Bridge problems

I just updated PS, Bridge and LR Classic. I want to keyword images in Bridge as I always do, and the Keyword and Caption fields in metadata are gone. Even if I highlight images I’ve already tagged and uploaded, I can’t see those fields. I Googled the problem and there is nothing about it.

I realize I can do it in Image Manager, but that won’t allow me to use all the templates I have set up.

At the top where it says Essentials, Libraries, filmstrip, Output, Metadata, and Keywords, do you have Metadata highlighted? Click on that and see what happens.

Hopefully Rico’s suggestion works for you Betty.  I too just had a glitch happen in Bridge. I am using version 19 and have always been able to open Jpegs in Camera Raw but now I get a message saying that I can’t use Camera Raw with this version.  Yes, I use Camera Raw for converting RAW images but sometimes I want to tweak a jpeg in Camera Raw and it has worked beautifully…until now.

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I just updated PS, Bridge and LR Classic. I want to keyword images in Bridge as I always do, and the Keyword and Caption fields in metadata are gone. Even if I highlight images I’ve already tagged and uploaded, I can’t see those fields. I Googled the problem and there is nothing about it.

I realize I can do it in Image Manager, but that won’t allow me to use all the templates I have set up.

Don't panic Betty. This is really simple. There are numerous ways to get it to how you want it as it is all completely customisable. A really simple way to do this is to hit Window-Workspace-Reset Standard Workspaces. Then choose say the Essentials Workspace either by clicking on the button at the top or choosing the menu option. You then have a basic workspace which shows Metadata and Keywords in panels on the right hand side as well as some other panels. You can choose whatever panels you want to show or not by right-clicking on them. You can save your own workspace if you want. And the metadata templates should be readily available.

Edited by MDM

34 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Hopefully Rico’s suggestion works for you Betty.  I too just had a glitch happen in Bridge. I am using version 19 and have always been able to open Jpegs in Camera Raw but now I get a message saying that I can’t use Camera Raw with this version.  Yes, I use Camera Raw for converting RAW images but sometimes I want to tweak a jpeg in Camera Raw and it has worked beautifully…until now.

You can open a JPEG into Photoshop and then use the Camera Raw filter in the Filter menu. It should do exactly the same thing as you are trying to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Betty LaRue said:

Oh, thank you. I absolutely hate when Adobe changes things that don’t need changed. Updates that are useful? I’m good with that. Updates just because the developers are bored? Not so much.

Something obviously just got reset in the update. If you follow what I said, you will be in control - much better 😀.

38 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Oh, darn. I occasionally have done that myself. 🥺

7 minutes ago, MDM said:

Something obviously just got reset in the update. If you follow what I said, you will be in control - much better 😀.

I don’t much like Adobe people sitting around and discussing how they can throw Betty for a loop. Again. And again. I discovered if I clicked on the three lines top right, I could get the missing fields. But the minute I went away from the image, they went away again and I couldn’t see a place to put a check mark to keep it visible. I’ll try some of the suggestions tomorrow. I got a looong phone call that took up my editing time. I can sit here all day and no one calls. The second I turn on the computer, I get calls I have to take. Well…I’m too polite not to take them.

Edited by Betty LaRue

12 hours ago, MDM said:

You can open a JPEG into Photoshop and then use the Camera Raw filter in the Filter menu. It should do exactly the same thing as you are trying to do.

Never thought to look in filters (I don't use them much so maybe that is why).  Fantastic work around Michael thank you!!  I have always said that there are usually two or more ways to do everything in Photoshop and you have reaffirmed this theory. 

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Never thought to look in filters (I don't use them much so maybe that is why).  Fantastic work around Michael thank you!!  I have always said that there are usually two or more ways to do everything in Photoshop and you have reaffirmed this theory. 

When using the Camera Raw filter directly, once you make changes in there, you can't go back and adjust them like you would in Camera Raw.

If you want to be able to go back in and readjust your choices, make your image a smart object and then use the Camera Raw filter.  This will give you the filter on a separate layer and you can double click that layer to go back in to Camera Raw as many times as you want and make more changes or adjust the changes you have already made.

Jill

Edited by Jill Morgan
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Don't mention it Michael. Really glad to help. I don't use the Camera Raw filter too often but it can be useful for a quick white balance tweak. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1