Looking at the Sony a6400 as another possible camera if/when I have money

The complaints against it are that it's not a good video camera and that the menus are a mess (I'm used to Sony menus by now), and the image sensor isn't better than the one in the a6000.   B&H also doesn't have any used for sale (I saw something like three or so of the Batis 18mm), which is another a good sign.  I look at the one star and two star reviews first.   One reviewer tried to use the a6400 as an underwater camera so, yeah.  My use case for the a6XXX series cameras is continuing to be able to use the Sony/Zeiss 24mm lens for APSC.  IBS is not a draw for me since seeing YouTube videos on how to fix that problem by smacking the camera, so I'm fine with something that doesn't have it.   I have a good enough tripod and I have studio lights for still lifes.  

The two a7 cameras:  I bought the first one as a used camera in February 2016, so, whatever life it had before then plus the six years I had it.  I bought the second a7 from Adorama in November 2017, so I had about the same amount of time with it.  I bought the a6000 in June 2014 and the only thing that's broken is the pop-up flash, which is not a bit deal.  So, it's on its 9th year.  The a3000 in my friend's hands is 9 or 10 years old.   I'm beginning to think things made for the Latin American market are better constructed than things meant to sell to richer countries.  The a3000 is a very strange plastic camera, but still appears to be working.  I'm not sure that the a7 series isn't set up for planned obsolescence even though my sample is small.   Have no idea how much longer the Panasonic Micro Four Thirds GF1 would have lasted if the research biologist that I gave it to didn't drop it in the Atlantic.

The Tin House site is full of wonderful articles.  Thanks to whoever pointed us to it.

Loving my Sony a6500, not so much the Sony lenses.

The kit lens suffered mechanical failure and was pronounced unrepairable, my 55-210 was very soft new and not much better after a trip back to see its maker. I splashed out on a Zeiss badged zoom, but that was incredibly disappointing, so was returned. Maybe I have been very unlucky?

The only Sony lens that I regularly use is a second hand 20mm 2.8, it's not much use wide open but is good stopped down. 

Meanwhile my collection of ancient ex film camera lenses by Pentax and Olympus provide corner to corner sharp shots and are very robust.  A case in point, a used 75-150 f4 Pentax f4 cost me £15 and is infinitely better than the £800 Zeiss that I tried. Ok you have to manually focus and tell the camera what focal length you are using, but I quite enjoy working in this way.  Horses for courses I guess.

• Thanks 1

I have two A6500 bodies.  One with the Sony 18 - 135mm lens and am happy with this lens. The second body had the Sony 10 - 18mm lens mounted and I was never really happy with that lens as it was not sharp at the wide end and images had to be cropped losing a lot of width and height making the 10mm useless. BTW Edo likes his 10 - 18mm so he must have a good one.  I sold the Sony 10 - 18 and bought a Tamron 11 - 18mm   20mm which is for the Sony cropped frame cameras and am happy with it. much better than the Sony I had.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
sorry should be 11 - 20mm NOT 11 - 18mm
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

Loving my Sony a6500, not so much the Sony lenses.

Meanwhile my collection of ancient ex film camera lenses by Pentax and Olympus provide corner to corner sharp shots and are very robust.  A case in point, a used 75-150 f4 Pentax f4 cost me £15 and is infinitely better than the £800 Zeiss that I tried. Ok you have to manually focus and tell the camera what focal length you are using, but I quite enjoy working in this way.  Horses for courses I guess.

I got the Yashinon back.  I also have a old 105mm, f/2.5 second design Nikkor which my brother gave me. 

My Sony lenses have been decent enough.  My copy of the 55-210mm I have seems to do better at close focus.  I took all my photos in Mexico with the Sony/Zeiss 24mm.

The 55mm S/Z copy I have seems good, so far.  Lens Rentals reported some auto focus failures in early copies due to a glue failure in the auto focus mechanism, but said later copies seemed to be more robust.  

I’m going to finish uploading older photos, then archive those and start a new LightRoom catalogue for newer work.

The AI noise reduction on LR and whatever the latest noise reduction in DxO is amazing for reducing noise without turning everything into plastic.

1 hour ago, Rebecca Ore said:

I got the Yashinon back.  I also have a old 105mm, f/2.5 second design Nikkor which my brother gave me. 

My Sony lenses have been decent enough.  My copy of the 55-210mm I have seems to do better at close focus.  I took all my photos in Mexico with the Sony/Zeiss 24mm.

The 55mm S/Z copy I have seems good, so far.  Lens Rentals reported some auto focus failures in early copies due to a glue failure in the auto focus mechanism, but said later copies seemed to be more robust.  

