Help please locked out of my imac

CAROL SAUNDERS

Question

Accidentally locked myself out thought I clicked shit down but clicked something else instead & it’s licked now just gas my name & asking for my password. I put this in by it’s not accepted it even though am sure it’s the correct one 

I don’t have any other options on the screen or toolbars either top or bottom. Google not helping but hoping you can as always ! 

carol 

Well I managed to turn it off and re-start and here I am, I think I must have hit Lock Screen but even so it didn't accept my password which I'm pretty sure was correct🙃 I'm not sure if I shut it down again whether it will ask me if that makes sense but will have a go...

Thanks Vincent for your quick response..

Carol

I will look at this tomorrow as when I go to System Preferences and click the lock to make changes it's not accepting my password and I know it's correct so something is not right, I hopefully will have a clearer head tomorrow.  When I click to change the password it's asking me for the old one but if it's not accepting it ?  

Carol

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Accidentally locked myself out thought I clicked shit down but clicked something else instead & it’s licked now just gas my name & asking for my password. I put this in by it’s not accepted it even though am sure it’s the correct one 

I don’t have any other options on the screen or toolbars either top or bottom. Google not helping but hoping you can as always ! 

carol 

First of all CALM DOWN or not. Actually not as you have made some brilliant typos. It is not a good idea to shit down a computer. Licking doesn't tend to work either in my experience 🤣. Try not to gas your name. This all sounds very organic. 

I had something happen some months back where my Mac was not recognising my password when I tried to get unlock in the Users and Groups Control panel (sounds very similar). If you have important data on the Mac that is not backed up, then back it up first just in case.

Next thing I would suggest is to into Users and Groups, see if you can unlock it and make sure Allow user to reset password using AppleID is on. That is a good security backup.

Then change your password to something really simple as a temporary measure or even don't password it (just leave blank). Hopefully you can do that. If you can, then restart the Mac. Hopefully it will just restart and you can go back and set a new password. if not then it is time to PANIC (or simply reinstall or restore from a backup).

EDIT - if clicking the lock to change the password doesn't work, click Change Password anyway. That is what happened to me and it allowed me to do it without the unlock working. I actually did a clean install afterwards but that probably was not necessary.

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MDM said:

First of all CALM DOWN or not. Actually not as you have made some brilliant typos. It is not a good idea to shit down a computer. Licking doesn't tend to work either in my experience 🤣. Try not to gas your name. This all sounds very organic. 

I had something happen some months back where my Mac was not recognising my password when I tried to get unlock in the Users and Groups Control panel (sounds very similar). If you have important data on the Mac that is not backed up, then back it up first just in case.

Next thing I would suggest is to into Users and Groups, see if you can unlock it and make sure Allow user to reset password using AppleID is on. That is a good security backup.

Then change your password to something really simple as a temporary measure or even don't password it (just leave blank). Hopefully you can do that. If you can, then restart the Mac. Hopefully it will just restart and you can go back and set a new password. if not then it is time to PANIC (or simply reinstall or restore from a backup).

EDIT - if clicking the lock to change the password doesn't work, click Change Password anyway. That is what happened to me and it allowed me to do it without the unlock working. I actually did a clean install afterwards but that probably was not necessary.

I needed that belly laugh, Mick. Not laughing at you, Carol, I would have been horrified also, but Mick’s answer is hilarious. I hope you get a laugh also, to relieve your tension. 😂

13 hours ago, MDM said:

12 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I needed that belly laugh, Mick. Not laughing at you, Carol, I would have been horrified also, but Mick’s answer is hilarious. I hope you get a laugh also, to relieve your tension. 😂

Oh my goodness, I laughed when I read your response earlier this morning and still laughing now reading what I had typed so that's my day made ! - I'm shocked and horrified  and such crazy typos 😄  In my defence I had typed it on my iPhone 8 which is quite small, maybe I need a larger iPhone 😁

On the other hand, I confess I went to an optician last week to get my eyes checked due to my ongoing eye/skin problems.  She said my eyes were fine except from a small change needed to the lenses in my reading glasses - I don't wear these glasses for computer work - maybe I should see another optician😂

Anyway my iMac booted up as per usual this morning but I have printed out your instructions in very large type😄 and will give it a whirl after checking out new iPhones 😉

As always thank you for your help...

