Fuji X firmware updates

Oh this is confusing LOL.  Thanks for the link but I didn't read all the way to the bottom where it indicates the update isn't available until December 19th (not sure why Fuji would do that).  I'll keep it in mind!  Thanks for letting us know!

Fuji X Pro1 update is next week, 5th December while the X-E1, X-E2 & X100s are on the 19th December.

If you own an X-A1 or X-M1, there is a new firmware update out now.

There are also updates for the 18mm and 27mm lenses so they can take advantage of the new AF system on the X-E2.

If you click on the links it will take you to the correct page.

Details below regarding what to expect for each camera. The X Pro1 receives the same features as the E1 with one additional feature of it's own for the OVF

1. New fuctionality allowing you to edit image filenames

An image filename (DSCF***) is automatically allocated to each picture when shooting, this can now be changed to your filename of choice.* This added functionality is useful when organising the images after shooting, and sorting the images into groups.

2. Improvement of RAW file conversion function

• When developing RAF images in-camera using the built-in RAW file converter, the firmware upgrade improves the flow by taking you back to the original RAF image once the conversion has been done, whereas before it left you with the converted JPG file on screen and the user had to go back to the next RAF file manually.

<Updates available for the X-E1, X-PRO1 and X100S>

3. See the exposure setting in live-view and histogram

• The images and histogram will reflect current exposure levels (with the shutter speed and aperture set during manual exposure also displayed on the image). In scenarios where the live view and the final shot will appear differently, eg: when using flash, this setting can be turned off.

4. Change of numbering for images shot using continuous shooting

• When shooting using continuous shooting, only the first image is currently displayed in full screen and subsequent frames are displayed in small on the bottom right, and the file number was set as “S+7-digit number”. With the new firmware, all frames in continuous shooting are displayed as full screen shots in playback. The file number has also been altered to follow numerically as per standard single shots, thereby allowing uniform management of images after shooting.

5. Aperture and shutter speed can be changed once AE lock is selected

• The aperture or shutter speed can be changed while maintaining exposure (EV value) with the AE lock button. The photographer has the ability to tweak settings down to the very last moment before shooting.

<Updates available for the X-E1, X-PRO1>

6. The default and maximum sensitivity and minimum shutter speed can be set when ISO AUTO is selected

• When selecting “AUTO” in the ISO setting, users can also set standard ISO, Maximum ISO and a low-speed shutter limit. The Low-speed shutter limit has been extended to 1/500 seconds.

<Updates available for the X100S>

7. Improve the cover range and accuracy of the bright frame in the OVF

• By maintaining the position of the bright frame with parallax compensation during AF lock, the shooting area can be checked even when letting go of the shutter release.

From the X-PRO1 press release

Improve the cover range and accuracy of the bright frame in the OVF

• The cover range of the bright frame displaying the shooting area in the optical viewfinder has been improved so that a field of view closer to the actual image can be checked. By maintaining the position of the bright frame with parallax compensation during AF lock, the shooting area can be checked even when letting go of the shutter release.

Derpite being discontinued Fuji's X-E1 and X100 continue to improve with firmware uodates. Are you paing attention Canon, Nikon et al? Fuji recognise that when a camera is discontinued owners continue to use them; I think Fuji approach is a great (and relatively inexpensive) way pof building brand loyalty in a market where products change so frequently.

Derpite being discontinued Fuji's X-E1 and X100 continue to improve with firmware uodates. Are you paing attention Canon, Nikon et al? Fuji recognise that when a camera is discontinued owners continue to use them; I think Fuji approach is a great (and relatively inexpensive) way pof building brand loyalty in a market where products change so frequently.

+1 Have been delighted with the changes to my little X100 with the new firmware, quicker start up and a much improved focus point selection.

Am looking forward to the XPro 1 successor as I think it may well be a system for traveling light with.

• 3 weeks later...

The Updates are now available..... :)

X-Pro1

X-E1

X-E2

X100s

Edit..... Warning.....Please note, you will have to enter ALL your settings again! SO if you have made any alterations it is best to go through and check it is set as you want it. No problems so far with either the X-Pro or X-E1.

