Sony rx100s

Addict

Question

I’m still using my original Sony rx100. Thinking of a newer model. Maybe the 3 model. Are the lens on all the models just as sharp or sharper? Who is using the 7? Opinion? Expensive. Probably more than I need? What do you think is the best for stock without going overboard with features? Best zoom? 

thanks

18 answers to this question

I don't own one of these little wonders, but I keep saying that I'd like to get one. You've probably seen this comparison. Version III looks good to me as well. It has an EVF and tilting screen. The longer zoom on the more expensive VI and VII would be nice, though, as 24-70 is a bit limited.

1 minute ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have the 1 & the 3. Love the 3 & am happy with it. I have a number of images on Alamy shot with both. The 3 is just as sharp as the 1.

That sounds like a good combo as the 1 has a slightly longer zoom. Unfortunately, I just had to shell out an outrageous sum of $$$$ for an emergency root canal, so I'll be dreaming for awhile longer... 😴

Yes, I had a root canal in the spring. My insurance took care of half, but half was still a big hit.

This from the 3. This image is actually sharper than it appears here. Something about the jpeg compression.

2N8G1K8.jpg

F9BNP6.jpg

As far as the zoom, I thought after shooting the 1 that I would feel very restricted by the shorter 3. Not so. I can still stand in a parking lot & get a distant & closeup of a shopfront. I’m used to it now & don’t even think of the limitations. The man on the paddleboard is what I was taking when the gentle waves eroded the sand from under my feet.

I fell & spun like I was in a washing machine, sometimes with my legs waving in the air, while holding my RX high above. Never got a drop on it. See the smug look on this guy’s face as he watched me struggle & never lifted a hand to help me? 😡 I got to my feet (finally) & kept shooting him.

and this 

2R46X12.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue

On 24/08/2023 at 16:55, Addict said:

I’m still using my original Sony rx100. Thinking of a newer model. Maybe the 3 model. Are the lens on all the models just as sharp or sharper? Who is using the 7? Opinion? Expensive. Probably more than I need? What do you think is the best for stock without going overboard with features? Best zoom? 

thanks

I use the the MK 7, bought it at the start of Covid lockdown as a pocketable inconspicuous camera. Its downside is the slower lens aperture compared to earlier models, but it copes. Now it's generally used to photograph the unexpected. Images from it licence via Alamy. Last was the local junior doctors strike picket. Have also shot just video with it, mainly at family gatherings. Have an external mic and Crane gimbal for it, but they don't get a lot of use. Will be taking it out later today for a walk around Henley. As long as you work within its limitations it's great, as no substitute for my D750's and D500's, especially at higher iso's. 

If you click on my port numbers, almost all those images were taken with one of the RX100 Sonys. I now have a RX100/5, a 6, and a 7. Once in a while, I use an A6000 with the 10-18 zoom. Are the newer models better? Of course. But I don't see that the lenses are sharper -- the original RX100 was sharp. If your zoom is not sharp, you've got a lemon. I prefer the extra reach with the 24-120. With iSO and all the tools in Adobe CC, I handhold most everything. The 7 has better and faster autofocus. What else? Hmm. I have a 5-star rating with Alamy QC. 

If you're looking for a used MK, I suggest MPB. I've traded, bought, and sold with them in the UK and at their office in NYC. A terrific company in my dealings.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=UK|Google|Buy|Pmax|New|Pmax|All|All|UK&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6KunBhDxARIsAKFUGs8kphOFFLsn95zGVmhB9FrzcI_gOMYdnpHc1qrCh60PGVn7NvPtbboaAg5MEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

If you click on my port numbers, almost all those images were taken with one of the RX100 Sonys. I now have a RX100/5, a 6, and a 7. Once in a while, I use an A6000 with the 10-18 zoom. Are the newer models better? Of course. But I don't see that the lenses are sharper -- the original RX100 was sharp. If your zoom is not sharp, you've got a lemon. I prefer the extra reach with the 24-120. With iSO and all the tools in Adobe CC, I handhold most everything. The 7 has better and faster autofocus. What else? Hmm. I have a 5-star rating with Alamy QC. 

If you're looking for a used MK, I suggest MPB. I've traded, bought, and sold with them in the UK and at their office in NYC. A terrific company in my dealings.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=UK|Google|Buy|Pmax|New|Pmax|All|All|UK&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6KunBhDxARIsAKFUGs8kphOFFLsn95zGVmhB9FrzcI_gOMYdnpHc1qrCh60PGVn7NvPtbboaAg5MEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

You certainly have quite an RX100 wardrobe, Edo. Aren't the 6 and 7 pretty much the same? The specs look very similar.

my vague plan:
to replace my ~2018 RX10 IV
(simply because its 5+ yrs old)
with either RX10 V or RX100 VIII
whichever introduced first...
(if ever) 🙏🏼_ 🙏🏼_ 🙏🏼
a question for RX100 owners
if willing because its personal
do you have any degree of
tremor in your hand(s) & can
such a small camera's image
stabilization really cancel it...?
slowest hand-held shutter speed?
thanks in advance...

