Jump to content

Alamy Affiliates


Recommended Posts

Are you all aware of this?
 

https://www.alamy.com/customer/help/affiliate-program.aspx

 

One of my images appeared on a  climate website, Alamy and I were credited but it never appeared in my sales. Apparently there is an agreement between Alamy and affiliates (of which the website concerned was one) that they can use whatever images they like without payment to the photographer. I’m not happy. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you, that makes sense now. Alamy didn’t mention Climate Visuals was one of their distributors in their reply. They just sent me the link to affiliates and said this company was an affiliate. 

Edited by ROC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, spacecadet said:

+1. It's a distributor, not an affiliate.

 

 

what i'm curious is that it's a subject based distributor, if it wasn't for the outrageous fee we pay I think the idea has actual merit, but how does Alamy handle opt-in and opt-out which are based on Country? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ROC said:

Thank you, that makes sense now. Alamy didn’t mention Climate Visuals was one of their distributors in their reply. They just sent me the link to affiliates and said this company was an affiliate. 

 

in the end Affiliate commission is less than distribution, and Alamy would be the one processing payment so maybe shorter timeline, so if you sell through this scheme it probably is better for you, but I wonder if Alamy is using this approach to circumvent people opting out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

what i'm curious is that it's a subject based distributor, if it wasn't for the outrageous fee we pay I think the idea has actual merit, but how does Alamy handle opt-in and opt-out which are based on Country? 

 

I had a mooch in the html and it seems a Wordpress site with the image of the OP being shown directly from the site's server (and un-watermarked) rather than from Alamy's server. 

I think we need some explanation here from Alamy because of the "internet distribution" of an un-watermarked image. Is making un-watermarked images available through 3rd parties websites in the contract? If it is then its another flag against the contract.

Edited by Panthera tigris
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ROC said:

Are you all aware of this?
 

https://www.alamy.com/customer/help/affiliate-program.aspx

 

One of my images appeared on a  climate website, Alamy and I were credited but it never appeared in my sales. Apparently there is an agreement between Alamy and affiliates (of which the website concerned was one) that they can use whatever images they like without payment to the photographer. I’m not happy. 

Was this 'forest fire' a sale? https://lightbox.terna.it/en/environment-sustainability-2021-july

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

agree that the un-watermarked is a big issue.  @Alamy how is this allowed from your distributors and affiliates?

I’ve sent an email querying this, it’s not acceptable. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Two of my web sites are Alamy Affiliates. I only post ads in the widgets though. 

 

https://www.alamy.com/customer/help/affiliate-program.aspx

 

"Step 2: Start promoting and earn a passive income

With ready-made banners, videos and text links for you to choose from, you can get up-and-running quickly. Once you become an Alamy affiliate, we'll send you regular emails with our updated ads."

 

In my affiliate account, I don't see any way to create someone else's images into affiliate links ... 

 

 

https://climatevisuals.org/asset/1857/  is a distributor, not an affiliate. They distribute Alamy images - so if a sale is made, Alamy gets their share, the Distributor gets their share and you get your share. They did not steal your image. 

Edited by kimba
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, kimba said:

 

Two of my web sites are Alamy Affiliates. I only post ads in the widgets though. 

 

https://www.alamy.com/customer/help/affiliate-program.aspx

 

"Step 2: Start promoting and earn a passive income

With ready-made banners, videos and text links for you to choose from, you can get up-and-running quickly. Once you become an Alamy affiliate, we'll send you regular emails with our updated ads."

 

In my affiliate account, I don't see any way to create someone else's images into affiliate links ... 

 

 

https://climatevisuals.org/asset/1857/  is a distributor, not an affiliate. They distribute Alamy images - so if a sale is made, Alamy gets their share, the Distributor gets their share and you get your share. They did not steal your image. 

Thanks for the details. Alamy’s reply said that Climate Visuals was an affiliate. Hence the confusion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would also like to know if an Affiliate is permitted to publish un-watermarked Alamy images on their website. 

 

Then looking at Mick's link this image is used by another website ( and reading their information they claim copyright on all images used but do allow for free Personal Use.)

 

 

This could be a real can of worms.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ROC said:

Thanks for the details. Alamy’s reply said that Climate Visuals was an affiliate. Hence the confusion. 

 

That is weird. Because I see no way through the Affiliate portal to download images and make affiliate links out of them. Maybe there is someone new working in Support and they weren't up to speed yet?

 

The Lightbox link was posted on August 1, so could it be that it just hasn't shown up in your sales report yet? Sometimes it takes months for things to show up. Especially third party sales. But in any event it's a "Report An Unauthorized Use" case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.