Nikon Battery Alert

Flippin' cheek when you charge £80 for a battery.

Sony don't seem to have pulled that trick yet.

Anyway I checked with DK before buying my A55.

I bought a couple of third-party spare batteries for my Sony NEX (takes same battery as A55) for $10 a pop online. They seem to work as well as the original Sony battery. No problems at all. For all I know, they could have been made in the same factory as the ripoff Sony batteries. 

Saw this on another forum earlier this week. Considering the number of problems we've seen with various electronics using 3rd party and counterfeit batteries or power sources, this doesn't seem unreasonable. Nikon's warranty does require that you use Nikon batteries. If someone feels the cost of original Nikon batteries is too high then maybe they should consider a camera that uses standard AAs.

Personally I don't use third-party batteries. I guess I'm just too conservative for that. 

I'm oldskool. I still remember those disk shaped batteries you could only buy in camera stores,  and when Nikons had film winders that held AAs, that I could eat through in a few rolls of film. When they finally came out with the rechargeable EN-EL series batteries that have lasted me for years and only cost $40 a pop, that was good enough for me.

With a new camera I usually buy a spare manufacturers battery at the same time and thenI may add third-party batteries from reputable suppliers if I need to. I have never had problems. I broke that approach with my Fuji X-E1 as the Fuji batteries were not readily available. It is difficult to tell performance of the Fuji and the 2 Hahnel batteries apart.

Interestingly the only problemns I am aware of due to batteries were a Coolpix compact my father had, that was a good few years ago now. It was replaced twice due to overheating and destroying itself - that was with Nikon's own batteries!

After all even Boeing and Tesla have problems with batteries (made by third parties to their specification)

With a new camera I usually buy a spare manufacturers battery at the same time and thenI may add third-party batteries from reputable suppliers if I need to. I have never had problems. I broke that approach with my Fuji X-E1 as the Fuji batteries were not readily available. It is difficult to tell performance of the Fuji and the 2 Hahnel batteries apart.

Interestingly the only problemns I am aware of due to batteries were a Coolpix compact my father had, that was a good few years ago now. It was replaced twice due to overheating and destroying itself - that was with Nikon's own batteries!

After all even Boeing and Tesla have problems with batteries (made by third parties to their specification)

The spare batteries that I bought online for my Sony NEX work fine and look to have the same build quality (on the outside, anyway) as the much more expensive Sony batteries, which makes me wonder if I would be paying several times as much for something just because it has "Sony" stamped on it. It's a bit like buying designer clothes that are made in the same sweatshops as all the other stuff on the hangers. Sometimes the only difference is that one pair of jeans has a Tommy Hilfiger label attached to it, and another doesn't.

Archived