Pricing Anomoly

Steve Valentia

Question

It's bad enough that in my 16 years with Alamy, I've seen my sales drop to near non existent and their fees tumble to 'micro-stock' level. Now, I find that 2 sales with similar uses have different fees attached. In fact, the lower fee has the phrase 'in perpetuity', which in my view should command a higher fee.  Any thoughts on why this might be?

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Image Size: Any size
Start: 07 July 2020
End: 07 July 2025
One use in a single editorial article used within the digital versions of a single publication. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Industry sector: Travel & tourism
Image Size: Any size
Start: 27 August 2020
End: 27 August 2025
Editorial website and app multiple use, in perpetuity
$ 3.07
$ 4.91
Edited by Steve Valentia

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Volume? Market? Negotiation? Who knows.

I don't worry about it anymore. Well, I do, but you know what I mean. A three figure sale is a very rara avis now. My average this month is $7.

Thanks. Usually, I just adopt a Tabula Rasa and accept the pricing, but I felt that this was such a Nota Bene that I should Carpe Diem and ask about it. ;)

My 'mean' sales amount this month, so far, is $17. Highest $60 and lowest $3.07. Quid Nunc!

Edited by Steve Valentia

20 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

Thanks. Usually, I just adopt a Tabla Rasa and accept the pricing, but I felt that this was such a Nota Bene that I should Carpe Diem and ask about it. ;)

My 'mean' sales amount this month, so far, is $17. Highest $60 and lowest $3.07. Quid Nunc!

Maxime rideo.

2 hours ago, Steve Valentia said:

I have a fwend in Wome called....

Actually the name in the film was translated to spanish as 'Incontinentia Summa'...which was very right and appropriate too :)

Don't what to deviate more the post intention...did you contacted CR for a clarification?

39 minutes ago, shearwater said:

Don't what to deviate more the post intention...did you contacted CR for a clarification?

Good question. The short answer is, no. The slightly protracted answer is...I considered it but having sent them 2 other messages in the last 10 days, both of which were ignored, I didn't think it would be worth the effort and came to the forum instead.

Edited by Steve Valentia

1 hour ago, shearwater said:

Actually the name in the film was translated to spanish as 'Incontinentia Summa'...which was very right and appropriate too :)

So how did they  translate Biggus Diccus? 

27 minutes ago, shearwater said:

I knew someone would ask...hahaha 🙄

It was translated as 'Pijus Magnificus'  😄

I must remember that. It was an obvious extension of the conversation. 😀

Steve’s $3.07 sale is presumably from the Culture Trip website (thanks to spacecadet).  Maybe something to do with Valentia Island.  I had an identical one for Bere Island a little to the south. 

Edit. Just realised I had an even lower one, otherwise identical in June for $2.98. Perhaps the price fluctuation is related to how many images they use in a month.  

Edited by MDM

Actually, Steve lucked out with his $3.07 "in perpetuity" sale. My last one like that was only $2.98. 🤕

It's refreshing to hear some decent Latin. There's so little of it around nowadays, especially over here in the colonies.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, MDM said:

Steve’s $3.07 sale is presumably from the Culture Trip website (thanks to spacecadet).  Maybe something to do with Valentia Island.  I had an identical one for Bere Island a little to the south.

No, not Valentia Island, Cork Opera House (a band on stage). I looked at the Culture Trip website, but I haven't found it, yet.

y4m0NA0wdVetvyWb-IYuhmartBltqhdUYuWgDcZ_

52 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

No, not Valentia Island, Cork Opera House (a band on stage). I looked at the Culture Trip website, but I haven't found it, yet.

I'm not sure that CT ends up using all the images that they license. I've never been able to find a couple of mine either.

On 28/08/2020 at 18:06, John Mitchell said:

It's refreshing to hear some decent Latin.

My pleasure.

Oh, you mean Biggus Dickus.............

On 28/08/2020 at 19:31, John Mitchell said:

I'm not sure that CT ends up using all the images that they license. I've never been able to find a couple of mine either.

I suspect they only report what they use- there's certainly a reporting delay of a couple of months on mine.

5 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I thought that was French!

Oh yeah, it's a Latin language. I forgot... 😎

Felt compelled to reply, in order to qualify for my pedantry license. 1) It's not 'a Latin language', it's Latin. 2) Biggus Dickus is not Latin, it's Python.

In absentia lucis, Tenebrae vincunt.

P.s. I didn't use a bad word.

3 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

Felt compelled to reply, in order to qualify for my pedantry license. 1) It's not 'a Latin language', it's Latin. 2) Biggus Dickus is not Latin, it's Python.

Nemo smartarsem amat.

11 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

Thanks for the clarification. I did take Latin in high school, along with some Python, so I should have known better. Mea bada.

Edited by John Mitchell