Many thanks for the reminder and warning Duncan. Firmware updated and looking forward to trying the new features on my X-E1, particularly Auto ISO with additional settings. Would be interested to hear what max ISO and min shutter speed other X-E1/X-Pro owners are going to use.

The Fuji system (I have an X-Pro 1 and X100) is great in terms of file quality and so intuitive and easy to use; I am also delighted that Fuji are supporting discontinued models as I didn't rush to upgrade to a X100s; very many thanks for the updates.

Many thanks for the reminder and warning Duncan. Firmware updated and looking forward to trying the new features on my X-E1, particularly Auto ISO with additional settings. Would be interested to hear what max ISO and min shutter speed other X-E1/X-Pro owners are going to use.

I have used (and submitted) images to Alamy that were taken at up to 6400 iso using my X-Pro1 and my X100s - that's all prior to the update....most recently as last weekend.

One thing I will warn against is that the auto iso with minimum shutter speed came with the X100s.  I was delighted to see this...until I read in the manual that came with the camera that the camera has the ability to override the functionality (rather than stop you from taking pics).  I hope this update fixes that.

I have used (and submitted) images to Alamy that were taken at up to 6400 iso using my X-Pro1 and my X100s - that's all prior to the update....most recently as last weekend.

One thing I will warn against is that the auto iso with minimum shutter speed came with the X100s.  I was delighted to see this...until I read in the manual that came with the camera that the camera has the ability to override the functionality (rather than stop you from taking pics).  I hope this update fixes that.

The X-E1 seems to override it which is a bit annoying.  I'll still have to keep an eye on speed or up the ISO much more.

Pearl

If you mean it does it stop at the min shutter speed no matter what, even if it means it would be under exposed then the answer is no. I did a test and set the max ISO to 3200 and speed to 1/60 and kept cranking up the Aperture until it failed. It pushed the speed further and further below 1/60th. It's better than what it was though and I would think in 99% of cases will be fine. Well, for me anyway.

To be honest, I've just set the max ISO to 6400 for the times when light is changing fast. It will rarely be needed and at least it ensures the correct speed is used.

Interesting replies regarding max ISO settings and min shutter speeds. I'm also wondering what in-camera Noise Reduction settings are people using, or are you relying mainly on post processing?

Regards

John

I use Raw (Capture One Pro 7) so this doesn't really matter to me most of the time (it doesn't affect the the raw data). However, I do set noise reduction to -2 and Sharpness to -1 for those times I do need jpg's. This way it helps reduce the chance of the watercolour effect with the OOC jpg's.

For hand held shots I usually shoot in shutter priority so would really like to be able to set a maximum aperture, e.g. nothing wider than f5.6, and let the ISO take care of its self but this isn't an option.  There may be a good reason for this or maybe manufacturers just haven't thought of it.  Better still I would like to be able to set both speed and aperture and let the ISO change.  I know this can be done in manual but then you can't compensate e.g. for snow or black cats in a coal shed.  Perhaps I just want too much!!

Pearl

For hand held shots I usually shoot in shutter priority so would really like to be able to set a maximum aperture, e.g. nothing wider than f5.6, and let the ISO take care of its self but this isn't an option.  There may be a good reason for this or maybe manufacturers just haven't thought of it.  Better still I would like to be able to set both speed and aperture and let the ISO change.  I know this can be done in manual but then you can't compensate e.g. for snow or black cats in a coal shed.  Perhaps I just want too much!!

Pearl

If we didn't want to much we wouldn't end up with new features  :D

Interesting replies regarding max ISO settings and min shutter speeds. I'm also wondering what in-camera Noise Reduction settings are people using, or are you relying mainly on post processing?

Regards

John

I am using most of the images in jpg format - straight out of the camera.  Maybe a little cropping, maybe a little noise reduction (when shooting at high iso) but that's about it.  I like either the velvia or provia setting but that's about it.

Pearl

I agree Pearl - that was my hopes as well.

Further to the above.

May I remind everyone that to make full use of the Fuji camera body updates, such as "Phase detection", it is necessary to also update your Fuji lens firmware too.

The updates are all on the fuji site.

Allan

Archived