Choose a camera so that my pictures pass quality control at the alamy

Good day. Please tell me what camera I should buy so that my photographs pass quality control at the Alamy. I'm a beginner photographer from Georgia Republic (West Asia) and I don't have the opportunity to buy an expensive camera. But I believe that there are also inexpensive and even used cameras that can be used to take photographs that would meet the quality control of alamy's photos. I would like to photograph nature. The Alamy website has tips on quality requirements https://www.alamy.com/blog/alamys-rough-guide-to-digital-cameras. But I don't quite understand it. Give me some advice please

I think second-hand is the only option.

Canon 550d with 18-55 kit lens can meet Alamy QC, there are many other models of that sort of vintage.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

You might find one of the older (used) Sony NEX cameras in that price range. They have large APS-C sensors that produce images that are suitable for Alamy. I have many images taken with these cameras (NEX-3 and NEX-6) that continue to license here. Good luck.

Edited by John Mitchell

8 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

I think second-hand is the only option.

Canon 550d with 18-55 kit lens can meet Alamy QC, there are many other models of that sort of vintage.

Mark

Thanks for the advice Mark) 

10 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

You might find one of the older (used) Sony NEX cameras in that price range. They have large APS-C sensors that produce images that are suitable for Alamy. I have many images taken with these cameras (NEX-3 and NEX-6) that continue to license here. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice John) 

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think that with the help of the information received from you I will be able to purchase a suitable camera)

I wish you well, but if you are looking to sell your images on Alamy. the level of the competition is very high.

Here are some examples.

https://www.alamy.com/category/wildlife.html

Also have a look in the portfolio review section of the forum, lots of helpfull comments.

You may want to budget for lessons as well.

Good luck.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

I wish you well, but if you are looking to sell your images on Alamy. the level of the competition is very high.

Here are some examples.

https://www.alamy.com/category/wildlife.html

Also have a look in the portfolio review section of the forum, lots of helpfull comments.

You may want to budget for lessons as well.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice Mr Standfast) Yes, indeed, the competition is very high. But I would still like to try to sell my photos on Alamy. I was looking at a woman photographer's posts on social media. She manages to sell photos from her everyday life, for example, even photos of her husband taking medications) This fact really surprised me)

7 minutes ago, Dionis said:

Thanks for the advice Mr Standfast) Yes, indeed, the competition is very high. But I would still like to try to sell my photos on Alamy. I was looking at a woman photographer's posts on social media. She manages to sell photos from her everyday life, for example, even photos of her husband taking medications) This fact really surprised me)

Those are exactly the sort of photos that sell on Alamy, don't be surprised.

I should take more 😁

Edited by Martin L

1 minute ago, Martin L said:

Those are exactly the sort of photos that sell on Alamy, don't be surprised.

Thanks Martin. Maybe then it would be better to sell photos from everyday life, rather than photos of nature)

28 minutes ago, Dionis said:

Thanks Martin. Maybe then it would be better to sell photos from everyday life, rather than photos of nature)

Do both

16 minutes ago, Dionis said:

Don't forget the camera is just a tool, you also have to use it correctly to pass Alamys quality control

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Martin L said:

Do both

Don't forget the camera is just a tool, you also have to use it correctly to pass Alamys quality control

Advice accepted)

1 hour ago, Dionis said:

Looks like seller is in Japan and description says "Only Japanese language".

Suggest looking for secondhand in your own country to avoid unexpected surprises and extra costs (import duty and shipping)

Where are you based?

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Looks like seller is in Japan and description says "Only Japanese language".

Suggest looking for secondhand in your own country to avoid unexpected surprises and extra costs (import duty and shipping)

Where are you based?

Mark

Thanks for the clarification Mark) And I didn't even notice. In this case, this camera is not suitable for me. I'm in Georgia Republic (West Asia) 

And another question for you Mark: which camera is better - DSLR or mirrorless?

Personally I prefer mirrorless. Smaller, lighter and more reliable AF than the DSLR's I've owned.

If I had to buy a low cost secondhand SLR style camera now for Alamy I'd probably go for a Lumix G5, G6 or G7.

I've owned G5 and G7 in the past, and have many pictures on Alamy taken with them.

But each photographer has their own favourites.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

Mirrorless is better. Camera will be smaller, will have newer technology, less moving parts so less chance of things going wrong in theory. Need to take into account the sensor size and lens that comes with any camera you look at though vs any other options you are considering.

• Like 1

Ten years ago I bought a Sony NEX6 as a second camera to take out when I didn't want to lug my heavy DSLR gear around. I'm still using it regularly and photos taken with it sell on Alamy. It's small enough to slip into a large pocket (e.g. a jacket) and light enough that I'm hardly aware it's on my shoulder. Second hand ones should be cheap by now,

Alan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dionis said:

Thanks for the clarification Mark) And I didn't even notice. In this case, this camera is not suitable for me. I'm in Georgia Republic (West Asia) 

And another question for you Mark: which camera is better - DSLR or mirrorless?

This may mean that the menus are in Japanese, but I'd be surprised if the language can't be changed- I bought my A58 from a Pole and changed the language. If you look for a manual in English (or your first language- I don't know what that is) you may be able to work out how to change the language if you can't read Japanese.

9 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Personally I prefer mirrorless. Smaller, lighter and more reliable AF than the DSLR's I've owned.

If I had to buy a low cost secondhand SLR style camera now for Alamy I'd probably go for a Lumix G5, G6 or G7.

I've owned G5 and G7 in the past, and have many pictures on Alamy taken with them.

But each photographer has their own favourites.

Mark

Ok Mark. Thanks for the advice). I'll look for a mirrorless one. And if the price is acceptable to me, I will buy a mirrorless one.

6 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

Ten years ago I bought a Sony NEX6 as a second camera to take out when I didn't want to lug my heavy DSLR gear around. I'm still using it regularly and photos taken with it sell on Alamy. It's small enough to slip into a large pocket (e.g. a jacket) and light enough that I'm hardly aware it's on my shoulder. Second hand ones should be cheap by now,

Alan

Thanks Alan)