US Road Trip - ideas?

Hi all,

My wife and I are doing a road trip in July-August and interested if anybody has some must photograph/must see ideas en route.

We have been to all the locations before other than Bryce Canyon and surroundings. (some a while ago, and little on Alamy)

We particularly like quirky things (factory or brewery tours, Missile silos, architecture esp modernist/art deco, transport museums, large structures and high buildings etc - yes we are not beach babes!)

LA  (5 days) > Bryce Canyon (1 night each at Overton NV, Hurricane, Cedar City (2) and Tropic UT. > Flagstaff (2), Sedona (3) > Route 66 via Kingman (2) > Palm Springs (4)

Any thoughts however random, are welcome,

Cheers

HUGH

2J608P7.jpg

• Like 1

atlasobscura.com is very good guide of local culture. A lesser known website which I haven't used in a long time it is roadsideamerica.com is nowhere near as comprehensive as atlas obscura 

• Like 2

It's all here...

Well if you ever plan to motor west
Travel my way, take the highway that's the best
Get your kicks on Route 66
Well it winds from Chicago to L.A.
More than two thousand miles all the way
Well it goes to St. Louis, down to Missouri
Oklahoma City looks so, so pretty
You'll see Amarillo, Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona, don't forget Wynonna
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernardino
You get hip to this kind of tip
And go take that California trip
Well it goes to St. Louis, down to Missouri
Oklahoma City looks so, so pretty
You'll see Amarillo, Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona, don't forget Wynonna
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernardino
If you get hip to this kind of tip
And go take that California trip
  • Love 2

53 minutes ago, sooth said:

atlasobscura.com is very good guide of local culture. A lesser known website which I haven't used in a long time it is roadsideamerica.com is nowhere near as comprehensive as atlas obscura 

They licensed this pic of mine from Alamy

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/history-of-libations-on-graves

But most seem to come from Public Domain/Creative Commons

Isn't this the sort of market that Alamy should be developing??

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1

+1 for the Atlas Obscura. (They have used some of mine in the past via Alamy.)

Google googie architecture. Covering that would keep you busy for weeks.

Googie in LA.

Not architecture, but make sure you go to Overton through the Valley of Fire State Park.

The current situation around Lake Mead could keep you occupied for days as well.

In Sedona the Chapel of the Holy Cross obviously.

Large structures: the dams: Hoover; Glen Canyon with their bridges.

The interstates are the same everywhere, so I'm guessing you will try to take the back roads as much as possible.

wim

1 hour ago, sooth said:

great  thanks

11 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

+1 for the Atlas Obscura. (They have used some of mine in the past via Alamy.)

Google googie architecture. Covering that would keep you busy for weeks.

Googie in LA.

Not architecture, but make sure you go to Overton through the Valley of Fire State Park.

The current situation around Lake Mead could keep you occupied for days as well.

In Sedona the Chapel of the Holy Cross obviously.

Large structures: the dams: Hoover; Glen Canyon with their bridges.

The interstates are the same everywhere, so I'm guessing you will try to take the back roads as much as possible.

wim

Thanks Wim. Have done the Hoover dam and Chapel (but pre Alamy). Googie stuff is a good call, seen Randy's Donuts but again just snapped it back in the day. Will check the link out :)

If you have time while you are visiting Kingman, consider going up to Oatman. I chose Oatman as I had only time to do one or the other, though I wish I could have done both. It's a near ghost town that prospered during the gold rush. While you are in California, check out Joshua Tree NP if you have time, the view from Keys View at the top over the Coachella Valley is quite something. Again if you have time a trip into the Mojave National Preserve at the Kelso Dunes is well worth it. I only managed to get around 1/3 of the way up the largest living dune, but the view is still something I'll never forget, and I was lucky enough to catch it just as the sun was setting.

• Love 1

34 minutes ago, Cal said:

If you have time while you are visiting Kingman, consider going up to Oatman. I chose Oatman as I had only time to do one or the other, though I wish I could have done both. It's a near ghost town that prospered during the gold rush. While you are in California, check out Joshua Tree NP if you have time, the view from Keys View at the top over the Coachella Valley is quite something. Again if you have time a trip into the Mojave National Preserve at the Kelso Dunes is well worth it. I only managed to get around 1/3 of the way up the largest living dune, but the view is still something I'll never forget, and I was lucky enough to catch it just as the sun was setting.

Great thanks (Oatman has the burros doesnt it? )

If you've not seen the Grand Canyon, make at least one stop to view it from one lookout. I'm sure there are thousands of images, so just make a quick stop to treat your eyes. The Painted Desert, Meteor Crater & Petrified Forest is nearby…read up & see if it floats your boat, or is worth stopping for.

Calico Ghost town, Yerba, California, an old silver mining town.

Lots of wineries in California. Also Northern California has the majestic Sequoia trees that are otherworldly. I loved that forest. Don’t know if the giant tree we drove our car through still stands, it’s been years since we were there.

Bombing Memorial, Oklahoma City. Route 66 takes you close. Famous Skirvin Hotel in Oklahoma City, rumored to be haunted…NBA basketball team said they encountered ghosts & refuse to stay there again, nice architecture. I took pictures inside & it’s beautiful in there. I wasn’t obvious, though. Nobody knew I was doing it with my RX100-3.
Round barn in nearby Arcadia, Oklahoma On route 66.

POPs on rte 66, Arcadia, Oklahoma. 66 foot tall soda bottle out front & hundreds of soda varieties inside. Arcadia is just east of Oklahoma City, a bit north.

Inside the front door of The Skirvin:

JEM8K2.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1