I've been using the NEX-6 for most of my Alamy stock shooting since the camera first came out. I also have the NEX-7 and the NEX-3. I favor the 6 because of its better noise control at high ISOs and its friendlier ergonomic. 

I wrote to MS and asked why the NEX-6 was not on their recommended list, but they gave me an evasive non-answer. If you can find and afford the Sony Zeiss 24 f/1.8 (36mm view) go for it. The Sony 50 f/1.8 is also a great lens. You're on your own with the rest of the available optics. 

Hello together,

I am using it also and it indeeds perform very well. I am very happy about it and will never give it away :).

By the way... it is not in the Alamy list but since the Nex 3 and 5 are included it makes it obvious that the NEX -6 is approved. No need to worry :).

Mirco

I picked up a NEX 6 about three months ago as a smaller, more convenient backup camera to carry everyday in my backpack. I also purchased a 55-210mm lens to go with it which makes it perfect for catching birds and wildlife at a distance since coupled with the smaller APS-C sensor it's equivalant to more than a 300mm zoom. Overall the camera is well built. The flash seems a bit flimsy but I never really use it.

I've had no issues passing QC with the NEX 6 but I still prefer my Canon 5DM2 full frame camera, especially for high ISO conditions. It's hard to beat a full frame image and the Canon is faster.

The NEX 6 runs through it's smaller batteries much faster than my Canon so I always carry a spare and turn it off when not using it for more than a few minutes.

If money wasn't an issue I probably would have gone for that new compact Sony full frame camera.

I've been using the NEX 6 and Zeiss 24mm for some months. Its a good camera/lens combination and passing QC hasn't been a problem. Personally, I wouldn't touch any of the Sony lenses with a barge pole, my experience with them has only ever been bad.

The best NEX/lens combo I have is the 5N and Sigma 30mm!

I picked up a NEX 6 about three months ago as a smaller, more convenient backup camera to carry everyday in my backpack. I also purchased a 55-210mm lens to go with it which makes it perfect for catching birds and wildlife at a distance since coupled with the smaller APS-C sensor it's equivalant to more than a 300mm zoom. Overall the camera is well built. The flash seems a bit flimsy but I never really use it.

I've had no issues passing QC with the NEX 6 but I still prefer my Canon 5DM2 full frame camera, especially for high ISO conditions. It's hard to beat a full frame image and the Canon is faster.

The NEX 6 runs through it's smaller batteries much faster than my Canon so I always carry a spare and turn it off when not using it for more than a few minutes.

If money wasn't an issue I probably would have gone for that new compact Sony full frame camera.

Sorry to change the subject somewhat, but how do you find the 55-210 lens balances with the NEX-6 body? I have trouble holding it steady enough with my NEX-3. There is no EVF on this camera, and consequently I can't jam it against my face for extra support. The OSS doesn't seem to help all that much either, especially at the long end. Otherwise, I quite like this lens. It can deliver some very good results. I too find it handy for casual wildlife shots.

This handsome guy (see link below), captured with the 55-210 and NEX-3, leased earlier this year:

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/8/%7BC09ED3F0-BFD9-47E7-B654-A581C23DEDC7%7D/CY131R.jpg

I've found that most zooms (all?) do not function well at the extreme points, long or short. I always try to remember to pull back a little. 

Moi aussi! However, after reading the reviews, I had expected the image stabilization to have been better with this lens.

Good question John. In terms of mass the lens is as big as the camera body--maybe bigger. I guess I partially and sometimes fully support the camera/lens assembly in my left hand and I always take my glasses off while taking pictures so that the EVF is able to lightly pressed to my eye/face. I need reading glasses and just can't seem to adjust to using the LCD most of the time, especially in bright lighting conditions common in Florida. That brings up another minor "con" for the NEX 6, the delay experienced before you can see the image through the EVF. It's not a show stopper but I find it annoying when trying to snap multiple images of a moving subject like a bird. It's impossible to track them.

I've taken a number of hand held images of stationary birds at deep twilight (8pm-an early Autumn day) on a rainy day with the 55-210mm lens fully extended and was pleasantly surprised by the results. I would prefer a sunny day but the shots were usable. Search Sandhill crane or cranes in my port for examples (sorry, I'm on my tablet right now and can't readily insert an image here).

I've taken a number of hand held images of stationary birds at deep twilight (8pm-an early Autumn day) on a rainy day with the 55-210mm lens fully extended and was pleasantly surprised by the results. I would prefer a sunny day but the shots were usable. Search Sandhill crane or cranes in my port for examples (sorry, I'm on my tablet right now and can't readily insert an image here).

