-revisited-sony-and-aps-c-part-3-of-3/

(deliberately intrusive ads but nothing harmful)

Interesting article. The NEX-7 was a nifty camera. I almost bought a used one about 10 years ago but decided on a new NEX-6 instead. I've fooled around a bit with adapters and old manual focus lenses on these little cameras. They work fine and can be fun to use in a nostalgic kind of way. Optics are usually good as well. They can be a relatively inexpensive option for someone on a limited budget.

Edited by John Mitchell

14 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

decided on a new NEX-6 instead. I've fooled around a bit with adapters and old manual focus lenses on these little cameras.

Ditto. I've used Canon FD and Tamron Adaptall lenses on mine, including my Tamron 500mm mirror lens which is of course effectively 800mm on the APSC NEX-6.

Alan

10 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

Ditto. I've used Canon FD and Tamron Adaptall lenses on mine, including my Tamron 500mm mirror lens which is of course effectively 800mm on the APSC NEX-6.

Alan

I used to have that 500mm Tamron 500mm mirror lens. It was an interesting contraption. However, the focusing drove me crazy, plus I hardly ever used it. Consequently, the lens ended up on craigslist. I find 28mm (42mm with a crop sensor) to be a useful focal length for everyday photography. Old manual focus lenses 28mm are relatively easy to find and inexpensive (mine cost me $40 CAN). However, the 35mm Sony f/1.8 lens that I shelled out for a number of years ago is sharper and has steady shot, so I now prefer it.

On 24/07/2024 at 23:47, M.Chapman said:

Certainly it will be easier and more fun to learn about photography if you have a camera to experiment with.  If you buy a low cost secondhand camera (e.g. on eBay), if it doesn't work out, you can always sell it again and you won't lose too much money. To find a suitable camera to learn with that is also likely to be OK for Alamy, type "digital camera" into eBay search box. Then down the left hand side I suggest ticking the following boxes

Type: Tick Digital SLR

Maximum Resolution: Tick resolutions above 12MP

Optical zoom: Tick up to 3x

Manufacturer: Tick Nikon (for the logical reasons stated by MDM)

Features: Tick Interchangeable lenses

Price: Enter your Max price limit

Buying format: Tick Buy it Now (to avoid auction disappointments and to have your price limit applied correctly)

Location: Suggest selecting your home country only (to avoid extra shipping and customs costs and make it easier to converse with seller if needed)

From the results select camera(s) that come with battery(s), charger, memory card and a Nikon lens (something like 18-55mm is typical)

READ THE FULL DESCRIPTION FROM THE BUYER - DOES IT STATE THE CAMERA IS FULLY WORKING!! 

Check they have sold multiple items before (i.e. experienced seller)

Check Sellers Rating and feedback as seller (Don't buy from anyone with less than 99% rating)

Check the seller has included good photos of the items for sale

Check they accept returns

If you find some possible cameras, you can post the URLs here for others to check for you.

If you do decide to buy, use eBay's payment system and, if needed, converse with the seller via eBay's messaging system (NOT DIRECT EMAIL)

Before buying I often send a message with a question to the seller to check they respond sensibly.

Hello Mark. I entered everything into the search conditions on eBay as you wrote to me in your post. And also in the search conditions, I need to enter data such as Series, Digital Zoom, Maximum Aperture, Model, Show Only. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/31388/i.html?_dcat=625&_fsrp=1&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=1&_ipg=60&_in_kw=2&LH_RPA=1&_sacat=31388&Features=Interchangeable%20Lenses&_udhi=250&LH_FS=1&LH_PrefLoc=6&LH_ItemCondition=3000&Brand=Nikon&Type=Digital%20SLR&Optical%20Zoom=3%2D9%2E9x&_nkw=digital+camera&LH_BIN=1&Connectivity=USB&_sop=12&Maximum%20Resolution=12%2D13%2E9%20MP

Could you write me which ones exactly? Or maybe this data is not essential and need not be filled in? 

If Mark is not on the website, then maybe you can write to me MDM? Nikon 3300 is not on the list

3 hours ago, Dionis said:

Could you write me which ones exactly? Or maybe this data is not essential and need not be filled in? 

This was getting some results:   24 mp digital camera dslr canon.

You can substitute other brand names:  24 mp digital camera dslr nikon

My preference is buying from a store that I can get a short warranty from and can get back to.   Don't know what you have available there, though.