I’m going to finish uploading older photos, then archive those and start a new LightRoom catalogue for newer work.

The AI noise reduction on LR and whatever the latest noise reduction in DxO is amazing for reducing noise without turning everything into plastic.

One thing I learned with Sony lenses (zooms) is that they always seemed to be blurred (OOF) when wound right out to max zoom. I found that by bringing the lens back in a bit it became sharp again.

Allan

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

My original copy of the Sony 55-210, which I was never too happy with, developed fungus, so I had to ditch it. I found another, newer version, in pristine condition used for $250 CAN. It's like a totally different lens, sharp throughout its entire range. The new lens also feels more solidly constructed than my old one. Go figure. 🙄

16 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

My original copy of the Sony 55-210, which I was never too happy with, developed fungus, so I had to ditch it. I found another, newer version, in pristine condition used for $250 CAN. It's like a totally different lens, sharp throughout its entire range. The new lens also feels more solidly constructed than my old one. Go figure. 🙄

John, can I have your time travel machine please.

8 minutes ago, Steve F said:

John, can I have your time travel machine please.

Sure, but you probably don't need it. My new profile pic is me over 35 years ago. Current selfies are too gruesome to share with the public. I believe it's called vanity... 👴

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

My new profile pic is me over 35 years ago.

oh come on man, why has Alamy allowed
Carl Wilson of The Beach Boys
to take over Johnny's account.
Also, I thought Carl Wilson was dead...

"I wish they all could be California girls"

WEX has just announced the new Sony A6700 for pre order at £1,449 body only. Specs below. (If I can get them on here)

Sony has packed their most successful tech to date into one compact, next-generation APS-C camera - the Sony A6700. This camera combines the advanced innovations of its full-frame and vlogging ranges including a 26MP back-illuminated Exmore R CMOS Sensor, a BIONZ XR Processing Engine, and Sony’s next-gen AI unit; all of which culminates in an incredibly versatile and user-friendly body.

s.gif
Sony A6700

Product Specification:

A 26MP Exmor R CMOS Sensor

BIONZ XR Processing Engine  

Up to 5.0-stops of image stabilisation

120p 4K recording for up to 5x slow motion

11fps continuous shooting with AF/AE tracking

Super 35mm 6K oversampling 4K video

2 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

WEX has just announced the new Sony A6700 for pre order at £1,449 body only. Specs below. (If I can get them on here)

Sony has packed their most successful tech to date into one compact, next-generation APS-C camera - the Sony A6700. This camera combines the advanced innovations of its full-frame and vlogging ranges including a 26MP back-illuminated Exmore R CMOS Sensor, a BIONZ XR Processing Engine, and Sony’s next-gen AI unit; all of which culminates in an incredibly versatile and user-friendly body.

s.gif
Sony A6700

Product Specification:

I've always considered IBS something that could go wrong.  Seeing the how to smack the sensor back into place YouTube video (for Sony Cameras) I'm even more nope nope.   I can use a tripod.   I don't do video.  And 2 MP more than the a6000, which is still working minus the pop-up flash.

My thinking is that Sony full frames look like from my sample of two that they live for six years.   My ideal would be something with 36 or 40 something MP and a really nice macro lens, but that purchase will depend on the novel in progress selling.

Interesting that the APSC cameras are being marketed as video and vlogging cameras. 

If the a3000 is still around, I can pick one of those up for around $400 US in Latin America, more or less.

6 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
oh come on man, why has Alamy allowed
Carl Wilson of The Beach Boys
to take over Johnny's account.
Also, I thought Carl Wilson was dead...

"I wish they all could be California girls"

Can't say I was ever a big Beach Boys fan. They did have some catchy tunes, though. 🏄‍♂️

My time machine is in the garage for repairs at the moment. When it's fixed, I'll try to come up with something more recent.

17 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

I've always considered IBS something that could go wrong.  Seeing the how to smack the sensor back into place YouTube video (for Sony Cameras) I'm even more nope nope.   I can use a tripod.   I don't do video.  And 2 MP more than the a6000, which is still working minus the pop-up flash.

My thinking is that Sony full frames look like from my sample of two that they live for six years.   My ideal would be something with 36 or 40 something MP and a really nice macro lens, but that purchase will depend on the novel in progress selling.

Interesting that the APSC cameras are being marketed as video and vlogging cameras. 

If the a3000 is still around, I can pick one of those up for around $400 US in Latin America, more or less.

I have never heard of that action having to be taken and have never had to take such an action with any of me IBS camera bodies.

