June Challenge - Our Feathered Friends

4 minutes ago, David Fowler said:

a-black-headed-gull-chroicocephalus-ridiBlack Headed Gull at Rye, East Sussex

What a perfectly groomed bird. Are you sure it was real?

Paulette

• Like 1

I'm beginning to appreciate starlings more.

Juvenile starling, juvenile sturnus vulgaris perched on a garden fence in Faringdon, Oxfordshire, England
juvenile-starling-juvenile-sturnus-vulga

European starling, sturnus vulgaris perched on a bird feeder by its talons showing iridescent feathers in a garden
european-starling-sturnus-vulgaris-perch

• Love 1

Congratulations, Jill. Your bird photography is outstanding. Here’s my humble offerings.

Northern Flicker

a-yellow-shafted-northern-flicker-colapt

Male House Finch in a blooming crabapple tree

house-finch-haemorhous-mexicanus-perched

Barred Owl, Louisianna swamp

a-barred-owl-strix-variain-louisianas-at

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 3

Here`s three of mine:

1) A juvenile Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) taking flight from a wooden stump with mountains and ocean in the background.

a-juvenile-bald-eagle-haliaeetus-leucoce

2) A Snowy Owl (Bubo scandiacus) flying low over a marsh with wings pointed up while a photographer takes aim. 

a-snowy-owl-bubo-scandiacus-flying-low-o

3) A young Trumpeter swan (Cygnus buccinator) flapping its wings spreading ripples in the water against a black background.

a-young-trumpeter-swan-cygnus-buccinator

• Love 2

On 10/06/2024 at 04:52, cbimages said:

Male Satin Bowerbird, Ptilonorhynchus violaceus, standing beside his bower with yellow and blue objects in his beak as he dispays for a nearby female

male-satin-bowerbird-ptilonorhynchus-vio

I love Bowerbirds and would very much like to see them one day. Fascinating birds. I like your photo very much with the bird showing off the colour sorted treasures. 🙂

• Love 1

1 hour ago, VbFolly said:

Three from me.

Sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk-accipiter-nisus-a-young-male

Swan family at sunset

family-of-mute-swans-cygnus-olor-with-si

Pigeon and decoy owl

pigeon-next-to-a-decoy-bird-of-prey-owl-

Somebody has used a scary owl and spikes and still has pigeons on their windowsill. .😒

Paulette

9 hours ago, NYCat said:

Somebody has used a scary owl and spikes and still has pigeons on their windowsill. .😒

Paulette

Yes, they're very persistent!

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2024 at 17:58, LarsMadsen said:

I hope that you see this Lars. We have a male Satin Bowerbird living next door, he visits us a few times a day and will come when called. Right now it is getting close to mating time and he's fat and glossy. We had up to 8 Bowerbirds in the yard earlier this morning when I was hanging out the laundry. Many females and some young males + Blackie

• Love 2

8 hours ago, cbimages said:

I hope that you see this Lars. We have a male Satin Bowerbird living next door, he visits us a few times a day and will come when called. Right now it is getting close to mating time and he's fat and glossy. We had up to 8 Bowerbirds in the yard earlier this morning when I was hanging out the laundry. Many females and some young males + Blackie

I love those birds. They always make me smile with their efforts.

Paulette

• Love 1

On 12/07/2024 at 04:14, cbimages said:

That sounds fantastic to have that many bowerbirds so close. ☺️

• Love 1

On 19/07/2024 at 16:42, LarsMadsen said:

That sounds fantastic to have that many bowerbirds so close. ☺️

We now have a pair of green catbirds, very similar to the young or female Satin Bowerbirds. I put out some rolled oats and chopped apple or pear for them each morning and they are quite tame now.

• Love 3