Crown Sourcing: Camera Carry Bags on Bicycle?

meanderingemu

Question

Last time i needed something new (winter gloves) this forum was great, so i'll try again.

Anyone have experience with bag to carry some gear, let's say  mirrorless body and two lenses or one large zoom lens on a bike that is not a backpack.  I am starting to have some back issues with a standard pack, so I either have to upgrade to one with a better harness system, or find a way to carry the gear with the load being on the bike.  Options on-line seem to exist, but would love to hear first hand experience. 

thanks 

20 answers to this question

I prefer a small backpack because I feel that the camera and lenses are better protected from vibration that way. However I've also got an ancient Lowepro Adventura 170 which is extremely well made, very well padded with 3 sections and very cheap secondhand, though that is in the UK of course. If I had to I'd put that inside either a pannier or rack bag.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

Last time i needed something new (winter gloves) this forum was great, so i'll try again.

Anyone have experience with bag to carry some gear, let's say  mirrorless body and two lenses or one large zoom lens on a bike that is not a backpack.  I am starting to have some back issues with a standard pack, so I either have to upgrade to one with a better harness system, or find a way to carry the gear with the load being on the bike.  Options on-line seem to exist, but would love to hear first hand experience. 

thanks 

What sort of bike?

Personally I prefer to have my gear in front of me. And accessible. On an old wives' bike you could have a basket with padding and just drop in your bag. Here in Holland almost all children and quite a lot of grown-ups ride with a crate in front. Same procedure.

Here's an example on the bike of an Amsterdam photographer (not mine). He even has a sort of a lid.

My personal favorite doesn't exist anymore, but the Ortlieb Ultimate Classic Six handlebar pack comes close. The lid is not the most flexible, but it's absolutely rainproof.

For size see this one. Camera insert here.

However one can make most camera bags into a handlebar bag. Have a look at this video. Or this link.

Klickfix is another mounting system, similar and compatible to the Ortlieb. This video shows it on a Brompton with an Ortlieb Urban Six. I have always used it's predecessor with an AGU bag. A current bag would be this one.

The new Ortlieb Handlebar Pack QR looks promising, however the mount stays attached to the bag instead of the bike. And it has no shoulder strap afaik. It's design comes out of the bikepacking scene.

Alternatives: Vaude and Thule.

I usually wrap a bungee cord around the handlebars and the bag twice to keep it from bouncing too much, while still making it not too rigid. (Which would transfer every little bump directly to the camera and lenses.) On very bumpy roads I may add a second one around the stem.

And lots of padding inside. A quick insert can be made with closed cell foam and a glue gun in 15 minutes or so. However for an adaptable insert either the wallet or the sewing machine has to come out. I prefer the latter. For patterns, just look at camera bags or backpack inserts. And/Or take the dividers from your regular bag.

wim

8 hours ago, wiskerke said:

What sort of bike?

Personally I prefer to have my gear in front of me. And accessible. On an old wives' bike you could have a basket with padding and just drop in your bag. Here in Holland almost all children and quite a lot of grown-ups ride with a crate in front. Same procedure.

Here's an example on the bike of an Amsterdam photographer (not mine). He even has a sort of a lid.

My personal favorite doesn't exist anymore, but the Ortlieb Ultimate Classic Six handlebar pack comes close. The lid is not the most flexible, but it's absolutely rainproof.

For size see this one. Camera insert here.

However one can make most camera bags into a handlebar bag. Have a look at this video. Or this link.

Klickfix is another mounting system, similar and compatible to the Ortlieb. This video shows it on a Brompton with an Ortlieb Urban Six. I have always used it's predecessor with an AGU bag. A current bag would be this one.

The new Ortlieb Handlebar Pack QR looks promising, however the mount stays attached to the bag instead of the bike. And it has no shoulder strap afaik. It's design comes out of the bikepacking scene.

Alternatives: Vaude and Thule.

I usually wrap a bungee cord around the handlebars and the bag twice to keep it from bouncing too much, while still making it not too rigid. (Which would transfer every little bump directly to the camera and lenses.) On very bumpy roads I may add a second one around the stem.

And lots of padding inside. A quick insert can be made with closed cell foam and a glue gun in 15 minutes or so. However for an adaptable insert either the wallet or the sewing machine has to come out. I prefer the latter. For patterns, just look at camera bags or backpack inserts. And/Or take the dividers from your regular bag.

wim

thanks, it makes sense that a handlebar pack would by better, and setting it up with padding myself should be easy.  i`ll start looking into this.  

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

I've also got a handlebar bag but I don't like the heavy feel of the steering, I suppose you get used to it.