Carol

• Like 1

Definitely don't panic. You should have a backup but you really should not have to use it in this situation

You can always simply reset the password.

Here is how to do it if you're running any of the 4 latest versions of the OS, just click the dropdown menu to pick your version - if you can't figure it out the Apple store will do it for you but if it's not under warranty you'll have to pay for it (a friend of mine paid them some years ago - wish she'd asked me first) - here's the info from Apple: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/reset-your-mac-login-password-mh35902/mac

And here's an article from February 2021 from c.net with simple instructions: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/forget-your-macs-password-heres-how-you-can-get-back-in/

27 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Definitely don't panic. You should have a backup but you really should not have to use it in this situation

Here is how to do it if you're running any of the 4 latest versions of the OS, just click the dropdown menu to pick your version - if you can't figure it out the Apple store will do it for you but if it's not under warranty you'll have to pay for it (a friend of mine paid them some years ago - wish she'd asked me first) - here's the info from Apple: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/reset-your-mac-login-password-mh35902/mac

And here's an article from February 2021 from c.net with simple instructions: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/forget-your-macs-password-heres-how-you-can-get-back-in/

Ah thank you Marianne, I've bookmarked that link also !

Carol

2 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Oh my goodness, I laughed when I read your response earlier this morning and still laughing now reading what I had typed so that's my day made ! - I'm shocked and horrified  and such crazy typos 😄  In my defence I had typed it on my iPhone 8 which is quite small, maybe I need a larger iPhone 😁

On the other hand, I confess I went to an optician last week to get my eyes checked due to my ongoing eye/skin problems.  She said my eyes were fine except from a small change needed to the lenses in my reading glasses - I don't wear these glasses for computer work - maybe I should see another optician😂

Anyway my iMac booted up as per usual this morning but I have printed out your instructions in very large type😄 and will give it a whirl after checking out new iPhones 😉

As always thank you for your help...

Carol

Whew Karil - I'm vury glid you diddent  mine me takin de pea.

I have never met you (yet) and I have no idea what you look like but I have these amazing images of you trying to sort out the problems with your Mac and they just won't go away.   I did get a great laugh along with Betty and man did I need that. Thank you. 🤣🤣🤣

Hopefully you have gotten it sorted by now.  

• Love 1

Just now, MDM said:

Whew Karil - I'm vury glid you diddent  mine me takin de pea.

I have never met you (yet) and I have no idea what you look like but I have these amazing images of you trying to sort out the problems with your Mac and they just won't go away.   I did get a great laugh along with Betty and man did I need that. Thank you. 🤣🤣🤣

Hopefully you have gotten it sorted by now.  

Ha ha, when my neighbours boy was growing up he couldn't pronounce Carol so he called me Warrol - it still sticks, and no I didn't mind you at all taking the pea, we all need a good laugh these days and I along with you and Betty enjoyed having one.

The iMac seems ok today so I've not done anything as yet except printed out your instructions in large text 😄

Hopefully some of might get to meet up one day....😄

Carol

10 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Ha ha, when my neighbours boy was growing up he couldn't pronounce Carol so he called me Warrol - it still sticks, and no I didn't mind you at all taking the pea, we all need a good laugh these days and I along with you and Betty enjoyed having one.

The iMac seems ok today so I've not done anything as yet except printed out your instructions in large text 😄

Hopefully some of might get to meet up one day....😄

Carol

If you are able to log on then all is probably ok but I would suggest just checking that you can unlock Users and Groups. If so then leave well enough alone.

I expect we will have a meet-up later in the summer somewhere outdoors in Cambridgeshire but nothing planned as yet. 

4 minutes ago, MDM said:

If you are able to log on then all is probably ok but I would suggest just checking that you can unlock Users and Groups. If so then leave well enough alone.

I expect we will have a meet-up later in the summer somewhere outdoors in Cambridgeshire but nothing planned as yet. 

I've gone into Users & Groups and clicked the padlock to enable changes but it's not accepting my password.  I've then clicked on Password and then change password and when I do this it asks for my old password🙃 it's like Catch 22...

