Setting the White Balance in LIghtroom?

I used to take the time to set the white balance in LIghtroom manually by finding a neutral item in the photo to set it on but now I do it automatically by stipulating daylight, cloudy, fluorescent etc. I can't see that much difference. Do people still bother setting WB manually in LIghtroom? Thanks 🙂

• Like 1

I click on auto just as a comparison with the 'as shot' selection. But I almost always move the slider manually until it looks right. Hopefully with a calibrated screen and an artist's eye, it works out ok! I often end up somewhere with a white balance halfway(ish) between the as shot and auto setting. I'm aware that the Sony A7iii shoots more towards the blue end.

Edited by Steve F
  • Like 1

As Martin says "Auto" in LR can be a bit random. I don't use it but that's because I tend to use AWB in camera and this defaults to "As Shot" in LR. It's usually very close in daylight but can go off quite a bit in the evening. I've just had a bit of trouble with the Douglas harbour wall. Artificial light usually needs more attention from the eyedropper.

Of course in RAW it's all notional as you can change WB ad lib, but getting it right OOC saves time and helps with your consistency.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

A lot depends on which color setting I'm using - the Sony Camera Clear, etc tend to be a little cooler so I'll usually move the slider a little to warm them up. When I use one of the Modern settings, which I like for certain types of images, especially architecture and cityscapes, they are more neutral and might end up somewhere between as shot & auto. Adobe Landscape, probably my most used color setting, tends to be the closest to "as shot," particularly for daylight shots (and hitting "daylight" is often very close if not identical)

For sunsets, I might tweak it more toward the warmer end, same with fall color. And of course if I'm using a photo as the base for a digitally altered image, there are many possibilities. I sometimes make my some of my beach scenes a little more toward the aqua end (for sky and water) to give them variety. That slightly old photo aesthetic, especially if they are for fine art. 

Since similarly shot images are side by side, it's worth tweaking to get it as close to perfect as possible, then sync those setting for the rest (which could need additional tweaks). 

Landscape and travel images are easy since there's more room for artistic license. Skins tones are often a fair amount of work. I have a good lab and they'll do color correction if requested. For people photos, even if I get it right, I tick yes please to be sure. Landscapes I also tick no thanks since I'm confident in my color choices whether I'm going for a natural look or for something with a little more pop. A lot depends on the end use. 

Edited by Marianne
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Steve F said:

I often end up somewhere with a white balance halfway(ish) between the as shot and auto setting. I'm aware that the Sony A7iii shoots more towards the blue end.

Me too. I tend to use the daylight/cloudy/Auto setting a bit too much and then run through all the other sliders to tweak. The Auto WB by itself tends to leave everything very soft, washed out and can't normally be relied upon to give anything near a correct exposure/colour balance. My question should have been better worded. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jansos said:

Me too. I tend to use the daylight/cloudy/Auto setting a bit too much and then run through all the other sliders to tweak. The Auto WB by itself tends to leave everything very soft, washed out and can't normally be relied upon to give anything near a correct exposure/colour balance. My question should have been better worded. 

I don't tend to worry too much about the in camera white balance setting too much because I can edit in in LR afterwards. I almost always leave it on Auto unless I'm shooting indoors under e.g. tungsten lighting.

• Like 2

Not over keen on LR Auto, it often errs on the side of excessive warmth.  While my cameras are set for auto white balance I often find that I need to adjust the outcome, sometimes using the Daylight setting In LR or by  picking a grey tone with the eyedropper. Using manual focus lenses may throw the camera's auto settings I guess, certainly the exposure as well as WB often needs a tweak.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 2