It depends a bit on what sort of bike you're on. Bromptons have a mounting block attached to the frame in stead of the handlebars, but as in that video, it's mostly used for bigger bags. Very stable and no impact on steering at all.

My old long distance bike had a little rack attached to the fork as a way to keep the bag away from cables and the frame. (Pic - not mine). More stable, but the gear was not accessible.

The crates here usually rest on bigger racks that attach to the front axle. Like on the old transport bikes but not as big. (Races here, so yes you get used to it. 😁)

If lack of accessibility is no problem, you could just put a basket or crate on your rear carrier rack and plunk a regular camera bag in. Ortlieb has a great solution for that too: the Trunk-bag. There's also a 12 liter version, the RC (oops: not available right now).

Some photographers use it to put their Domke; Billingham or other classic bag in. I'm not too keen on the bag in a bag solution myself. And I prefer my bag to be waterproof as well. However that will almost always mean the use of a (built-in) cover.

wim

(who has ridden his bike to and in a lot of European countries from Lapland to Crete, but that was many years ago.)

I always thought that purpose designed camera backpacks were so expensive. So I bought one of these

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/173233677328?hash=item2855882410:g:sdYAAOSwo0JWK0Vx

and I use it with a standard rucksack, of which I have a few. It works a treat. Maybe you could buy a regular bike panier system and use the insert as a bit of padding against vibration, knocks, etc

• Love 2

22 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

I always thought that purpose designed camera backpacks were so expensive. So I bought one of these

and I use it with a standard rucksack, of which I have a few. It works a treat. Maybe you could buy a regular bike panier system and use the insert as a bit of padding against vibration, knocks, etc

That is cheap. And it looks good. I have added a couple to my watchlist, especially the foldable ones look clever. Thank you!

wim

• Love 1

5 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Like on the old transport bikes but not as big

Yes, I love the idea of the Dutch transport bikes, though I've never ridden one, they do look heavy though. I suppose we had 'butcher's' bikes over here but otherwise they never really caught on, there may be a resurgence now that batteries are included. Secondhand Dutch electric bikes are being imported over here, my wife's got a very nice Gazelle Orange. I get the impression that electric bike use is so mainstream that the Dutch just trade them in every couple of years.

I also have an Agu handlebar bag, with that Kickfix fitting, if I didn't use a rucksack I'd give it another go but it would be for off-road bridleways so I like the steering to be fast to flick round roots etc. That said I'm not using the bike much and I really don't like riding on the road around here unfortunately, sadly there are frequent fatalities, they don't even make the front page of the local paper.

What is that pole on that photographer's bike? How does he get on?

Edited by Harry Harrison

31 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Yes, I love the idea of the Dutch transport bikes, though I've never ridden one, they do look heavy though. I suppose we had 'butcher's' bikes over here but otherwise they never really caught on, there may be a resurgence now that batteries are included. Secondhand Dutch electric bikes are being imported over here, my wife's got a very nice Gazelle Orange. I get the impression that electric bike use is so mainstream that the Dutch just trade them in every couple of years.

actually saw one local photographer who has a cargo bike, obviously not only for photo, who had it full of gear loaded in the cargo.  it looked a but heavy, but practical.  

6 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

agree with wim these look really good.  also means i can use it with my existing pack with a good harness which would remove the impact on my back.  

Edited by meanderingemu
uncapitalised wim

These inserts are great. I have a small rucksack that I use as my photo pack, but when I go on a longer outing its two minutes to put the photo pouch into a bigger pack and off you go. Plenty of space for extra clothing, food, etc. When you no longer need the bigger rucksack the photo pouch goes back into the small rucksack. A dual backpack system for very little expense.

• Love 1

On 07/07/2021 at 17:17, meanderingemu said:

thanks 

For the last 30 years I have only used DOMKE bags.  Only bought a new one when the old one was stolen. twice.

Chuck

31 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

For the last 30 years I have only used DOMKE bags.  Only bought a new one when the old one was stolen. twice.

Chuck

how do you attach it to your bags?  I can't find one that has attachment.  Maybe they are not available in Canada- they only seem to have the shoulder bags here. 

2 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

What is that pole on that photographer's bike? How does he get on?

This is the mast I think.

The photographer is quite tall as you can tell from his bike. But I have no idea how he's transporting his mast.

The fotomast site shows a carrying bag.

wim

19 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

how do you attach it to your bags?  I can't find one that has attachment.  Maybe they are not available in Canada- they only seem to have the shoulder bags here. 

It would be easy.  All Domke bags have sturdy eyelets or steel rings at either end of the bag.  You would just use a good metal clip to attach to a pannier.