John: The RX100/7 has a faster more accurate autofocus.

Jeff: In fact, I have suffered since childhood with a chronic ailment called essential tremor. But . . . it has never affected my handholding a camera, not any Sony digitals with IS nor my original Nikon F. ???

Darrell Gulin developed an essential tremor and it was alarmingly apparent when he was leading a tour I took in 2015. It hadn't been apparent six years earlier. It somehow did not happen when he was shooting. It is an interesting fact.

Paulette

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

it has never affected my handholding a camera

EdR thanks for response
but if willing to say
how can one have tremor-shake
& at same time state it does not
cause camera shake???
is it mentally controlled?
is it never shooting slow shutter speeds?

IMC, tremor appeared as mature adult;
reduced by medication 😍_ 😍_ 😍
IMC, some control by shooting ≥ 1/60 sec...
  • Like 1

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems, Jeff.

Medical problems can and do affect different people in different ways. It's a subject that does not work well in type, not for me anyway.

We have a steady stream of tourists here in Beatles Town. I see people with cameras on the street every day. Almost all carry the camera wrong and hold it wrong. They have the lens hood on backward and the lens pointed out. When shooting, they lean forward and extend their arms. I lean back a touch with the camera centered over my body. 

I was a guitar player and before that a trumpet player. I've had tremor problems with both. At a table, if I reach out to lift a glass of wine with my right hand, I would probably shake it all over. With my left hand, maybe not. But I use both hands to lift glasses or cups. 

Usually, I have my camera set on Aperture and ISO auto from 125 to 1650. With all the tools in Adobe CC, I'm not worried about sharpness, focus, or noise. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
EdR thanks for response
but if willing to say
how can one have tremor-shake
& at same time state it does not
cause camera shake???
is it mentally controlled?
is it never shooting slow shutter speeds?

IMC, tremor appeared as mature adult;
reduced by medication 😍_ 😍_ 😍
IMC, some control by shooting ≥ 1/60 sec...

Jeff, have you and your doctor(s) discussed the idea of Deep Brain Stimulation, it is one way to reduce or eliminate tremors,  I photographed the procedure at Georgetown University Hospital some 15 years or more and I hear it has a high success rate.

A2JGAX.jpg

Here is more about it on Wikipidia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_brain_stimulation

MikeyV, EddieR

Thanks for tips.  👍_ 👍_ 👍
I would describe it as an annoyance;
Sometimes I take ~3 exposures to "guarantee" one sharp;
neurologist mentioned operation but didn't promote because
with brain & unintended consequences -- but I could...
am not sure how EdR lean-back-centered-camera helps??
either EdR right hand shakes or isn't at any given moment...
its an odd thing -- thinking of hand stops it temporarily...
but can't think of hand & composition at same time...
Primidone+Propanolol eliminated left hand shake !!
doctor says it levels out & could even fade over time...
picking up full coffee cups -- try looking at arm, not hand...

Spain itinerary approaching -- if you notice someone
in cafe constantly tapping right pointing finger on
table -- that's me & how ET manifests !!

Wow - thank you all for the detailed replies! I have ulnar neuropathy so can shake. I often use the 10 second timer on the rx100 so im not pressing the shutter button and shaking or movement. helps with positioning as well ie making sure camera pointed where i want it. I thing ill try for a new or slightly used III. I have a canon 6D and L lenses but quite frankly i find the sony quite good enough except for my work with a 150-600 tele of course. At 71 yr old i like the freedom of a pocket camera.

Edited by Addict

17 hours ago, Addict said:

Wow - thank you all for the detailed replies! I have ulnar neuropathy so can shake. I often use the 10 second timer on the rx100 so im not pressing the shutter button and shaking or movement. helps with positioning as well ie making sure camera pointed where i want it. I thing ill try for a new or slightly used III. I have a canon 6D and L lenses but quite frankly i find the sony quite good enough except for my work with a 150-600 tele of course. At 71 yr old i like the freedom of a pocket camera.

Just wondering, what do you find the main drawback is with the original RX100? Being on a tight budget, I've actually thought of buying one as they can be had for less than $300 CAN now, whereas the iii is much more expensive and increasingly difficult to find, new and used.