Different pseudonyms or not?

Annamarias

Question

Hello dear members!

I am for few years at alamy and have now 5800 photos of different themes online. Mainly dogs/ farm animals/ some macro/ landscapes and now I started with historical towns. I always used only one pseudonym, but I am not sure if that was very smart. I think it would look nicer, if I have one "page"/ pseudonym only for dogs, one for animals, one for travel. Would it be ranked better then, too? Because I think my zooms and sales could be better. And I don't know how to improve it. I know I don't make the best pics, but I think they are atleast decent and I think I am not too bad at keywords and titles. And - if I move the photos to different synonyms - would the pictures loose their rankings? Because I know some of my pics are in a very good ranking position, for example "pit bull puppy".

Would be glad if someone could help me with that!

Thanks!

Anna

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

On 19/10/2020 at 10:20, Annamarias said:

Hello dear members!

I am for few years at alamy and have now 5800 photos of different themes online. Mainly dogs/ farm animals/ some macro/ landscapes and now I started with historical towns. I always used only one pseudonym, but I am not sure if that was very smart. I think it would look nicer, if I have one "page"/ pseudonym only for dogs, one for animals, one for travel. Would it be ranked better then, too? Because I think my zooms and sales could be better. And I don't know how to improve it. I know I don't make the best pics, but I think they are atleast decent and I think I am not too bad at keywords and titles. And - if I move the photos to different synonyms - would the pictures loose their rankings? Because I know some of my pics are in a very good ranking position, for example "pit bull puppy".

Would be glad if someone could help me with that!

Thanks!

Anna

I have about 5 pseudos, but wish I had no more than 3.  I have one for plants of any sort including trees, one for all wildlife such as birds, butterflies, any other animal, and one for everything else. Those are the main ones and I pretty much ignore the other two pseudos. Once you get them they are there forever. You can’t delete a pseudo. I did put some of my photos in one of the extras while awaiting deletion, or if some images were what I considered not up to par. Once in awhile, one of those sells! 😂

You might consider making one more. Put a category in it, maybe one that seldom, if ever gets zooms, so it won’t drag the good images down. 
See how that goes for some months before even considering another. Many here only have one pseudo. But I have distinctly different areas of interest with a lot of images in each.

16 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Once you get them they are there forever. You can’t delete a pseudo.

Click Pseudonyms (top right corner of AIM), the Manage Pseudos menu appears and has a delete button which seems to work. (Select a Pseudo first). I've no idea what happens if you try to delete a Pseudo that has images associated with it, so proceed with caution.

Screenshot-at-Oct-21-07-52-38.png

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

This is my experience:

Let's say i had
50 images with pseudo "A"
30 images with pseudo "B"

I wanted to remove pseudo "B"
First, I needed to change the pseudo "B" of the 30 images to "A"

With 0 images in pseudo "B", I was able to remove it.

BUT,

My Alamy Measures graphic were flattened to 0.00 (which makes sense).

andre

Edited by AM Chang

9 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Click Pseudonyms (top right corner of AIM), the Manage Pseudos menu appears and has a delete button which seems to work. (Select a Pseudo first). I've no idea what happens if you try to delete a Pseudo that has images associated with it, so proceed with caution.

Screenshot-at-Oct-21-07-52-38.png

Mark

I'm pretty sure if delete a pseudo, all the images go with it. You can transfer all the pics to a new pseudo first, but make sure you leave at 24 hours for any changes to register before taking any major action.

11 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

I'm pretty sure if delete a pseudo, all the images go with it. You can transfer all the pics to a new pseudo first, but make sure you leave at 24 hours for any changes to register before taking any major action.

Try deleting a pseudo that's in use. (If it's in use, it will say - in use in the Manage pseudonym window.)

A pop-up warning will appear: This pseudonym is in use and cannot be deleted.

And indeed it's impossible to delete a pseudonym that has images in it.

wim

• Love 1

I know these questions have been discussed before, but I don't recall the answers. If you move images to a newly created pseudo and then delete the old pseudo, what happens to the Alamy ranking of the moved images? I believe that new pseudos are assigned an "average" rank, so would all the moved images lose the rank (high or low) that they had in the old pseudo? I get a headache thinking about this stuff...🤕

Edited by John Mitchell

Thanks y'all!

I will go thru old topics on this forums now, aswell.

And I tend to let my pics how they are, all in one pseudonym, but should work on my tags (I read in a topic here that 40+ tags aren't always good).

Have a nice evening!

Whether having different pseudonyms makes a difference or not to image ranking in Alamy, I don't know. One thing that pseudonyms potentially do is allow you to judge which of your own photos work best. e.g. (as a thought experiment) if you have a pseudonym for dog photos and another for cat photos, you can then see which gets most views and which gets most zooms. If you get twice as many views for dogs as you do for cats, then maybe it would suggest that photos of dogs are more worth taking than photos of cats. So it might then help you make decisions on what to spend your time photographing (if performance on Alamy is important to you) and what you might want to try and improve at.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Whether having different pseudonyms makes a difference or not to image ranking in Alamy, I don't know. One thing that pseudonyms potentially do is allow you to judge which of your own photos work best. 

I quite agree. Surprisingly my best-performing pseudo is PjrRocks (also my election slogan) dedicated to photos of lumps of rock.
They consistently perform better than MPs. 

Edited by Phil Robinson

3 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Whether having different pseudonyms makes a difference or not to image ranking in Alamy, I don't know. One thing that pseudonyms potentially do is allow you to judge which of your own photos work best. e.g. (as a thought experiment) if you have a pseudonym for dog photos and another for cat photos, you can then see which gets most views and which gets most zooms. If you get twice as many views for dogs as you do for cats, then maybe it would suggest that photos of dogs are more worth taking than photos of cats. So it might then help you make decisions on what to spend your time photographing (if performance on Alamy is important to you) and what you might want to try and improve at.

Agreed. I was surprised at how well one pseudo did, which caused me to photograph that genre more. They were more incidental images, taken for “what the heck it’s there” while shooting other things. Now they are deliberate. Of course, zooms will tell you a lot even if everything is in one pseudo. 
Zooms will not tell you, though, the CTR of a particular genre unless that genre is in its own pseudo.