Interesting, I keep meaning to take my 55-210 to  Sony repair before the warranty runs out and have the IS checked. I'm wondering if I got a lemon. However, I haven't read any complaints on any Sony forums about  image stabilization problems with this lens. It might just be an issue with having to dangle the camera in front of me when composing. I too wear reading glasses -- on with the glasses, off with the glasses, etc. I really miss my 20/20 vision of yesteryear. Shall have a look at your cranes.

Libby, I've been using the NEX-6 since May, with the 16-50mm kit zoom, and the 10-18mm. I'm never been much into primes.

All of my NEX-6 images have passed QC, including a fair number from either end of the 10-18mm and every mm in between. I like that lens--it has reawakened my wide-angle perspective.

I like the idea that Sony has put image stabilization on the 10-18. How is that working out, Bill? 

Ed, I haven't really analyzed that aspect of it, as I've been satisfied with the sharpness. I might have done that if there were a physical switch to toggle the OSS, but I got off and running shooting with it and haven't done that test.

Libby, I've been using the NEX-6 since May, with the 16-50mm kit zoom, and the 10-18mm. I'm never been much into primes.

All of my NEX-6 images have passed QC, including a fair number from either end of the 10-18mm and every mm in between. I like that lens--it has reawakened my wide-angle perspective.

Just curious, Bill, have you been shooting mainly RAW or JPEG with the NEX-6?

Just curious, Bill, have you been shooting mainly RAW or JPEG with the NEX-6?

John, I've been shooting raw + jpeg, but always use the jpeg for initial selection of keepers in Zoombrowser (old Canonite habit), and the remaining raw to evaluate and process in LR5. Also just jpeg for family stuff, and for some HDR experiments.

Early on, I did look at whether the processed raws were better than the jpegs, and for enough of them they were.

Am I right in thinking that the camera does not have image stabilisation, but the lenses do.

Yes the body is without, but the Sony, and presumably Zeiss,  lenses have it.

Love the NEX 6 with its EVF, but it could do with an eye-cup to keep the light at bay when shooting side lit subjects.

Have expressed my views on the Sony  55-210 before, it's much better at shorter focal lengths than long when some softness is apparent at the edges. Currently carrying an ancient Pentax 75-150 f4 because I think it is sharper - if a deal less convenient. 

I only carry the standard 16-50 lens when travelling very light, preferring to use a mix old Pentax and Zuiko primes and a newish Sigma 19mm f2.8.  The standard zoom is not terrible, I have got shots through QC,  but the old primes are noticeably better. One of my entries into the November cold competition was taken with the standard zoom - snow and Tyne bridge D2B1NY

Well, I finally took the plunge and ordered a NEX-6 body today. The "Black Friday" price of $550 CAN (plus tax, of course) proved too tough to resist. There are people selling used ones for more than that.

After all the glowing reports from you lot, the NEX-6 had better be as good as you say because I have no idea how I'm going to pay for it. I've already put my DSLR up for sale on Craigslist. That seemed a logical place to start.

Well, I finally took the plunge and ordered a NEX-6 body today. The "Black Friday" price of $550 CAN (plus tax, of course) proved too tough to resist. There are people selling used ones for more than that.

After all the glowing reports from you lot, the NEX-6 had better be as good as you say because I have no idea how I'm going to pay for it. I've already put my DSLR up for sale on Craigslist. That seemed a logical place to start.

Don't think that you will regret, super camera ( at a super price)!

Must sell my DSLR too, but will probably hang on until it's worth nothing......

Don't think that you will regret, super camera ( at a super price)!

Must sell my DSLR too, but will probably hang on until it's worth nothing......

I don't particularly like all the "Black Friday" hype (I understand that it has even spread to the UK). However, I thought I had better act quickly. Sony has already moved on to the next latest and greatest, and they shall probably banish the NEX-6 to the overflowing digital dustbin very soon. I plan to keep my trusty NEX-3 as a backup. Hopefully, I now won't need to "upgrade" again for a long time. I'm not sure how well the NEX-6 sold in Canada. I can't remember seeing anyone, other than Japanese tourists, using one.

You've done some terrific work with the NEX-3, John. You're gonna be over the moon with the NEX-6! I will almost certainly be buying the new RX10, but that is to replace my Nikon DSLR gear. I will continue to use and enjoy my NEX-6. 

Archived