12 hours ago, Dionis said:

Hello Mark. I entered everything into the search conditions on eBay as you wrote to me in your post. And also in the search conditions, I need to enter data such as Series, Digital Zoom, Maximum Aperture, Model, Show Only. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/31388/i.html?_dcat=625&_fsrp=1&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=1&_ipg=60&_in_kw=2&LH_RPA=1&_sacat=31388&Features=Interchangeable%20Lenses&_udhi=250&LH_FS=1&LH_PrefLoc=6&LH_ItemCondition=3000&Brand=Nikon&Type=Digital%20SLR&Optical%20Zoom=3%2D9%2E9x&_nkw=digital+camera&LH_BIN=1&Connectivity=USB&_sop=12&Maximum%20Resolution=12%2D13%2E9%20MP

If Mark is not on the website, then maybe you can write to me MDM? Nikon 3300 is not on the list

Ignore all that. I'm not sure why Mark posted that given that you had already decided on a D3300. Just search Nikon D3300 and you should find one with 18-55 lens at the right price. Remember, check the shutter count and make sure they accept returns in the event of a damaged camera. 

3 hours ago, MDM said:

Ignore all that. I'm not sure why Mark posted that given that you had already decided on a D3300. Just search Nikon D3300 and you should find one with 18-55 lens at the right price. Remember, check the shutter count and make sure they accept returns in the event of a damaged camera. 

I posted that because I didn’t think at that stage a Nikon D3300 had been decided upon, it was just one of your recommendations, so my search allowed other suitable Nikon models.

Mark

15 hours ago, Dionis said:

You only need to fill in the fields I suggested. I expect Nikon D3300 hasn’t appeared because there’s not on currently available in your country within your budget. But there should be other Nikon models that are.

Mark

31 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

You only need to fill in the fields I suggested. I expect Nikon D3300 hasn’t appeared because there’s not on currently available in your country within your budget. But there should be other Nikon models that are.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Will other camera models from this list be of acceptable quality for alamy?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/31388/i.html?_dcat=625&_fsrp=1&LH_TitleDesc=1&_ipg=60&_in_kw=2&LH_RPA=1&_sacat=31388&Features=Interchangeable%20Lenses&_udhi=250&LH_FS=1&LH_PrefLoc=6&LH_ItemCondition=3000&Brand=Nikon&Type=Digital%20SLR&Optical%20Zoom=3%2D9%2E9x&_nkw=digital+camera&LH_BIN=1&Connectivity=USB&Maximum%20Resolution=12%2D13%2E9%20MP&_sop=15

For example: Nikon D40x; d70; d80; d100; Coolpix

(I need to know this in case I can't find a Nikon 3300 at a reasonable price)

15 minutes ago, Dionis said:

Thanks Mark. Will other camera models from this list be of acceptable quality for alamy?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/31388/i.html?_dcat=625&_fsrp=1&LH_TitleDesc=1&_ipg=60&_in_kw=2&LH_RPA=1&_sacat=31388&Features=Interchangeable%20Lenses&_udhi=250&LH_FS=1&LH_PrefLoc=6&LH_ItemCondition=3000&Brand=Nikon&Type=Digital%20SLR&Optical%20Zoom=3%2D9%2E9x&_nkw=digital+camera&LH_BIN=1&Connectivity=USB&Maximum%20Resolution=12%2D13%2E9%20MP&_sop=15

Coolpix - highly unlikely to pass Alamy QC (I stand to be corrected if anyone has successfully managed!)

1 hour ago, Dionis said:

Looks like quite a few cameras have been incorrectly categorised on eBay. 😞 Changing the search string to "DSLR camera" seems to remove some of the incorrectly categorised cameras. D80 is OK for Alamy, although more megapixels may be useful if cropping images.

Mark

1 hour ago, Dionis said:

Forget all of these. Coolpix is a compact digital so not suitable anyway. The others are all ancient with small to tiny sensors. You would be wasting your money. I have images from a Canon 20D with 6MP sensor on Alamy but I would no way recommend that nowadays. 

I  strongly advise you to look at D3200, D3300 etc cameras which have 24MP sensors. These are relatively modern amateur cameras which have probably not seen too much use. Buying older professional cameras is a bad idea.

There were some D3300s on eBay with lens and low shutter count in the UK when I checked last week. See also the link Mr Standfast posted for info about when the cameras were made and discontinued. 

Edited by MDM

The D80 was discontinued in 2006. It has a 10MP sensor. A very bad idea to buy one of these in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I posted that because I didn’t think at that stage a Nikon D3300 had been decided upon, it was just one of your recommendations, so my search allowed other suitable Nikon models.

