Rosemary Hawkins

Another Plant ID question

Hi everyone, I took this photo at the New York Botanical Garden on November 2, and realized I hadn't photographed the id sign for it (properly that is). After some googling I came to the idea that it's a red pelargonium. Any expert here who can confirm that? Thanks

DJ3T0X.jpg

Definitely nasturtium - grows as a weed here and is good in a salad (apparently!).  

Sheila

Definitely nasturtium - grows as a weed here and is good in a salad (apparently!).  

Sheila

One eats the flowers - they taste peppery - not the leaves which are best left to the many caterpillars which prefer the foliage and leave countless droppings on the bits they don't consume!

I'd like to help, Rosemary. But I just recently learned to tell a tree from a bush. If you have a dog you need a name for, I'm your boy.  :wacko:

I'd like to help, Rosemary. But I just recently learned to tell a tree from a bush. If you have a dog you need a name for, I'm your boy.  :wacko:

I am in the same spot as Ed. I can even have problems telling one tree from another. But if you need a horse identified, I'm your girl  :)

Thanks Ed and Jill!

Don't think I don't have that problem myself!  A couple of years ago at a botanical garden in Newfoundland it first occurred to me to photograph the plant information signs while I was at it!  Otherwise I would never know myself most/all of the time.  For some reason I took the wrong sign on this one though.