Any advantage (to contributor) in providing hi-res (gt 40Mp) images?

On 15/08/2022 at 19:41, Ed Rooney said:

The tiny pocket Sony cameras have many advantages that make up for the 20 MG. 

Edo

I agree, but due to the RX100 menu system if you need to customise a setting by the time you've delved into the menu system the moment to shoot is often well past. Then a larger camera where settings can be changed in an instant scores more. File size from the RX100 is usually ample.

3 hours ago, sb photos said:

I agree, but due to the RX100 menu system if you need to customise a setting by the time you've delved into the menu system the moment to shoot is often well past. Then a larger camera where settings can be changed in an instant scores more. File size from the RX100 is usually ample.

You're a savvy shooter and you do both live news and stock with Alamy. I don't cover news but I was a photojournalist a long time ago in the film era.

That said, we all have our little differences in basic camera handling. I have no trouble with the menu or changing it on my RX100s. Most of the time, shooting Street (that's Street food Stock), I have the camera on A with a basic f/stop set for the general lighting -- somewhere between f/4 and f/5.6. Shooting RAW, the ISO is set at Auto from 100 to 1600. If I go inside somewhere, I'll probably change the f/stop, open it to f/4 or maybe f/2.8. The only annoying thing I find using an RX100 is I keep accidentally touching the back screen and changing the area of focus. Doing Street, I only use the viewfinder. I want to see all the details in the frame. 

Edo

• Love 1

42 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

The only annoying thing I find using an RX100 is I keep accidentally touching the back screen and changing the area of focus.

Edo

Same here, sometimes it's my nose changing the focus point!

5 hours ago, sb photos said:

I switch that function off.

Allan

41 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I switch that function off.

Allan

I sometimes use the tilt display and touch focus if I'm shooting low down. I might be later on if I can focus on a ground level sign to the left and fill the remainder with something in the distance still in reasonable focus. The small sensor will also help with DOF.

Edited by sb photos

6 hours ago, sb photos said:

Hey, I'll try that! I have a nose. It's a problem I've been planning to look into solving. Turn it off, Allan? Hmm. Up until now, it's just kept me in touch with the shot, not a strong negative. Thanks, guys. 

23 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hey, I'll try that! I have a nose. It's a problem I've been planning to look into solving. Turn it off, Allan? Hmm. Up until now, it's just kept me in touch with the shot, not a strong negative. Thanks, guys. 

My big snitch gets in the way.

Allan

On 15/08/2022 at 16:02, Vincent Lowe said:

I agree with Phil - No..!

Just a note about 2 though 'flexibility to crop..'  I never crop, I leave it up to the buyer who might want room for text etc.  (Copy Space).

I was taught, for news photography. To try to get “talking heads” photos looking left and right, as picture editors like to have people looking in the direction of the text flow as part of the graphic design.  I also try to shoot both landscape and portrait to give maximum flexibility to the picture editor.  I really don’t know if it makes a difference.

• Like 2

On 15/08/2022 at 16:02, Vincent Lowe said:

I agree with Phil - No..!

Just a note about 2 though 'flexibility to crop..'  I never crop, I leave it up to the buyer who might want room for text etc.  (Copy Space).

I was taught, for news photography. To try to get “talking heads” photos looking left and right, as picture editors like to have people looking in the direction of the text flow as part of the graphic design.  I also try to shoot both landscape and portrait to give maximum flexibility to the picture editor.  I really don’t know if it makes a difference.

• Like 2