Hi

If I want to leave Alamy due the commission rates , can I download all my images and they will all be still captioned and keyworded so I can migrate them elsewhere without having to redo the work?

Thanks

you saying you didn't save your files before you uploaded them? Why would anyone take that risk? with almost 16,000 images, you making so few sales you're down in the 20% club? None of us are happy about the reduced commission rates but most options are just as bad or even worse!

• Like 1

In the AIM Alamy Image Manager, there's a button:

Download your data
If you would like a copy of all file names and related image metadata,
then you can request a spreadsheet by clicking the button below.

Btw I know we cannot discuss other agencies here, but I guess you must have found one that's exclusive AND selling more AND at higher prices?

wim

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Hi Wim. Thanks what I wanted to know was can I download all the images with the data in the file info. Not just the data. Also there are some images I have lost since I uploaded them so I need to get them too.

BTW I haven't found another agency. I just can't stomach getting less than 50%. Any hints would be good.

thanks

On 06/06/2024 at 17:13, wiskerke said:

In the AIM Alamy Image Manager, there's a button:

Download your data
If you would like a copy of all file names and related image metadata,
then you can request a spreadsheet by clicking the button below.

Btw I know we cannot discuss other agencies here, but I guess you must have found one that's exclusive AND selling more AND at higher prices?

wim

Posted (edited)

You can't usually get the files with the metadata, no. ISTR a contributor asked Alamy for some images he'd lost in a disk crash and was charged for them.

Of course you could only get the jpegs as that's what you provided.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

And, even if Alamy were prepared to give us access to our jpgs they will have been converted to sRGB profile (if they were aRGB), had the profile stripped and jpg compression level increased…. Keeping a backup of the original images is essential IMO.

Mark

• Like 2

It's also a requirement under the contract.......

17.2. Contributors will be responsible for maintaining original copies of and digital back-up copies of all Content submitted to Alamy and will promptly provide replacement digital copies to Alamy on request at any time.

9 hours ago, asproid said:

Hi Wim. Thanks what I wanted to know was can I download all the images with the data in the file info. Not just the data. Also there are some images I have lost since I uploaded them so I need to get them too.

BTW I haven't found another agency. I just can't stomach getting less than 50%. Any hints would be good.

There's only one way to find out: contact contributors@alamy.com.

I would first find out which images are really missing.

All sorts of software (some of which you may already have) let you import keywords in spreadsheet format including Photoshop or rather Bridge: Photo Mechanic (not free); ExifTool (donation); Keywords From CSV (donation).

Many discussions on the Adobe Community.

Alexandre Brasilnut shows his net income across a whole bunch of agencies every month on his blog. If you compare his portfolio on Alamy with yours, you may figure out if you are doing better or worse here. And whether you might do better or worse at some of the other outlets.

Don't get your hopes too high though.

wim

• Love 1

On 09/06/2024 at 22:55, wiskerke said:

There's only one way to find out: contact contributors@alamy.com.

I would first find out which images are really missing.

All sorts of software (some of which you may already have) let you import keywords in spreadsheet format including Photoshop or rather Bridge: Photo Mechanic (not free); ExifTool (donation); Keywords From CSV (donation).

Many discussions on the Adobe Community.

Alexandre Brasilnut shows his net income across a whole bunch of agencies every month on his blog. If you compare his portfolio on Alamy with yours, you may figure out if you are doing better or worse here. And whether you might do better or worse at some of the other outlets.

Don't get your hopes too high though.

wim

Thanks so much for your input. Really appreciated. I have photoshop subscription and photomechanic. I will have to try to work out how to do it. Will also check that blog. Tbh I thought, not sure why, that Alamy had gone back to 50-50. 60-40 in their favour really gets my goat. Effectively you get 20% less. 

15 minutes ago, asproid said:

is this name correct? I can't find it

Link takes you directly to Brasilnut's post with a link to his blog.

• Love 1

On 09/06/2024 at 20:19, Vincent Lowe said:

It's also a requirement under the contract.......

17.2. Contributors will be responsible for maintaining original copies of and digital back-up copies of all Content submitted to Alamy and will promptly provide replacement digital copies to Alamy on request at any time.

Recently I had to provide the metadata from an original raw file in connection with a infringement case. Fortunately I was able to do so and was rewarded for my efforts.

I have somehow managed to delete a small number of my original files, but the vast majority are kept on both the drive on this computer and backed up onto an external drive.

• Like 2

On 09/06/2024 at 11:56, spacecadet said:

You can't usually get the files with the metadata, no. ISTR a contributor asked Alamy for some images he'd lost in a disk crash and was charged for them.

OMG they charge you to get your own images. Unbelievable.  In my case a hard drive fell over on the desk and died. I did have some back up elsewhere but I  lost some recent stuff. 

16 hours ago, Bryan said:

Recently I had to provide the metadata from an original raw file in connection with a infringement case. Fortunately I was able to do so and was rewarded for my efforts.

I have somehow managed to delete a small number of my original files, but the vast majority are kept on both the drive on this computer and backed up onto an external drive.

So you have to provide them with backups but they charge you for the same thing. I find this astonishing.

Alamy has always made clear that it is not an image storage service. They have been helpful to me in retrieving lost images on two occasions. The first time it was only a small number that I lost and they let me download them as though I was a client. The second time it was around 1700 images and I offered to pay £100 to cover staff time etc. Alamy was kind enough to accept that offer which was a godsend to me compared with rescanning so many slides. So I wasn't actually 'charged'. I made an offer which was kindly accepted. 

Both of these occasions were long, long ago and I was not removing images from Alamy.

These were favours not something that we can automatically assume is available to us.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Like 3