Amazon Prime Photo Storage

Stephen Lloyd

Hi - I am curious if anyone is using Amazon Prime for storage? I use WD EX2 Ultra NSs devices to store all my RAWs, and a second EX2 Ultra as back up - as far apart as I can from the originals within my property. A have a couple of pairs. Amazon say Prime users get "unlimited photo storage" but not video (chargeable) and obviously not files. One of my EX2 Ultras has hit a problem so I am considering "backing up the back up images" to Prime if it costs nothing whilst I review my in-house options/fix. Has anyone had experience with Prime on this?

Amazon Photos T&Cs may be of interest.

1.2 Using Your Files with the Services. You may only use the Services to store, retrieve, manage, organize, access, share, and print Your Files for personal, non-commercial purposes using the features and functionality we make available. You may not use the Services to store, transfer, or distribute content of or on behalf of third parties, to operate your own file storage application or service, to operate a photography business or other commercial service

Mark

Just now, M.Chapman said:

Amazon Photos T&Cs may be of interest.

1.2 Using Your Files with the Services. You may only use the Services to store, retrieve, manage, organize, access, share, and print Your Files for personal, non-commercial purposes using the features and functionality we make available. You may not use the Services to store, transfer, or distribute content of or on behalf of third parties, to operate your own file storage application or service, to operate a photography business or other commercial service

Mark

I wouldn't interpret that to preclude using it just for storage. I'd say hey're ust trying to stop it being used for hosting, for bandwidth or whatever reason, maybe competing with Amazon?

In my book you're not "operating" a business when you back up your own material.

• Love 1

Thanks guys - appreciate the quick responses and yes, I'd not seen that bit. It's not a long-term solution I'm looking for just getting over a "bump" in the road - which essenitally is an EX2 Ultra not recognising, or powering, any drives. Until I get a replacement unit I'm a little exposed. Ironically it may come via Amazon for speed!

I'm not familiar with the EX2 Ultra but I assume it houses one (or more) standard hard drives?  I've had two housed USB external drives fail but in both cases there was nothing wrong with the actual drives, it was the USB interface that had failed.  I dismantled them and I'm still using the drives with a USB docking station.

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I wouldn't interpret that to preclude using it just for storage. I'd say hey're ust trying to stop it being used for hosting, for bandwidth or whatever reason, maybe competing with Amazon?

In my book you're not "operating" a business when you back up your own material.

One reason I switched to LibreOffice was that MS has something in its terms of service for MS Office that about the same thing.  The storage for an amateur is probably considerably less than a professional photographer would use.  I'd go over Terms of Service very carefully.  The only photos I have on Adobe's cloud are taken with cell phones and my iPad, no raw photos at all. 

We can argue that we're not really operating a business but are amateurs picking up some spare change, which would probably work fine until someone ran TinEye against your photos, which anyone with root on the cloud can do, and found your photo in a major publication or in a major ad.  

Probably not a problem until it is.

• Like 1

On 03/12/2022 at 17:04, spacecadet said:

Yup, that was my interpretation as well - it is after all just a backup.

For clarity you would need to ask Amazon, explaining the circumstances.  Personally I wouldn't do it, as it seems pretty clear that it is for amateur usage only.  The cost of backup storage at home is not great, and it does encourage good housekeeping !