Cambridgeshire sounds good though my navigation skills even with a sat nav leave a lot to be desired, some people were just born without a sense of direction so my car navigation skills bear a striking resemblance to navigating around my iMac 😁

Carol

1 minute ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I've gone into Users & Groups and clicked the padlock to enable changes but it's not accepting my password.  I've then clicked on Password and then change password and when I do this it asks for my old password🙃 it's like Catch 22...

Cambridgeshire sounds good though my navigation skills even with a sat nav leave a lot to be desired, some people were just born without a sense of direction so my car navigation skills bear a striking resemblance to navigating around my iMac 😁

Carol

OK that is what happened to me. Just type in your old password and then create a new one and see if it accepts it. I think I restarted after that logging in with the new password. Just make sure you have anything important backed up if you restart. 

This is exactly what you were talking about, Michael. A sense of community and a feeling of personalities. I wish I wasn’t across the pond, I’d  love to meet some of you.

Carol, you and I could throw arms around each other and mutter about computers, while Michael looked on benevolently.

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

This is exactly what you were talking about, Michael. A sense of community and a feeling of personalities. I wish I wasn’t across the pond, I’d  love to meet some of you.

Carol, you and I could throw arms around each other and mutter about computers, while Michael looked on benevolently.

Sorry Mick I just had to laugh at Betty's remark. I would probably be there too, looking on benevolently.

Allan

We didn't tell you but Cambridge (Alamy) meet ups usually have about 15 of us in a group. There are more members listed but we do not usually all meet up at the same time.

ITMA (Founder member)

Edited by Allan Bell

22 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry Mick I just had to laugh at Betty's remark. I would probably be there too, looking on benevolently.

Allan

We didn't tell you but Cambridge (Alamy) meet ups usually have about 15 of us in a group. There are more members listed but we do not usually all meet up at the same time.

ITMA (Founder member)

Just to say it's not a formal group in any way  - just some contributors meeting up usually for lunch and a chat. James Allsworth has attended a couple of the meetings and was very welcome. I think Allan you are overestimating the number of people attending at any one time saying 15. The first time James came it was quite busy but It has usually been less than 10 and often just a few of us. Whenever we do it again, I definitely do not want a meeting about the contract changes and a big moan. I've had enough of that. 

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I would love to go to the USA again. It's been a long time (went to Boulder Colorado in 1995 or thereabouts). Probably won't happen for a while though. 

7 hours ago, Marianne said:

I think this is only possible if FileVault hasn't also been enabled. It's also worth noting that a simple Password Reset won't provide access to Passwords previously stored in the Apple KeyChain.

If FileVault has been enabled and the Password and Recovery key have been forgotten (or iCloud Recovery wasn't enabled) then I believe there's no way of recovering the encrypted data. Although enabling FileVault may therefore seem to be a disadvantage, the account login password provides little protection for confidential data if the Mac is stolen or someone else gains access. The thief can simply reset the password (as above) and will then have access to all the data and email accounts etc. (and potentially online passwords - if stored in other browsers outside Apple's KeyChain).

Having had a notebook PC stolen (many years ago now), I realised just how much data the thief could have accessed. My home address, my calendar (showing when I was going to be away), the names, email addresses and phone nos of all my contacts, financial information, my emails, etc., etc.) I was lucky, I suspect the thief simply wiped the disk (so the previous owner couldn't be identified) and sold the computer. But it was a sobering experience. I've used disk encryption (e.g. FileVault) ever since. I make sure I can't forget the password, and I've now also turned on iCloud recovery (thanks for the tip Michael - in an earlier thread).

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes it would be good Betty though I think Michael might want to bash our heads together also😄

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

I think this is only possible if FileVault hasn't also been enabled. It's also worth noting that a simple Password Reset won't provide access to Passwords previously stored in the Apple KeyChain.

If FileVault has been enabled and the Password and Recovery key have been forgotten (or iCloud Recovery wasn't enabled) then I believe there's no way of recovering the encrypted data. Although enabling FileVault may therefore seem to be a disadvantage, the account login password provides little protection for confidential data if the Mac is stolen or someone else gains access. The thief can simply reset the password (as above) and will then have access to all the data and email accounts etc. (and potentially online passwords - if stored in other browsers outside Apple's KeyChain).

