Bunny ID?

John Mitchell

Question

This could be a tough one. Can anyone identify this bunny? I have a feeling that it might be an Alaska Rabbit.

Most (if not all) of the bunnies hopping around in the park where I took this picture are former pets that were turned loose by their owners for one reason or another. They then go on to do what rabbits do best. 🐇 🐇 🐇

wild-black-rabbit-sitting-in-a-grassy-fi

Edited by John Mitchell

13 answers to this question

27 minutes ago, Sharon said:

A black beauty... looks very healthy... sorry, can`t be of any help IDing.

Thanks anyway. I may be stuck with "black bunny" rather than an accurate ID.

There was a group of them hopping around. They all looked healthy. Somehow they manage to stay safe from all the hawks and coyotes in the area.

Alaska rabbit looks a good bet, especially if most of the bunnies in the park are releases. In some parts of the UK wild black rabbits are fairly common. These are melanistic forms of the regular European rabbit; melanism basically being the opposite of albinism. It would be interesting to know if this trait occurs in North American rabbit species.

Gareth

1 hour ago, pazmander said:

Alaska rabbit looks a good bet, especially if most of the bunnies in the park are releases. In some parts of the UK wild black rabbits are fairly common. These are melanistic forms of the regular European rabbit; melanism basically being the opposite of albinism. It would be interesting to know if this trait occurs in North American rabbit species.

Gareth

Thanks very much for your reply, Gareth. It certainly does resemble the pictures of Alaska rabbits that I've found online. I'm hesitant to use that ID in my keywords, though, as I'm sure there are plenty of other possibilities. Perhaps it's impossible to nail this one down. Interesting what you say about melanism. I was not familiar with that term.

P.S. Here's an article about these particular rabbits.

Edited by John Mitchell

I have answered you on this subject in your thread on fungi.

Funny thing when I googled "Black rabbit" over here it only turned up pubs, restaurants and sex toys.🤪

Allan

11 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I have answered you on this subject in your thread on fungi.

Funny thing when I googled "Black rabbit" over here it only turned up pubs, restaurants and sex toys.🤪

Allan

Thanks, I'll update the keywords in order to make my bunny pic more "discoverable" by UK customers. 🐰

I have a couple more mushroom images in the works, so I might see you again over at the fungi thread.

Which reminds me of a really bad joke that I made up (I think):

Q. Why was the mushroom farmer so popular?

A. Because he was such a fun guy.

6 hours ago, Nigel Kirby said:

John for identification of most things I was told by another photographer friend that she had downloaded "Google Lens" ap to her phone.

I have now done this and it seems to work most of the time in identifying animals/ insects/ objects etc.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

• Love 1