Allan

22 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

s.gif
Sony A6700

Product Specification:

Looks nice, but too expensive to change. I've recently switched back to APS-C with 2 low shutter count used Nikon D500 bodies, they are a pleasure to use, their ergonomics are great. 3 lenses cover 15mm to 450mm. Best of all my back pack is so much lighter. I still have my D750's and a good range of lenses, but when all are taken out I come back home with some back ache.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Looks nice, but too expensive to change. I've recently switched back to APS-C with 2 low shutter count used Nikon D500 bodies, they are a pleasure to use, their ergonomics are great. 3 lenses cover 15mm to 450mm. Best of all my back pack is so much lighter. I still have my D750's and a good range of lenses, but when all are taken out I come back home with some back ache.

I have seen and hefted your backpack and it does not surprise me you get back ache.

Allan

21 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Can't say I was ever a big Beach Boys fan.

Carl Wilson, stop the charade;
its obvious you've seized Johnny Boy's account;

Carl, can you come to my birthday party next year
and sing me "Happy Birthday"?
Bring Mick Jagger, won't you, and sing harmony.
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
Carl Wilson, stop the charade;
its obvious you've seized Johnny Boy's account;

Carl, can you come to my birthday party next year
and sing me "Happy Birthday"?
Bring Mick Jagger, won't you, and sing harmony.

I'm sure that Carl will send you good vibrations on your birthday, Jeff.

3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm sure that Carl will send you good vibrations on your birthday, Jeff.

Knowing what I know now and with what I have learnt during my lifetime to date I would like a time machine and go back many years.

Why?  Because I would be the sole owner of the world. No! The world is enough I couldn't manage the universe without help.

Allan

7 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I have never heard of that action having to be taken and have never had to take such an action with any of me IBS camera bodies.

Allan

Having had two Sony cameras die on me at the six year mark, I'm going to see how long my a6000 lasts.   Shrug.   I'm 75 so probably this shouldn't matter, but the a6400 looks decent enough.  The other option would be to ask my brother to see if he can find a decent used a6000 before he comes down in November.  It does sound like the a6400 has some improvements over the a6000 though.  Didn't see any used a6400s for sale at B&H, which I'm beginning to see as a good sign. 

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I have seen and hefted your backpack and it does not surprise me you get back ache.

Allan

It's a little heavier now. since I added a Nikon 80-400mm lens, that's my heaviest.

1 hour ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Having had two Sony cameras die on me at the six year mark, I'm going to see how long my a6000 lasts.   Shrug.   I'm 75 so probably this shouldn't matter, but the a6400 looks decent enough.  The other option would be to ask my brother to see if he can find a decent used a6000 before he comes down in November.  It does sound like the a6400 has some improvements over the a6000 though.  Didn't see any used a6400s for sale at B&H, which I'm beginning to see as a good sign. 

My original Sony NEX-3 that I bought used in 2012 still works fine, so does my NEX-6. Both have paid for themselves many times over. I've had the a6000 for several years now, and it has been 100% reliable. Of course anything can happen at any time with complicated electronics. Best of luck.

• Thanks 1

On 13/07/2023 at 18:53, John Mitchell said:

My original Sony NEX-3 that I bought used in 2012 still works fine, so does my NEX-6. Both have paid for themselves many times over. I've had the a6000 for several years now, and it has been 100% reliable. Of course anything can happen at any time with complicated electronics. Best of luck.

You must be a very careful owner John, my NEX camera died some time ago while it cost me dear to have my RX fixed after dropping it. My current a6500 appears to be OK but carries battle scars.  Not sure that it would be worth forking out for an a6700 should my a6500 fail, diminishing returns from stock make me wary over future investment. Long gone are the days when a single sale would pay for a new lens etc.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

You must be a very careful owner John, my NEX camera died some time ago while it cost me dear to have my RX fixed after dropping it. My current a6500 appears to be OK but carries battle scars.  Not sure that it would be worth forking out for an a6700 should my a6500 fail, diminishing returns from stock make me wary over future investment. Long gone are the days when a single sale would pay for a new lens etc.

Costing me dear to have my RX fixed as well through Fixation. I did not drop it the fault was built in from new. It was sent to Sony to repair it under warranty and seemed reasonably better. When on holiday in May/June it really showed up the fault again to the extent that all images taken at the extreme wide end of zoom, and some at different focal lengths, had to be scraped.

Just hope Fixation do a better job with the repair than Sony did.

Allan

8 hours ago, Bryan said:

The screen on the NEX-3 is pretty scratched up. But yes, I do tend to pamper my cameras and lenses. It's all part of being a parsimonious sort. 😄