Having had a notebook PC stolen (many years ago now), I realised just how much data the thief could have accessed. My home address, my calendar (showing when I was going to be away), the names, email addresses and phone nos of all my contacts, financial information, my emails, etc., etc.) I was lucky, I suspect the thief simply wiped the disk (so the previous owner couldn't be identified) and sold the computer. But it was a sobering experience. I've used disk encryption (e.g. FileVault) ever since. I make sure I can't forget the password, and I've now also turned on iCloud recovery (thanks for the tip Michael - in an earlier thread).

Mark

This is a lot to take in.   The more I think about it, I'm absolutely sure I haven't forgotten my password.  In fact when my Mac did an update not so long ago, after it's done, the screen changes colour a bit and a box appears asking for my password which I enter and all is well again.  

If I hadn't hit the wrong button last night, I would be none the wiser - I'm sure it must have been Lock Screen that I hit instead of shut down.  Also I entered the password wrong or right, more than 3 times and it hasn't asked me to restart or whatever.  It's all very strange......

Carol

13 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Yes it would be good Betty though I think Michael might want to bash our heads together also😄

This is a lot to take in.   The more I think about it, I'm absolutely sure I haven't forgotten my password.  In fact when my Mac did an update not so long ago, after it's done, the screen changes colour a bit and a box appears asking for my password which I enter and all is well again.  

If I hadn't hit the wrong button last night, I would be none the wiser - I'm sure it must have been Lock Screen that I hit instead of shut down.  Also I entered the password wrong or right, more than 3 times and it hasn't asked me to restart or whatever.  It's all very strange......

Carol

You don't need to worry about what Mark said if you are not using File Vault. His post was aimed at Marianne in any case. As for bashing heads there are others who are much higher in the queue for that (figuratively speaking only of course). 

Keeping this simple - do what I said - change your password if you can in Users and Groups. It worked for me and yes it is very strange. But I did have what seems like exactly the same problem. If you don't change it then you might run into further problems (who knows?). 

2 hours ago, MDM said:

You don't need to worry about what Mark said if you are not using File Vault. His post was aimed at Marianne in any case. As for bashing heads there are others who are much higher in the queue for that (figuratively speaking only of course). 

Keeping this simple - do what I said - change your password if you can in Users and Groups. It worked for me and yes it is very strange. But I did have what seems like exactly the same problem. If you don't change it then you might run into further problems (who knows?). 

Carol, didn’t you say you tried changing the password but it asks for the old along with the new, and won’t accept it? Or am I misreading?

9 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:
9 hours ago, MDM said:

20 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Carol, didn’t you say you tried changing the password but it asks for the old along with the new, and won’t accept it? Or am I misreading?

She did say it won’t accept the password when she tries to unlock in System Prefs but she didn’t say if she tried it in the Change Password box. I did that when it happened to me and I was able to change the password even though I couldn’t use it to unlock. Very strange but that is what I suggest she does if she hasn’t already tried that. 

I just read not to leave the password blank (Apple recommendation) so she should change it to something very simple if she can as a temporary measure. If it doesn’t work then it will probably mean a reinstall. I am betting it will work as it did for me but let’s see what happens. 

• Love 1

53 minutes ago, MDM said:

She did say it won’t accept the password when she tries to unlock in System Prefs but she didn’t say if she tried it in the Change Password box. I did that when it happened to me and I was able to change the password even though I couldn’t use it to unlock. Very strange but that is what I suggest she does if she hasn’t already tried that. 

I just read not to leave the password blank (Apple recommendation) so she should change it to something very simple if she can as a temporary measure. If it doesn’t work then it will probably mean a reinstall. I am betting it will work as it did for me but let’s see what happens. 

Gotcha. Hope it works. Incidentally, I used my card reader for the first time on the new Mac and I noticed way more speed in doing it. No problems with the Adobe products, either, except sluggishness opening into PS from LR. All the saves are fast.

11 hours ago, MDM said:

I think it's the word reinstall that's freaking me out, I'm assuming this means a complete reinstall of the whole operating system in which case I guess a need to do a complete back up of the whole system ? 

Carol