Question about submitting different crops and color and B&W of the same image.

TJ Parsons

Question

Hi All, I'm new here and happy to join Alamy.  I searched for the answers to these questions, but wasn't successful in finding the answers.  First, I have some photos that look good, and rather different (with some different editing) in both color and B&W.  Should I submit both, or is this something the client can and would expect to do?  If I submit only the color, I would be concerned the potential client might either be looking for B&W or not realize that the color picture is one that would look great also in B&W.  Secondly, what about different crops of the same image-- should you ever do that, or just send the large of the good versions and let the customer decide on cropping?

Cheers and thanks, Tom

7 answers to this question

I have submitted both colour and monochrome versions of some images and I put a note in the 'Additional Info' box with the reference number of the other version.  I can only remember one sale of a monochrome image though.

Cropping:  with a few exceptions I never do, for the very reason you stated - let the customer decide.  He/she might need space for text etc. ('copy space').

• Love 1

everything Vincent said, with one caveat on Cropping, sometimes you will see search where client is looking specifically for Portrait orientation image.  So even if the image was possibly crop-able to meet their needs it would be excluded from their search.  So if you have one that fits, may be worth doing a Portrait crop once in a while.

• Love 1

Remember that the person scanning for photos is going through fast, and if they have the search set for landscape or portrait, you need to have both orientations if possible.   Also, people and no people for some shots. 

• Love 1

I tend to shoot landscape and portrait orientation of the same scene for most of my images. There are the exceptions.

Allan

• Love 2

Same as above…if I can, I shoot portrait and landscape. Sometimes I forget to do that. Many times if shooting food indoors, or some other item, I have sometimes cropped one to portrait, usually a 8x10 if it fits well.

If you look at my first page by clicking on “Images” Under my avatar, you’ll find 40 portraits.  They are important.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

On 01/04/2022 at 17:34, Vincent Lowe said:

I can only remember one sale of a monochrome image though.

I think Alamy want more monochromes. One of my monochromes has twice been used on the Alamy home page (before it changed to the “own the blank” nonsense).  You are not paid for this, or even notified, which meant I only saw these by chance, but it was nice to see.

Graham

• Love 1
  • Like 1