August Challenge: Homegrown or Home brewed

Shergar

My first foray into vegetable gardening - Young tomato plants hardening off before planting in the garden - and Blue Salvia seedlings. And my 20-year-old Wellies (I've done some flower gardening in the past):

starting-a-garden-tomato-plants-seedlings-in-pots-and-blue-sage-salvia-seen-from-above-with-feet-in-green-wellingtons-type-gardening-boots-S3865H.jpg

I need to take and upload some more now that you can actually see the tomatoes. Stay tuned. 😎

Edited by Marianne
  • Love 2

Home-made mince pies

mince-pies-dusted-with-caster-sugar-and-baked-in-miniature-individual-tins-2APJKAY.jpg

Marmalade hoverfly, Episyrphus balteatus, on a white nettle-leaved bellflower, campanula trachelium var. alba.

The only one of my summer garden flower project that I actually uploaded.

marmalade-hoverfly-episyrphus-balteatus-on-a-white-nettle-leaved-bellflower-campanula-trachelium-var-alba-in-a-garden-in-london-england-2C80EM4.jpg

A display of pumpkins, marrows and squashes, Ulm, Germany

a-display-of-pumpkins-marrows-and-other-large-squashes-ulm-baden-wuerttemberg-DFAMAN.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

The August Challenge: Homegrown or Home brewed has now closed a big thank you to those that entered .

I will list the final 8 in the morning so the voting can begin.

Duncan

Edited by Shergar

In addition to growing food for the first time (other than herbs) I hoped to attract more butterflies to my garden this year. Most of my spirea bushes, a great source of butterflies and bumble bees, died off over the winter.  I cut back the ones that were surviving but they did not bloom this year. My bee balm is still only about a foot tall and the leaves are pocked with holes despite my best efforts to control the slugs using only organic methods (beer in tins level with the ground and ground egg shells surrounding the plants-which has worked in the past for other plants), my salvia (those little plants I started from seed over the winter) are 4 to 5 feet tall but the buds are all still green and my few calendula that flowered lasted a day or two, and the tomato flowers are past, various other heirloom seeds are still a few inches tall after months in the sun with tender care, so my only flowering plants at the moment, despite my herculean efforts, are my zinnias. They rewarded me today by attracting a gorgeous swallowtail butterfly - usually I get them near the end of their short lives with ragged tails but this one was perfect. So, here's my final homegrown photo just uploaded (glad we are on California time - it's still the 31st here in NY for 4 more hours but GMT always catches me short). So, here's my butterfly garden:

2CEB57E.jpg

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, Shergar said:

The August Challenge: Homegrown or Home brewed has now closed a big thank you to those that entered .

I will list the final 8 in the morning so the voting can begin.

Duncan

I wrote too much but while you were typing - that's what I get for being chatty - will you please consider my final entry - I was waiting for it to process while I wrote and uploaded it just before 8 pm EDT. Thanks Duncan!

4 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I wrote too much but while you were typing - that's what I get for being chatty - will you please consider my final entry - I was waiting for it to process while I wrote and uploaded it just before 8 pm EDT. Thanks Duncan!

Sure no problem Marianne, I will include it.

• Thanks 1