is Google Lens part of your workflow?  any tricks?

22 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, Huawei phones do seem to be available in Canada. Shall keep them in mind. I currently have an Alcatel, which was cheap but fast and full-featured. However, as mentioned, the camera is basic. Also, the screen resolution is not so hot outdoors. Just tried Google Lens (via Google Photos) on a flower that I've been trying to identify. Lens nailed it straightaway. Cool. I'm thinking of upgrading to a Samsung as well one of these years.

I have an elderly Huawei phone that was cheap but does all I need, including Google Lens. When we came to buy a new phone for my wife we splashed out on a Motorola with a bigger screen and a posh camera etc.  However,  it's nothing like as user friendly as the Huawei,  I'll be sad when my phone eventually needs to be replaced, assuming that I outlast it !

Edited by Bryan

49 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I have an elderly Huawei phone that was cheap but does all I need, including Google Lens. When we came to buy a new phone for my wife we splashed out on a Motorola with a bigger screen and a posh camera etc.  However,  it's nothing like as user friendly as the Huawei,  I'll be sad when my phone eventually needs to be replaced, assuming that I outlast it !

I miss my little Nokia dumb fone. At least it fit in my pocket comfortably, and it prevented me from becoming a screen zombie. Canada has a rocky relationship with Huawei and has banned their equipment from 5G networks. However, Huawei phones apparently continue to work here. What is the camera like in your Huawei? How about screen visibility outdoors, is it usable in bright sunlight? I have to hide in the shade with my Alcatel, but it cost me less than $100 CAN on sale, so I can't complain really.

7 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Just tried on my IOS 15.7.7 iPhone 7. The feature's not there, so I guess my phone is too old. I'll just have to stick with the Seek app.

Mark

Sorry about that. I looked up Google lens for iPhone, read reviews. There were a few alarming posts about Google tracking your every move through it. Then another link told me about the iPhone feature that came with my phone. I tried it & was very pleased.

There will be a couple of new iPhones launched in September. The top one, I know, has 48 mp, & I think a zoom lens X10.
The new phones will have a USB connection instead of lightning. I will enjoy that should I ever get one, because my new iPad Pro has it. It’s always nice to be able to charge both devices with the same connector.

Edited by Betty LaRue

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I miss my little Nokia dumb fone. At least it fit in my pocket comfortably, and it prevented me from becoming a screen zombie. Canada has a rocky relationship with Huawei and has banned their equipment from 5G networks. However, Huawei phones apparently continue to work here. What is the camera like in your Huawei? How about screen visibility outdoors, is it usable in bright sunlight? I have to hide in the shade with my Alcatel, but it cost me less than $100 CAN on sale, so I can't complain really.

I've not had any problems with the phone or camera John, but this was my first smart phone so I am a relatively inexperienced user and  have only my wife's phone to compare with. My only quibble with the camera is that there is no inbuilt software to downsize images for ease of transmission, but the Motorola doesn't have that either. I use a third party App that is polluted by adverts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Just tried on my IOS 15.7.7 iPhone 7. The feature's not there, so I guess my phone is too old. I'll just have to stick with the Seek app.

Just looked on my 2016 SE, also 15.7.7 and I have it as an option on my Google search screen, invites me to search on a picture on my camera roll. I used it on a photo of a plant that’s rather taking over our pond, rather disappointed to find that it’s a weed, a Pickerell weed in fact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

Just looked on my 2016 SE, also 15.7.7 and I have it as an option on my Google search screen, invites me to search on a picture on my camera roll. I used it on a photo of a plant that’s rather taking over our pond, rather disappointed to find that it’s a weed, a Pickerell weed in fact.

You must feel blessed.

Jim Pickerell the famous author of Negotiating Stock Photo Prices gave his name to a weed? Or the other way around maybe?

It looks like a nice garden plant. Which it is in our part of the world. It is a weed native plant from Canada to Argentina. Chances are that you or your predecessor gardener had to pay for it. Some seem to be a lovely color blue, then again it may be that it's just the stock photos that are this color.

Pickerelweed Pontederia cordata - Stock Image    Pickerelweed - Stock Image

(612 images here on Alamy for Pontederia cordata : 608 for Pickerel weed and 559 for Pickerelweed)

😁

wim

• Love 1

6 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Jim Pickerell the famous author of Negotiating Stock Photo Prices gave his name to a weed?

Well auto-correct seems to have heard of him anyway. I didn't feel particularly blessed when I tried to reduce it in size a couple of years ago, it has become its own private island extending downwards as well as sideways. It is beautiful though, especially now the flowers are out but before the leaf tips turn brown and the speckling appears, the dragonflies and other insects love it as well. I've photographed it before but didn't get round to uploading them and I'll do so again today but I suspect that the only way to make any money out of it would be to sell chunks of it off at the garden gate.

Still, Google Lens worked very well so I'm going to try it out on a lot of other hitherto unknown plants, how will it cope with leaves alone I wonder.

• Love 1

19 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Mark

You and me both, below 8 and we're stuck on IOS 15.

16 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Ah, that works. I was using Brave as a Browser on my iPhone to visit Google and the option isn't there (Brave may have blocked it). But if I open the Google app on my iPhone 7 it works, even without signing in to my Google account. I'd not tried Google lens before. It's extraordinary. I point my phone's camera at an item, click the shutter and a few moments later it tells me what it is.... and where to buy it....

Mark

44 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

It's extraordinary. I point my phone's camera at an item, click the shutter and a few moments later it tells me what it is.... and where to buy it....

The acceptable face of AI? Seems to have identified my mystery sapling with not very much to go on at all, a good starting point at the very least.

• Like 1