Is it possible to see your sold photo in use?

emanator88

Question

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been asked before, but once a photo is sold, does anyone know if it's possible to track down where it ends up and see the photo in use? I know we get info like 'Country', 'Usage', 'Media', 'Print Run' etc. in our Sales History, but can we actually know the publication it is used in and view it?

I'm just curious to see what the photos are published in and how they look. Plus, it's nice to see your work being displayed!

Thanks

8 answers to this question

I also use Google search like this "ian davidson alamy" -alamy.com -shutterstock.com -picfair.com -flickr.com This removes most unrelated photos.

To be honest you will not find many.  I am published almost daily in newspapers and newspaper websites (on average 4 times per week) I am lucky if I find 10% of my usage.  

The other approach that can work is to either Tin Eye or Google image search is to check all photos that are zoomed.  

Just be happy with your sales.....

• Love 2

Membership of a public librariy may give you access to Press Reader and you can check out a lot of publications there including almost all of the daily newspapers apart from The Times and The Sun. That’s in the U.K., of course. I don’t know where you are.

Edited by Sally
  • Like 1

On 27/06/2020 at 12:08, IanDavidson said:

I also use Google search like this "ian davidson alamy" -alamy.com -shutterstock.com -picfair.com -flickr.com This removes most unrelated photos.

Well that just worked for me! Thanks!

I had a book interior sale recently so I'm unlikely to find that.

On 27/06/2020 at 11:08, IanDavidson said:

To be honest you will not find many.  I am published almost daily in newspapers and newspaper websites (on average 4 times per week) I am lucky if I find 10% of my usage.  

The other approach that can work is to either Tin Eye or Google image search is to check all photos that are zoomed.  

Just be happy with your sales.....

This is a great tip, I've been wondering for a while where some of my images went and I used this to find some. I also used image search, and one of my images has come up but the article it's been used in attributes it to Getty. I don't have anything on Getty? I guess it went through distribution but the licensing information doesn't mention that on the sales page.

On 02/07/2020 at 06:34, Gareth Sewell said:

Well that just worked for me! Thanks!

I had a book interior sale recently so I'm unlikely to find that.

I have found some book usages by searching in Google Books.  They also sometimes show up in the regular Google image search.

57 minutes ago, MariaJ said:

I have found some book usages by searching in Google Books.  They also sometimes show up in the regular Google image search.

Nice! I'll keep a look out. I've got a google books account too.

On 27/06/2020 at 11:08, IanDavidson said:

Thanks, I had not thought of this. Found a couple of sales yet to appear in my list by using it.