Canon 5d mk4 / Lightroom

Good morning All....

A quick question.

I have a Canon 5d mk3...which I am considering upgrading to Mk4.

I use Lightroom 5.7.1 for raw to tiff to max jpeg for Alamy….

If I get the Canon 5d mk4....do I have to up date lightroom software or can I continue to use what I have??

Thank you

Hope we are all coping with covid...best regards to all

Sparks!!

Looks like you're out of luck I'm afraid, see compatibility chart here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

So the Canon 5D Mk IV needs Lightroom 6.7, so will still work with the final Lightroom Perpetual (non CC) version which was 6.14 (as in six point fourteen rather than six point one four), though it seems you have to handle 'dual pixel' RAW files as in the note indicated.

Edited by Harry Harrison

I use the Canon 5D Mk IV but i've got Photoshop CC.

It's the best £10 I pay out each month, always up to date and pays for itself with 2 or 3 sales each month.

John.

3 hours ago, sparks said:

Thanks all....it is what I was expecting.....appreciate your replies.

Best regards

Sparks!

There is a possible workaround. Download the free Adobe DNG convertor from here which will convert your RAW files to DNG format that LR 5.7.1 will be able to open. The DNG converter is fast and efficient and can process RAWs individually or in batches.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

On 12/08/2020 at 13:40, M.Chapman said:

There is a possible workaround. Download the free Adobe DNG convertor from here which will convert your RAW files to DNG format that LR 5.7.1 will be able to open. The DNG converter is fast and efficient and can process RAWs individually or in batches.

Mark

Hi Mark, I seem to remember a discussion on here a while back about converting RAW files to DNG where it was intimated that something was lost during the conversion.

I was looking at doing the conversion myself due to RAW's from my Sony 7 mkIII could not be read by my LR 6.14 copy so I did not take the conversion on but went for LRcc at £9.98/month.

Allan

17 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Hi Mark, I seem to remember a discussion on here a while back about converting RAW files to DNG where it was intimated that something was lost during the conversion.

I was looking at doing the conversion myself due to RAW's from my Sony 7 mkIII could not be read by my LR 6.14 copy so I did not take the conversion on but went for LRcc at £9.98/month.

Allan

Nothing is lost from the raw files as such in converting to DNG as long as you don't choose the compressed lossy format (not sure about maker specific features which Lightroom/ACR doesn't cover anyway). However, any new features in later versions of Lightroom (of which there are many) will obviously not be available in an older version and the Process Version (the raw converter itself) will be the older one. There is also some issue specific to the Canon 5D MkIV related to dual pixel raw files as Harry has mentioned above.

Edited by MDM

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

What you lose (if you throw away the original RAW) is the ability to process the file in Canon's RAW convertor DPP and any other RAW editors that don't support Adobe DNG (ISTR that DXO is another example?) AdobeDNG isn't as widely compatible as Adobe would like us to believe....

Mark

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

What you lose (if you throw away the original RAW) is the ability to process the file in Canon's RAW convertor DPP and any other RAW editors that don't support Adobe DNG (ISTR that DXO is another example?) AdobeDNG isn't as widely compatible as Adobe would like us to believe....

Mark

Never throw away the raw file. There is an option to include the original raw in the DNG in any case. 

17 hours ago, MDM said:

Never throw away the raw file. 

+1

17 hours ago, MDM said:

There is an option to include the original raw in the DNG in any case

I wonder how you ‘extract’ it again so that another RAW convertor recognises it? All academic really. Far better to save the original RAW.

Mark

On 11/08/2020 at 20:56, sparks said:

Good morning All....

A quick question.

I have a Canon 5d mk3...which I am considering upgrading to Mk4.

I use Lightroom 5.7.1 for raw to tiff to max jpeg for Alamy….

If I get the Canon 5d mk4....do I have to up date lightroom software or can I continue to use what I have??

Thank you

Hope we are all coping with covid...best regards to all

Sparks!!

Hello Sparks....Did you end up buying the 5D4 camera?...I have used the excellent 5D3 for 3 years and just upgraded to the 5D4....When the weather clears here in Ballarat i will get out and use the new camera...

Regarding camera raw compatibility  with the new camera....I was using an older version of Photoshop for the 5D3....I had to upgrade to the most recent version of Photoshop to convert raw files...The great thing about it is i have a paid Adobe subscription  so i upgraded to the 2020 versions of both Photoshop and Bridge...of course the raw converter was improved and the look of the application was refreshed...so pleased buying the 5D4 made me download the current versions of Photoshop....

Cheers Bill

You can also use Canon's DPP4 program to convert the RAW files to Tiff which will work with your version of Lightroom.  You can keep the Raw files and store the Tiffs in a separate folder, but as a long term strategy its not a good one.  The Tiffs will be eating away at your storage space on your hard drives.  With all the improvements to Lightroom it would be worth spending the price of a couple of Lattes or a burger and fries for what you get.