Is the Cloud damaging the Planet

Panorama

Is the Cloud Damaging the Planet?

We all love the cloud. It stores our pictures and emails, it powers our internet searches, and it helps us stream movies and box sets. But out of sight, the cloud depends on processing factories - vast data centres that use enormous amounts of power and water. Every time we go online, we increase its carbon footprint. Richard Bilton investigates the growing environmental problem we’re all responsible for

The programme is probably only available in UK though the issue affects everybody?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001hzb3/panorama-is-the-cloud-damaging-the-planet

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1

The word 'Cloud' really is misleading isn't it! 

I wonder what Alamy can do to mitigate the storage of its ever growing collection of over 320 million images.

It is obvious that things have to change - there is no point everything being stored for ever and ever - every email, every snapshot, every comment.

The only way will be to introduce limits and disincentives ie) charges and costs

Could that be a challenge, even a threat to Alamy?

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

I never liked the idea of the cloud. That is why I have my own cloud,  ie  backups on a daily basis.

Does not use water and only minimal electric which I pay for. ie  I do not store my images and whatever for free on iCloud.

Allan

26 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I never liked the idea of the cloud. That is why I have my own cloud,  ie  backups on a daily basis.

Does not use water and only minimal electric which I pay for. ie  I do not store my images and whatever for free on iCloud.

Allan

You don't use a smartphone, then? Er, of course your Alamy port is online as well. Can't avoid it.

I would expect the environmental impact of your own hardware (manufacture and maintenance) is much greater than the equivalent cloud storage.

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Panorama

Is the Cloud Damaging the Planet?

We all love the cloud. It stores our pictures and emails, it powers our internet searches, and it helps us stream movies and box sets. But out of sight, the cloud depends on processing factories - vast data centres that use enormous amounts of power and water. Every time we go online, we increase its carbon footprint. Richard Bilton investigates the growing environmental problem we’re all responsible for

The programme is probably only available in UK though the issue affects everybody?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001hzb3/panorama-is-the-cloud-damaging-the-planet

I was left wondering about the other side of the equation which was largely unmentioned. If I stream a movie from the cloud instead of buying DVD what is the net effect? How do the energy costs of producing and shipping a DVD compare with the costs of hosting a copy of the movie online that can be accessed by thousands of potential viewers?

But I do agree that the current approach is too wasteful. Why do folks store everything when much of it's junk? Charging for Cloud storage should be mandatory.

Mark

29 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

It is- it's just paid for by the likes of Google and not directly by their users.

Yes - and that's part of the problem. IMO users should pay directly, in proportion to the GB of Cloud storage used.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

There is also the matter of the blockchain, crypto, NFTs, Bitcoin. etc. and I suppose the proposed digital currency announced in the UK last week. Huge amounts of processing power are needed to provide the  unique certificates for these types of transactions. This was one of the main criticisms of the various NFT Ponzi schemes last year and some have moved to the less damaging 'Proof of Stake' from the hugely damaging 'Proof of Work' to counter at least one of the criticisms.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

Yes - and that's part of the problem. IMO users should pay directly, in proportion to the GB of Cloud storage used.

Mark

At Alamy? - should we be paying for storage?

That would be a new ball-game!

Edited by geogphotos

14 hours ago, geogphotos said:

At Alamy? - should we be paying for storage?

That would be a new ball-game!

Good point, I suppose we pay indirectly if we make a sale (via the commission Alamy takes). But the amount we pay is based on sales and not the storage required. Maybe if we had to pay for storage it would reduce the "cruft" on Alamy? I wonder what proportion of the 300 million images here are never going to sell, and how many are duplicates?

On the other hand, because I can't use Alamy as storage (e.g. backup etc.) perhaps it should be regarded as Alamy's storage, not mine, which they do pay for directly. But Alamy seem to have no desire to reduce the storage as they seek to add more and more images and sell them for lower and lower prices...

Mark

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I would expect the environmental impact of your own hardware (manufacture and maintenance) is much greater than the equivalent cloud storage.

That is exactly what I thought when I watched the programme. I've always tried to avoid the cloud, not because of storage costs but because I want control of my own data. I fetch and read all emails on my computer, I store and back up all my data, photographs, music etc locally, I only use a smartphone once a year when I'm on holiday. The environmental cost of running three computers (one 24/7, one 16/7 and the other intermittently) must surely be greater than my share of the cloud would be, but on the other hand I would be running the computers anyway.

I do stream a lot though. When you have fibre to the premises it seems silly not to get maximum advantage from it. But it's all going to be stored on the cloud anyway whether I stream it or not.

Alan