Any other news contributor covering local election count?  The rule have been changed here making it difficult.   I can only cover the count from a viewing gallery yards away from the count.  Good job I have a 600mm Lens!   Also new vetting regime.   I was never sent a notification and when I chased I was told that registration closed last week but an “exception” would be made.  I also had to provide a copy of my passport...   it is easier to get into Downing Street.  Given there are never more than three of us media types at the count it all seems a little extreme  Also anything which restricts coverage of local democracy is a bad thing!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Haven't done any news since the changes here, so can't help. Can you provide a link to new rules, Ian?

I was sent rules that were two years old....  Apparently the guidance has come from the electoral commission, (but I should not speak I’ll of the dead). Local returning officers have absolute discretion. 

• Thanks 1

Ian, I've covered several General Election counts in the past and in one due to several recounts I was there till 6.00 on the Friday morning. Most of the elections this year are local i.e. district, county, mayoral and therefore unlike a general election were the new P.M. would be installed on the Friday or Saturday, the counts for these election may only start on the friday afternoon and may go on over the weekend again due to the covid restrictions. I will not be covering the local count this year, on holiday in the Lakes. So good luck with the 600mm and lets hope we can get better coverage next time.

Alan

6 hours ago, Alan Beastall said:

Ian, I've covered several General Election counts in the past and in one due to several recounts I was there till 6.00 on the Friday morning. Most of the elections this year are local i.e. district, county, mayoral and therefore unlike a general election were the new P.M. would be installed on the Friday or Saturday, the counts for these election may only start on the friday afternoon and may go on over the weekend again due to the covid restrictions. I will not be covering the local count this year, on holiday in the Lakes. So good luck with the 600mm and lets hope we can get better coverage next time.

Alan

I got a copy of the "new" rules this morning.  They are undertaking the counts here (and I know it is different elsewhere), in parts.  County Council elections tomorrow from 10pm then the district council the following day and then the Police and crime commissioners count - but that is someway from where I live and not of great importance to me.   I saw a tweet from Hartlepool saying the journalists have been put in a tent.....

• Love 1

I am covering the East Lothian count for the Scottish Parliament. I haven’t been given any instructions as yet, though one candidate did tell me that they have been told they need to stand in one marked spot. He wondered if he could take binoculars to see what was going on. There were certainly fewer places available for the media since they have to put larger spaces between the staff. At least it is at a more civilised time of 9am on Friday.

Edited by Sally