Trouble Uploading

I've been having trouble uploading lately. I have tried both the online uploader and FileZilla, and they both get stuck for a longtime and eventually stop. They first all get stuck (I've tried uploading anywhere from 1-7 photos simultaneously) at 524288 bytes (512 kb, or halve a megabyte) and then Occasionally creep up little by little. I've been able to upload two photos in the last 10+ attempts. The rest all just crashed. Is Alamy experiencing slow servers now? I know the pandemic is of course limiting staff availability, but I didn't know it would also affect uploads... or is it an issue on my end? Has anyone else had this problem lately?

Hi,

Yes for over a week I've found uploading photo either by ftp or the alamy uploader so slow that I've stopped uploading images.

I've tested my internet speeds and also uploaded images to other servers without any issues.

I'm guessing the alamy servers my have an issues.

Has anyone else had slow upload issues?

I am new here and am having the same problem uploading images. It just freezes as soon as it starts, Ive tried different types of files and sizes. I wonder if there will be a fix or do I need to upload by some other means?

I haven't tried to upload anything for quite a while but have never had a problem before. Today I'm getting an upload error under the photos and it says the photos are rejected. Any idea what could be going wrong or is this the same problem you are having?

Just an upload error, nothing further, meaning they haven't actually been uploaded. I've tried a couple of times. I'm now trying via FTP, hopefully that will work.

49 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

If it’s been a while since you uploaded, you may be rusty. Be sure the size fits Alamy’s perimeters, and that they are jpegs.

Perimeters.  That is the length of all sides combined.🤣

Try parameters.😉

Allan

Darn spellcheck, I knew what you meant anyway ;)

I did wonder about that Betty but they all seem fine. Using FTP worked but for some reason they have gone in as one submission for each file!! I left them to upload overnight. It was only half a dozen pics so I hope it doesn't cause a problem, they are all in QC now. I wondered if the web uploader is just going so slow that they are timing out but they all seem to spend a long time loading and then get the upload error under each file. I've never had a problem uploading before. I really hope I don't have a problem with any of them, I have never before, I have three star QC rank so fingers crossed that they are all passed.

Thank you :)

When I was having trouble, mine were taking so long that Alamy must have been timing out and then each image (if it uploaded at all) would also only be one image per submission, with several submissions spread out over hours. They all did make it though QC, though, so it worked out! I bought a new wi-fi adapter for my computer and now I have no problems uploading. This is a newly-built computer, and I think I just had a faulty wi-fi connection that was causing issues. I'm sorry that that probably doesn't help anyone else having problems uploading, but in my case, I just uploaded a batch and it went very quickly and very smoothly. I hope all the rest of you can find a quick solution, too!

11 hours ago, Bella said:

. I won't use FTP again if it's going to load one file per submission.

That's not normal. I've been using Filezilla ever since FTP was accepted here and I never have any problems. It takes a few seconds per file.

• Love 2

Thanks Spacecadet, I'm glad to hear it's not normal. I used Xpiks not Filezilla but I've never had a problem with it before. My internet isn't the fastest so it might have been taking too long to upload. I will give it another go with my next lot. Thankfully they have all passed QC :)

When I was having trouble, both the web uploader and FileZilla were having trouble, but I prefer to just use FTP through Filezilla. Today I again uploaded some and it went smoothly again. I think in my specific case it was just a hardware problem. Good luck!

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Bella said:

Thanks Chuck, at least it's not just me. I've had no trouble elsewhere so I guess I will just have to take my chances :)

Bella,

I have been contributing to Alamy since the "Good old days" of mailing a CD to London....

Today was the first time I have had a problem with uploading via the Alamy web site.

Most of the agents or people that I work with want FTP's but I have never used the 

Alamy FTP site.

One time in over 15 years is not bad, just do not want to see it become 2, 4, etc.

Chuck

• Love 1

14 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Well, if Chuck's had a problem, it's definitely at Alamy's end.

That's good to know :)

21 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

One time in over 15 years is not bad, just do not want to see it become 2, 4, etc.

Definitely not bad odds Chuck ;)