Mark

OK sure but i think it caused more confusion. In the Nikon world there are only a few cameras that would qualify within the budget. The Dnn cameras are all ancient with small sensors so immediately ruled out. The Dnnn camera are all pro or prosumer and too expensive or.are likely to have taken a lot of use or abuse if within the budget. The Dn cameras are all pro so forget them. The D5nnn and D7nnn cameras are consumer to prosumer but likely to be too expensive or have very high shutter counts if within budget. That leaves just the D3n00 cameras. I think going for 24MP is wise so start at the D3200 as the D3100 is only 14MP. The D3400 and .and D3500 might be too expensive. That leaves the D3200 and D3300 which can be found within or around budget with lens and low shutter count. 

Edited by MDM

41 minutes ago, MDM said:

I think going for 24MP is wise so start at the D3200 as the D3100 is only 14MP.

This is something I surely disagree with, given that he is going to use a consumer lens. A crop sensor of 14Mp is much less demanding to a lens than a 24 Mp sensor and is definitely sufficient for stock demands. If those Nikon sensors are deficient for other reasons, then I would look at alternative brands, particularly Canon (which I would do anyways) but would not consider to buy a 20+ Mp crop camera paired with a poor lens.

Edit: and level of skills for using a high-megapixel crop camera also needs to be higher...

Edited by IKuzmin

40 minutes ago, IKuzmin said:

This is something I surely disagree with, given that he is going to use a consumer lens. A crop sensor of 14Mp is much less demanding to a lens than a 24 Mp sensor and is definitely sufficient for stock demands. If those Nikon sensors are deficient for other reasons, then I would look at alternative brands, particularly Canon (which I would do anyways) but would not consider to buy a 20+ Mp crop camera paired with a poor lens.

Edit: and level of skills for using a high-megapixel crop camera also needs to be higher...

I don't think 24MP is a high MP sensor - 36MP and higher yes. As I said way back, I bought my son one of these as well as my wife (D3400) Neither ever developed much interest in photography but they can produce decent images with the kit lens. 

As for Canon, dynamic range and noise levels of the DSLRs in the range we are talking about here are very poor in comparison to equivalent Nikons. This can be verified on DxO if they still publish that data. Also Canon tend to be more expensive. 

Anyway I've spent far too much time on this going back and forth. What Dionis needs is specific advice about a few specific camerasa as he doesn't have the knowledge to judge for himself. I have done that and am now taking a break from this. I wish him luck. 

49 minutes ago, MDM said:

I don't think 24MP is a high MP sensor - 36MP and higher yes.

I do not believe you are serious talking of crop sensors. 24 x 2.5 = 60 Mp FF equivalent.

51 minutes ago, MDM said:

As for Canon, dynamic range and noise levels of the DSLRs in the range we are talking about here are very poor in comparison to equivalent Nikons.

😉 Canon is dooomed.

3 hours ago, MDM said:

OK sure but i think it caused more confusion. In the Nikon world there are only a few cameras that would qualify within the budget. The Dnn cameras are all ancient with small sensors so immediately ruled out. 

??

The D80 has a 10MP APSC sized sensor (same size as D3200) which is fine for Alamy. Sure more pixels and a more modern camera like a D3200 would be nice, but can the OP can find one with a good lens within budget in Georgia? If not I'd argue a D80 would be a good lower cost alternative. https://www.cameralabs.com/nikon-d80-retro-review/

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

This is an image that has sold on Alamy and was taken with the D80 and 18-135 lens. I believe it was the "kit lens" so not the greatest. My wildlife pics at that time were taken with the D300 and 80-400 lens. Also a lens that was not highly thought of but the images sell.

maremma-or-abruzzese-sheepdog-guarding-o

Maremma Sheepdog at work.

I realize it would be better to have a more capable camera but the D80 served me well.

Paulette

55 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

??

The D80 has a 10MP APSC sized sensor (same size as D3200) which is fine for Alamy. Sure more pixels and a more modern camera like a D3200 would be nice, but can the OP can find one with a good lens within budget in Georgia? If not I'd argue a D80 would be a good lower cost alternative. https://www.cameralabs.com/nikon-d80-retro-review/

Mark

It's a risk anyway buying any secondhand camera moreover because it might be difficult to impossible to return it from Georgia. . So I'm just weighing up the odds of getting a decent camera based on age and the probability of getting something in good working order with that very small budget. The D80 is old so if it was me I would go for the newer machine based on that probability. Also I think 24MP gives a higher degree of future proofing as well as comfort in cropping. I don't believe it is excessive at all. Anyway that is what I would go for myself with that budget if it's possible to find one at the right price. That's about it really.